Detention Of The Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detention Of The Dead Reviews

April 20, 2016
Hadn't seen a B horror/comedy movie in a while. This was entertaining given the material.
½ March 5, 2016
How doth it hang?

A mixture of high school kids ranging from smart but nerdy, popular but shallow, Asian drug dealer, gothic girl, and star football player are all in detention when a zombie outbreak plagues their town. They try to hold up in the school until they can be rescued but these misfits will have to work together to survive. Can these kids who couldn't work together in high school as friends work together to survive?

"Won't the zombies get the munchies?"
"They already have them."

Alex Craig Mann delivers Detention of the Dead in his directorial debut. The storyline for this picture is Breakfast Club mixed with bad, low, budget cliché zombie plot. The special effects were okay and the acting was painfully mediocre.

"You didn't finish!"

I randomly came across this on Showtime Anytime and decided to give it a viewing. This was as bad as you'd expect and had little going for it. This was very straightforward, cliché, and added little to the genre. I recommend skipping this.

"This is dry clean only."

Grade: D
September 4, 2015
A typical zombie movie. Love It!
½ July 10, 2015
Horror/comedy zombie miss.
March 22, 2015
The gothic girl was cute lol
January 10, 2015
very very low budget...felt like they were trying too hard. utterly forgettable especially when there is better zombie movies out there.
November 12, 2014
Horror/comedy.

Better than most in the genre... not really that great.
½ October 20, 2014
Pretty cheeseball, first rule of zombies is when your bit your done, so dont haul around the teacher with her neck ripped open dummies. story is Allright but the jokes and direction come off cheesey
September 3, 2014
It's a Michigan movie, didn't know that...now I do. It's like they ripped off the anime. I'm not really going to be that sad, there is almost too many similarities. Even the title (not detention of the dead, but high school of the dead) identical. I'm guessing I wasn't supposed to have seen that though. It's got a lot of humor, you will see a lot of stuff coming from a mile away if you have ever seen a zombie movie, but it's got a lot of blood, so that is good right?
August 30, 2014
DOTD tries to be fun, but in the end it's just your typical high school stereotypes with the occasional zombie attack. Much of the time is spent held up in a single location, and many of the jokes end up back-firing. It does have a nice nerdy feel to the film, but otherwise it doesn't stand out or outdo any of the average zombie flicks.
August 19, 2014
Guilty pleasure at best.
August 18, 2014
Usually a fan of crappy zombie movies but this one wasn't quite worth the time. Other than a few clever homages to Breakfast Club (the characters consisted of a Brain, Jock, Beauty Queen, Goth and a Loner) it didn't have much bite to it. The effects were above average, thus constituting the 2 stars. Everything else was bad: the writing, the acting, the music. The main reason I even watched was to see one of my faves in it, and he was the first to die!! ugh...
½ August 16, 2014
Nice idea and if I would be, lets say 12 years old, I might have liked it. Its a nice cast in a movie that has its silly moments, making you smile, but does not manage to be more then a try in a genre that has seen better, funnier and more professional attempts...
July 28, 2014
68%

"Wow, if this isn't a commentary on the current state on public education, I don't know what is."-Willow (Alexa Nikolas)

Just another zombie comedy. Could have been called Breakfest Of The Dead.

"Goth chicks kick ass."-Willow
June 9, 2014
Yes, yes it was cheesy and it wasnt as good as shaun of the dead but being a high school student I get most of the jokes that are put in there. It was also gory and violent. All in all it was a good movie.
May 12, 2014
Very stupid, but there are some funny moments!
½ April 19, 2014
It's short and silly, but I've seen far worse zombie films that were supposed to be serious, let alone really bad comedic/parody ones. Plenty of spurting blood here to meet the gore quotient, and a few laughs interspersed as well. Extra half star for death by clarinet!
April 13, 2014
Funny But Just An Average Zombie Comedy!
April 9, 2014
Dawn of the Dead meets Breakfast Club, with references to The Evil Dead trilogy in a zom-com that 's no rival to Shaun of the Dead, but cute enough to watch once.
½ March 28, 2014