Detention - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detention Reviews

½ September 6, 2014
*Sighs*...where do I even begin with this movie? First things first, this movie doesn't get the rating it did for lack of effort. If there is one thing I can say about it is that it certainly isn't lazy, which is a trap that a lot of horror movies fall into as there's simply not enough originality and creativity making its way into the mainstream horror picture. The irony of it is that I've seen lazy films that are better than this, a film with far more creativity and inventiveness, as far as style and wackiness. There is a bit of a problem, however. There's so much schtick and pop culture references in this movie that I, minutes after having FINISHED the movie, no joke, couldn't remember about 90% of it. That is a huge problem, in my opinion. There are lazy films that are forgettable because they don't really offer anything fresh, but this movie is forgettable because there's simply so much shit in it that it would be absolutely impossible to remember it all. If you've watched a Family Guy, or Robot Chicken, episode then you know what I am talking about. Family Guy, in particular, goes overboard with the pop culture references and cutaways. This is like the horror version of that. And like later Family Guy episodes, the first three seasons are genius, there are far more misses than hits. I have to commend the film for doing absolutely everything that was humanly possible in order to get a laugh out of you, but, for the most part, this film is incredibly unfunny. There's a couple of zingers here and there. My favorite one would have to be when Riley has her tit exposed at the party, she's called into the principal's office to be chastised by the principal and some teachers. She asked if the video was uploaded to YouTube and the coach immediately retorts back with 'National Zoology.' That one got a very hearty laugh out of me. There were others, but most of those were modest chuckles instead of a laugh-out-loud moment. The coolest scene would have to be Elliot's scene and how flashes back through all the different years and what each trend was during those particular years. There's like 3 movies' worth of content in here, so you can imagine how crammed it feels. Even if all this material was spread out throughout 3 films, it wouldn't be good because it's just not that good. The only thing that would help is the fact that you could take each individual script and improve upon it rather than trying to cram everything, when it doesn't fit, into one package. I also hated the structure, the narrative is absolutely terrible, just terrible. That's not to say there was meant to be one, but they certainly tried to make it all fit together in as poorly-constructed way as is possible. The film is, basically, a random and senseless series of skits. Imagine if a third-tier Monty Python ripoff made a horror movie and this is what you'd get. I realize that comes across as an insult, and it probably is when you think about it, but like I said, I have to commend the film for at least trying something wacky and nuts. The fact that almost every joke misses rather than hits is just a consequence of not really having good quality control. The film is all over the place stylistically and tonally, so that's a problem as well. It's a sci-fi, time travel, horror, comedy, romance, surrealist movie. And I think that only scratches the surface of what the movie tries to be. The fact that it's all over the place might endear it to some people, and that's fine, I don't begrudge anyone for finding something to like about this movie, but boy, it sure took the life out of the film. For me at least. This isn't the worst horror film I've ever seen, because the worst horror films usually don't have this much effort put into them. The problem, as mentioned, is the fact that there's simply too much schtick, and pop culture references, to remember by the end of the film and the fact that there's 5 bad jokes to every good one. Because of that, the film gets the rating it did. I'd definitely recommend it since it is something different in the genre, and we need creativity in horror, and I think this is a film that will definitely cause a reaction out of people. But, for my money, I definitely did not like it at all, give me Cabin in the Woods any day of the week.
September 6, 2014
How to describe this off the wall horror comedy? Think Scream+ Breakfast Club with body switching/UFO's and time travel ! The dialogue is Diablo Cody-esque and the visuals are unique. There's also plenty of 90's pop culture references to savor.The comic book style opening credits(done ala Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World) were a nice touch. A must watch.
½ September 4, 2014
Extremely entertaining, weird, bloody, violent, original, and very funny.
September 1, 2014
This movie is pure campy fun up until time traveling was involved
½ August 12, 2014
Weird, goofy, funny and intelligently made. Not for everyone. It's a mix between Donnie Darko, Scream and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. A real acquired taste.
August 9, 2014
Probably one of the better satirical movies I've seen. It has a A.D.D. kind of film style to it, almost like a constant advertisement.
August 5, 2014
It's not even a remotely honed craft that director Joseph Kahn showcases here, but he impressed me enough by simply not caring. It's pretentious, silly, and in your face every second, but I can't deny that I had fun. "Detention" is - although sloppy and frequently too hyper-edited for its own good - a unique blend of audacious visual style, hit-and-miss but also creative criticisms of genre tropes, and amusing generational satire.
August 4, 2014
Way to clever for a B movie film. It muddled itself up. It also wasnt sure what it actually wanted to be - zany 80s comedy or slasher horror

odd
July 7, 2014
This movie had me laughing out loud. It is so bizarre, but very clever.
June 18, 2014
It's so crazy and weird, but so so entertaining
June 17, 2014
craziest, absurdist, goofiest, most random horror/comedy you are likely to ever see. It earns an extra star for being different and trying so hard.
May 31, 2014
The special affects were so bad!
May 31, 2014
Fun and different. Faced paced and original.
May 27, 2014
It seems like a cop-out to say this, but I feel like anyone who hates this film doesn't get it, and for the most part that implies you're too old. I feel like I may have been too old, but in my state of flux between two generations, I was able to get it enough to like it on first viewing. After the second time watching a year later, it was infinitely better. I was left with nothing but admiration for its insanity and I followed the plot much better once all the shock was left out of the equation. It's so fast-paced and jams the amount of homage and meta-references usually reserved for spoofing without ever dipping into that easy comedy mine. I highly recommend at least two viewings if you're over 25.
½ May 14, 2014
What could have been an interesting and fun genre-bending teen flick turns out to just be a terrible, terrible mess.
½ May 5, 2014
Detention plays with conventions, mixing genres and providing a great doze of fun to any horror/ sci- fi/ teenage movie lover. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.
April 24, 2014
Freaking awesome movie. Hilarious, smart, very well-written, with great performances from its cast, especially Caswell. Detention smartly blends teen slasher with 80's-90's high school comedies and Scott Pilgrim. It's the right blend of comedy, style, and thrills that more films can try.
April 20, 2014
It's a movie made for the MTV crowd... Need I say more?
April 16, 2014
Tries a bit too hard to be clever and it's messy. It's also a hell of a lot of fun.
½ March 18, 2014
I like it, but I don't.
This film is everywhere.
It's funny, but it falls flat quite a few times.
The performances are good, but is that because the dialogue is easy to perform.
It has style, but it's been done before and done a whole lot better (Mean Girls)
It might be original, but don't be fooled. If you think of films like, A Kings Speech, Pulp Fiction, Pans Labyrinth, Gravity, Blue Valentine, Battle Royale, even most Adam Sandler movies like funny people, the wedding singer, big daddy, and Punch Drunk Love, even though it might not be a good movie because of adam sandler but because of the writer and director.
And yeah this is an ironic review of how teenagers ramble on and try to make more space on an essay because they don't know what to write down.
But I'll finish this off with that this film will have a straight down the middle mix of fans.