Detention - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detention Reviews

September 6, 2014
How to describe this off the wall horror comedy? Think Scream+ Breakfast Club with body switching/UFO's and time travel ! The dialogue is Diablo Cody-esque and the visuals are unique. There's also plenty of 90's pop culture references to savor.The comic book style opening credits(done ala Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World) were a nice touch. A must watch.
½ September 4, 2014
Extremely entertaining, weird, bloody, violent, original, and very funny.
September 1, 2014
This movie is pure campy fun up until time traveling was involved
½ August 12, 2014
Weird, goofy, funny and intelligently made. Not for everyone. It's a mix between Donnie Darko, Scream and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. A real acquired taste.
August 9, 2014
Probably one of the better satirical movies I've seen. It has a A.D.D. kind of film style to it, almost like a constant advertisement.
August 5, 2014
It's not even a remotely honed craft that director Joseph Kahn showcases here, but he impressed me enough by simply not caring. It's pretentious, silly, and in your face every second, but I can't deny that I had fun. "Detention" is - although sloppy and frequently too hyper-edited for its own good - a unique blend of audacious visual style, hit-and-miss but also creative criticisms of genre tropes, and amusing generational satire.
August 4, 2014
Way to clever for a B movie film. It muddled itself up. It also wasnt sure what it actually wanted to be - zany 80s comedy or slasher horror

July 7, 2014
This movie had me laughing out loud. It is so bizarre, but very clever.
June 18, 2014
It's so crazy and weird, but so so entertaining
June 17, 2014
craziest, absurdist, goofiest, most random horror/comedy you are likely to ever see. It earns an extra star for being different and trying so hard.
May 31, 2014
The special affects were so bad!
May 31, 2014
Fun and different. Faced paced and original.
May 27, 2014
It seems like a cop-out to say this, but I feel like anyone who hates this film doesn't get it, and for the most part that implies you're too old. I feel like I may have been too old, but in my state of flux between two generations, I was able to get it enough to like it on first viewing. After the second time watching a year later, it was infinitely better. I was left with nothing but admiration for its insanity and I followed the plot much better once all the shock was left out of the equation. It's so fast-paced and jams the amount of homage and meta-references usually reserved for spoofing without ever dipping into that easy comedy mine. I highly recommend at least two viewings if you're over 25.
½ May 14, 2014
What could have been an interesting and fun genre-bending teen flick turns out to just be a terrible, terrible mess.
½ May 5, 2014
Detention plays with conventions, mixing genres and providing a great doze of fun to any horror/ sci- fi/ teenage movie lover. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.
April 24, 2014
Freaking awesome movie. Hilarious, smart, very well-written, with great performances from its cast, especially Caswell. Detention smartly blends teen slasher with 80's-90's high school comedies and Scott Pilgrim. It's the right blend of comedy, style, and thrills that more films can try.
April 20, 2014
It's a movie made for the MTV crowd... Need I say more?
April 16, 2014
Tries a bit too hard to be clever and it's messy. It's also a hell of a lot of fun.
½ March 18, 2014
I like it, but I don't.
This film is everywhere.
It's funny, but it falls flat quite a few times.
The performances are good, but is that because the dialogue is easy to perform.
It has style, but it's been done before and done a whole lot better (Mean Girls)
It might be original, but don't be fooled. If you think of films like, A Kings Speech, Pulp Fiction, Pans Labyrinth, Gravity, Blue Valentine, Battle Royale, even most Adam Sandler movies like funny people, the wedding singer, big daddy, and Punch Drunk Love, even though it might not be a good movie because of adam sandler but because of the writer and director.
And yeah this is an ironic review of how teenagers ramble on and try to make more space on an essay because they don't know what to write down.
But I'll finish this off with that this film will have a straight down the middle mix of fans.
March 8, 2014
This was a pretty awful movie that tried so hard to be so many different things that it just doesn't work.
Josh Hutcherson and Dane Cook are the only known actors but neither do anything to remember.
Random nudity and thankfully it didn't feel long.