Devi (The Goddess) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Devi (The Goddess) Reviews

½ October 22, 2014
Superb film with a pitch-perfect performance by Sharmila Tagore. Hard to be a goddess indeed.
October 11, 2013
the lead actress was just 14 when this was filmed she is amazing
½ November 12, 2012
An unnerving look at where fanatical beliefs can take us. Beautiful and sad.
May 27, 2012
I loved this movie. The Apu trilogy, were the first movies he filmed, but I could see how he improved in all senses with a new movie. Devi is better constructed than Aparajito, is more original and is full of conflicts. The rule is that a conflict or a problem opens the door to a new problem; this movie keeps you entertained all the time and show how far people can get because of the obsession of religion.
August 24, 2009
Poetry in motion using images. I've never seen anybody carry it off in such a wonderful way as Ray. Story isn't that great considering his other works, but still should be counted as one of his best works.
½ March 26, 2009
A masterpiece on Religion and Desire
½ February 14, 2009
The topics of religion, superstition, and ignorance are treated with great sensitivity in this Ray classic
½ November 24, 2008
Why Ray's name and his brilliant skills as auteur are not better known in the West is beyond me. Here he explores themes similar to many of his other films: religious hypocrisy, the different ways in which patriarchal culture, society, and religion all require (and at the same time conflate) the figures of the wife, mother, goddess, and demoness. Ray's technical skills are astounding here, as well as economic: the flawless editing; the use of sounds and music (especially during a brief dream scene) to convey the characters' emotions; how Doyamoyee's toes cringe when her father-in-law bows to her as "a goddess"; the glance shared by Doyamoyee and her husband upon his return, the slight shake of head, the way Tagore can act with the bat of an eye -- quite literally. While this might not be as technically sound as Ray's later film, Charulata (1964), it is a haunting, stunning piece of cinema that is as relevant today as it was when it was made.
October 10, 2008
wow i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a pretty good movie 2 watch...this has got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...this is the 1st of 4 movies by satyaajit Ray n this is a pretty good 1960's movie 2 watch....its filmed in black n white...its got a really good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...i think that the director of this movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie
½ July 3, 2008
This is religious fanaticism handled in a way that Westerners could never do... in America, it would probably be a broad comedy, along the lines of Dogma and the like. In Devi it's done much gentler, with sensitivity and beauty. The musical score is outstanding.
½ June 25, 2008
Classic Satyajit Ray style movie, with intensity to the core and brilliant execution in every department.... not too entertaining per say, but never the less, a classic watch....
½ May 12, 2008
The scene in which Dayamayee, fearful and confused, refuses her husband's offer of help, saying, 'What if I am indeed the goddess?' is one of the scariest I have ever seen. And while I do agree that Daya is an unwitting pawn in the web of competing male expectations, I don't think that this is necessarily a comment on religious hypocrisy (so it has been suggested!). Kalikinkar is misguided, desperate and self-absorbed, but hardly evil, Uma is a 'modern' young man, who is nevertheless unable to stand up to his father, and Daya is too young and too inexperienced to make sense of the predicament she is in. When her husband wants to take her away from Khoka to whom she has become overly attached or her father-in-law addresses her as "mother", she feels these are, to quote Manashi Dasgupta, "loving gestures". Surely, it is a combination of all these factors that lead to the final tragic outcome. Ray is too nuanced a filmmaker to simplify a complex, human problem or offer easy solutions.
May 12, 2008
?Not to have seen the cinema of Ray means existing in the world without seeing the sun or the moon.? Akira Kurosawa

In that case I am seeing the sun and moon for the first time. The Goddess, otherwise known as Devi, is a simple but memorable tale. Doyamoyee is a young woman living in a rural town in Bengal with her wealthy extended family. Her Husband is studying English, and although she doesn't want him to, he leaves for Calcutta to finish his exams. One night Doyamoyee's Father-In-Law has a vision that Doyamoyee is the incanation of the Goddess Kali, he gets up and falls at her feet. Believing that she is a Goddess, her family and the villagers start worshipping her. Doyamoyee doesn't belive for a second that she is in fact a reincarnation and can do nothing to stop it. Until one day, when a sick child is bought to her and surprislingly is cured. This event leads Doyamoyee to question whther she really could be a Goddess. By this time her husband has now returned and makes an offer of running away from this madness, but she refuses as she can't be sure whether she is a reincarnation or not. When another sick child is bought to her, (her nephew), she fails to cure him. This leads Doyamoyee to run away, and in the beautiful final scene we see her running into the midst uncertain of her fate.
Beautifully shot in black and white and surprisingly good, this exceeded my expectations. I look forward to exploring Ray's work more.
littlecharmer1959
May 12, 2008
"Not to have seen the cinema of Ray means existing in the world without seeing the sun or the moon." Akira Kurosawa

½ April 19, 2008
Another wonderful movie ..
November 29, 2007
Ray is a director on par with Japan's three-lettered-last-name great (that would be Ozu) and this film is as strong as any in his canon. One of the best films about religious hypocrisy ever made.
October 28, 2007
my favorite satyajit ray film, hands down.
½ September 21, 2007
I watched it for Core 7 to get one writing assignment out of the way...I wouldn't have watched it if I didn't have to do the assignment.
September 20, 2007
The movie is a little slow for my tastes; but just about any film from this time is for me (what can I say, I'm not the intended generation). However, this has some of the best acting I have ever seen in any film in my entire life. If only we kept this caliber of acting going...
½ August 21, 2007
Brilliant and (then) controversial movie about the god in you!