Detropia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detropia Reviews

½ July 14, 2013
It was entertaining and well done but didn't reveal any shocking info or solution for Detroit.
½ July 8, 2013
A thought-provoking and well-made documentary that unfortunately didn't offer any real solutions to the issues raised.
July 1, 2013
Everyone in the USA needs to see this movie. Not a whole lot of information, but what it lacks there it makes up for in emotion and soul.
June 24, 2013
Sounds cooler than it actually is, but to be honest I wasn't really paying attention.
June 8, 2013
Interesting and well-shot, but kind of disorganized. For example, footage of 1967 riot with no commentary linking it to current problems. No discussion of globalization. But still important cautionary tale re decline of city with disappearance of middle class. Sad to hear corporation not care if employees can live on their wage. Also sad to see people holding on to past, refusing to consider changes probably necessary to move forward.
June 7, 2013
Got me missing the D...don't worry, a change gone come.
June 5, 2013
One of the more disappointing documentaries I have seen in the past few years. I watched it not long after my own trip to Detroit with some friends and let's just say that we could have made a better film than the hipsters simply by compiling our respective pictures and edgy Instagrams and talking about our trip. They didn't really show how bleak things are or capture just how much the city seems to have fallen. Too much pretentious effort was spent with the cliche opera contrast with the downhearted out of work union workers and shuttered factories. All they needed to do was an architecture tour and then point out that all those grand buildings downtown are abandoned.
June 2, 2013
Excellent documentary on Detroit's past, present and future.
June 1, 2013
A heartbreaking depiction of the systematic destruction of a great American city...
May 28, 2013
Nothing new is really shown here. However, the film gives a complete, stark and sobering portrayal of exactly what Detroit has become, in this have vs. have not country that we've steadily declined into.
½ May 28, 2013
So sad to see the Detroit of my youth, that exciting, vibrant, "place to be", in such a depressing state. My Mom and I rushed to downtown Detroit, as often as we could, we loved it there. Loved the architecture, the people, the concerts, sports, shopping, the "feel" of what Detroit was. And of course the music! We always thought Detroit was such a trend setter. It was hip before hip hop was invented! Sure hope the trend setting qualities of Detroit don't remain. For if the bankruptcy of Detroit is any indication, then the whole nation is in for quite a slide, down to the pit of destruction. I feel like I'm in mourning, but still, somehow, glad I watched it. It makes me wonder, if this powerhouse could be brought down to its knees, then what's next? Who's favorite city is next to fall in the same pit?
May 24, 2013
SLOW, boring, and basically a compilation of pieces that never make up a whole. Live in the Detroit area but learned nothing about how Detroit got to where it is.
May 7, 2013
An intriguing, dark, and eye-opening portrayal of the current state of Detroit and its citizenry. Fantastic cinematography and plenty of atmosphere successfully display the fears and struggles of the failing city's inhabitants.
April 23, 2013
Fascinating tale about the death of a once great city. I wish there were more human stories here though.
½ April 22, 2013
If you enjoy social documentaries I recommend this lil gem on instant Netflix. Not to heavy or deep but a peek into what's going on In what used to be one of the greatest cities in Te US. Makes you really contemplate how far a city can fall.
April 15, 2013
So damn eerie. Watching this, Detroit doesn't even seem like a modern-day American city. It feels like this weird, disconnected dystopian society. It's almost hard to believe that it's a real place that exists in the same country I live in. Many of the people there seem to be hanging on by threads. It's especially astounding considering it used to be one of the fastest-growing cities in the US. Really a riveting watch.
April 13, 2013
An accurate portrayal of a ruined city through the eyes of its residents and believers of a better Detroit. The sense or pride and passion is truly evident and makes even the stone-hearted feel confirmation that there is a much brighter for Detroit.
April 11, 2013
A more resent look at the shit hole that was once known as Detroit.
April 5, 2013
This documentary has a few interesting moments despite the wonky cinematography.