Detropia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detropia Reviews

½ December 14, 2014
A quirky and enlightening film about a city left behind and abandoned. It's fascinating to see how a city in ruins is being reinvented as it continues to fall.
½ September 14, 2015
A fascinating documentary about the ruins of the Detroit auto-industy, before the bail-out. The heartache, the hopelessness, and the fight to stay alive. It all seemed real, but when the white hipsters came in, it lost me.
April 26, 2012
A snippet in time that reminds us of what has been lost in Detroit without very much hope of ever seeing it restored to its former splendor. We all know of the forgotten people and buildings and this film is another poignant view of those souls.
February 26, 2015
A great portrait of what has happened to America's great city.
½ December 6, 2014
Eye rollingly pretentious at times, disjointed and politically inflected, yet at the same time heartbreaking and sobering Detropia is not a great documentary but a good insight into the challenges of post-fordist rust belt America.
December 27, 2012
#8 POV aggregate. Documentary Editing Award at Sundance
½ August 9, 2014
A sad tale that enlightened me on Detroit's massive population exodus due in large part by outsourcing American factory jobs. The killer is in the details when watching this movie and hearing of GM being bailed out by America only to have fine print like mandating a 50% pay cut to new hires and eliminating dental and vision coverage for workers. We send aid overseas, we send jobs overseas, yet we don't take care of our own.
August 8, 2014
This movie was boring. I live near Detroit and it didn't bring any new perspective to the city. Other than manufacturing, it focuses on the same thing that every urban Midwestern city has faces for 30 years. Boring.
August 5, 2014
Netflix 8/4/14
Watch this along with Burn and you will have the perfect formula for the decay and downfall of a major American city.
July 28, 2014
Detropia is essential viewing for those curious about the plight and possibilities of a great American City.
½ March 30, 2013
Documentário sobre uma cidade que cresceu e encolheu rapidamente devido à flutuação da indústria automotiva. Interessante o esforços dos cidadãos em continuar vivendo na cidade, apesar da economia quebrada, criminalidade e abandono do poder público.
February 20, 2014
Well crafted documentary about Detroit.....with topics ranging from auto decline to current population trends....even discussions about Detroit as an excellent opportunity for young professionals and artists.....more facts about the city would have earned a four star rating!
December 25, 2013
Maybe this movie marks the bottom of Detroit's decay.
½ October 19, 2013
In light of my upcoming trip to Detroit, I thought I'd educate myself a little on the current situation there. This is a heartbreaking documentary that details the struggles of the once great city's residents and their will to see the city brought back to its glory days. While the documentary focuses on the deterioration of Detroit, the viewer can't help but wonder if this could happen anywhere else in America.

On Netflix now. Check it out, nerds!
October 4, 2013
Wow, poor Detroit - once a thriving megapolis and now bankrupt, didn't see that coming.
September 22, 2013
Flawed but with some good content.
½ August 6, 2013
I kinda wanna move to Detroit now.
½ July 3, 2013
Detropia is a truly haunting documentary about the end of an era. This film shows the despair but also the fight that still exists in those that love their great city.
½ July 28, 2013
Pretty good but doesn't answer questions of how the automakers became so financially strapped.
I guess it is not a big secret though. You do get an good idea of the desperation
In detroit.