Devil Girl from Mars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Devil Girl from Mars Reviews

March 5, 2017
Sounds juicy huh, the poster helps with a full length image of female character Nyah (Patricia Laffan) in an all black, skin tight catsuit, rawr! Laffan actually wears a black mini skirt and black stockings in the movie, so no catsuit. Better or worse? Hmmm...its all good.

OK back to Earth with a bump. The plot for this movie is clearly from the mind of a (possibly horny) male. Nyah of Mars lands on Earth for one sole purpose, she is looking for youthful, strong males to take back to Mars in order to boost the planets dying male population. Why are the men dying on Mars? Possibly from being fucked to death by dominant girls like Nyah? (oh my!). No, there was a battle of the sexes and somehow the women won. This also led to all males on Mars becoming impotent, why? Possibly from having their balls crushed underfoot by the dominant ladies? Perhaps, I don't really know, but these sexy space ladies go around dressed in these ultra dominant, ultra sexy looking outfits. I guess I could cope with that.

Although Nyah isn't specifically on Earth for sex slaves, that's immediately what springs to mind because you just can't help it. And straight away the movies plot is totally compromised because you don't care about the humans or their problems, you just wanna go with Nyah back to Mars to be her personal doormat. K, back from the bathroom, had to splash some cold water on my loins. Right so Nyah lands in the remote Scottish Moors and comes across an inn with various occupants. Each occupant has a different story behind them which is completely and utterly of no interest believe me. Nyah must decide which human to take back to Mars and what to do with the rest, and that's pretty much it.

So straight away, why doesn't Nyah lift off and go elsewhere with more humans to choose from? This inn is owned by an elderly Scottish couple (one of whom is played by [i]Dad's Army[/i] star John Laurie) who are of no use, and various other random people of various ages. Of course the women are of no use so that's three people out, this leaves Nyah with little choice really. A loud mouth American, an elderly professor (always a professor), a child, a convict and a hunchback. Slim pickings right there, maybe fly to a bigger town Nyah? Oh and she kills the hunchback with her sex ray...I mean ray gun! So that pretty much leaves her with only two men to choose from, oh man the tension!

In general this movie plays out in a very simplistic manner, and it goes like this. Nyah enters the inn and jabbers on about how powerful she and her race are and how she will do as she pleases. The scared locals look and listen intently and then when Nyah leaves they discuss what to do. Then Nyah will come back into the inn sometime later and pretty much do the same thing again, the locals listen and then when she leaves they continue with their chatter about what to do and various other mundane side plot issues of relationships and whatnot. Then Nyah will enter the inn again, but this time she might take someone back to her ship to show them around or show them her personal killer robot. Then said person or persons will go back to the inn and talk about what happened and so forth.

Honesty this is the most boring sci-fi thriller I think I've ever seen. All the people in the inn are dull as dishwater and they literally don't do anything of interest throughout the entire movie. The only tiny bits of interest involve Chani the robot (pre-Robbie the Robot!) who shuffles around and disintegrates things, and the part where Nyah zaps the hunchback with a grin on her sexy face. Other than that the whole thing looks and plays out like some amateur theatrical production. Although, credit where credits due, the space ship model effects were quite good, ditto the space ship set which was pretty big. Chani the robot was basic but reasonable as was the ray gun effects. But the finale explosion for the alien craft was one of the best explosions I've seen in these early films. It looks like they shot a small sequence with clouds of smoke expanding, or possibly a liquid.

There are many problems with this movie, the fact that nothing actually happens, there are set ups that don't go anywhere (Chani the robot), the fact that Nyah lands intent on grabbing a male but spends [b]so[/b] long in doing so and merely walks back and forth between her ship and the inn. It all seems so pointless really, after everything has played out Nyah finally decides to take one male back with her only for that male to (somehow) sabotage her ship and its blows up. What a waste of bloody time! Presumably the political message here (for the time) was focusing on gender equality, but I'm not really sure that comes across as it feels more like a male fantasy to be honest (outfit much?). The movies title and poster are misleading, as per usual, as they both lure you in with promises of cheap thrills. I suspect back in 54 Nyah's outfit probably was a thrill (it ain't too bad now) but that simply can't bail this stale offering out.
July 16, 2016
What did I just watch? Well, it reminded me of a case of Clue, with all of the lost travellers (getting stuck in a Hotel/Bar) and arguing over who leaves our planet with the Devil Woman from Mars. Like most have noticed, "men" are supposed to be from Mars, why didn't she come from Venus? Anyway, I give it credit for the creative and bizarre costume/props. Even though her outfit kind of reminded me of a garbage bag. Her eyes are wicked weird, so are her eyebrows. The hypnotic feeling really worked - or it's the slow paced walking back and forth to her space ship during a repetitive drum roll. My favorite part was Robot Johnny! He was absolutely hilarious. In his $2.00 cardboard box, with holes drilled out for Christmas lights, and an old school cop car light stuck on the top of his head. This movie redeemed itself, from him alone.
August 23, 2013
Charming British sci-fi from 1954 sees small Scottish pub visited by a leather clad woman from Mars. Hugh McDermott is the square jawed token American, while the rest of the cast includes Hazel Court, Adrienne Corri and John Laurie who is marvellous as the landlord. The effects are really quite good, although laughable by today's standards and the sets are impressive. Great fun!!
March 31, 2012
What's great about the 50's sci-fi era is that there's an overabundance of movies made of this type and you're likely never to run out of things to watch - if that's your thing. It's not really mine, but I try to be fair and give everything a shot. Basically everything that came out after The Day the Earth Stood Still is either a rip-off or an echo of it, and Devil Girl From Mars is no different. Despite that, it actually manages to be at least a mediocre effort. Things are set up early on and paid off later, the characters all actually have something to do in the story and the effects are decent without really being amazing. The biggest draw to the movie, in my opinion, is Patricia Laffan as Nyah the female alien. Intentionally or not, she comes off as a dominatrix who in the story is looking for men to bring back to her planet for procreation. Now that sounds very juvenile, but the characters don't care for the idea of going back with this lady, even though she is kind of sexy if you ask me. The movie doesn't really go anywhere and they made the alien way too menacing and indestructible for the story, but whatever. It's not a bad movie and it's pretty well-made so check it out.
FilmFanatik
March 4, 2012
½ May 1, 2011
This is very theatrical. It's mainly dialogue. I can't imagine that it would appeal to many people. However for an evocation of a dominant female, this film must have been very subversive when it was released. The value is in the peculiar mind set that produced it. You couldn't find that today. If you liked Irina Spalko, this film is bound to be dangerous for you.
November 7, 2010
This is a strange movie storywise, but otherwise it's a formulaic 50s sci-fi movie. I don't think it's worth taking the time to watch really.
½ July 2, 2010
Not bad Brit 50s sci fi - typified by the line "nothing like a good cup of tea in a crisis" - you can't get more British than that!
October 31, 2009
An art-deco Martian diner lands near a Scottish inn and discharges Servalan's mother, the owner-operator, who happens to have the biggest nose in the solar system. Apparently all Martian women are ovulating and need Earth men to fulfill the job.After impressing her hostages with a huge walking toaster, she kidnaps a male and proceeds to get blown up attempting to leave our atmosphere.
½ September 30, 2009
Invasion from Outer Space!...Sights too weird to imagine! Destruction too monstrous to escape!

An uptight, leather-clad female alien, armed with a raygun and accompanied by a menacing robot, comes to Earth to collect Earth's men as breeding stock.

Och ja den �R lika dÄlig som den lÄter! :D
½ August 21, 2009
Come on, you know you love bad b-movies as much as I do. And this is one of the worst. It has it all, cheesy spaceship, even cheesier robot, bad raygun effects, etc. You'll love it.
½ July 26, 2009
I really need to start watching more 50s sci-fi. This is an interesting view on the women's movement of the 50s as well as biased scientific views in regards to the fear of devastating war and the loss of all humanity.

On a side note, people need to get a hold of themselves and use their head. I have seen complaints calling this Z-grade cinema as well as saying it does not suck enough to be good.

For the time, I think the cinematic effects and the quality of both film and script are amazing.
½ July 23, 2009
Fun movie to watch with friends or an audience in a theater and just make fun of.
February 5, 2009
I gave one star for Hazel Court. Otherwise, this doesn't deserve any rating at all. Let's hear it for women empowerment! Too bad it was such a bad movie to try it with.
January 4, 2009
En kvinnlig föregÄngare till Darth Vader kommer till jorden med sin fyrkantiga robot för att hitta mÀn till att befrukta kvinnorna pÄ planeten Mars. Att döda resten av vÄr befolkning finns ocksÄ med pÄ agendan. Slutet Àr helt ok. Resten sover man sig igenom.
September 11, 2008
Hilarious! The eponymous "devil girl" character reminds of the Mooninites from ATHF. All her lines can be reduced to, "Yes, but I don't think you fully comprehend how awesomely cool everything is on Mars and how puny and helpless you earth people are in the shadow of how coolness."
September 2, 2008
Saw it at Attack of the B-Movies. It was pretty good.
August 23, 2008
Apparently the womens' lib movement on Mars turned into a full scale war of the sexes from which women emerged as the victors and rulers of the planet. But the war resulted in a low supply of male Martians so one female is sent to Earth to get more. As interesting as that sounds, the story moves slowly and ultimately goes nowhere. Some fairly good visual effects (especially an explosion at the end). Based off a play!
April 28, 2008
I know the effects are 53 years old but that didn't take away from the story at any rate! Somebody should do a remake of this classic!
April 28, 2008
British atomic age B fodder - notable for a static script, appalling acting and some almost acceptable special effects (poor robot design aside).
Tremble in fear as Nyah arrives to steal away the men of Earth! Boggle in disbelief as she blinds the natives with her nonsense techno-babble! Fall to the floor drunk after matching the cast whiskey for whiskey! Sleep through the last reel as the action fails to climax!
Actually its not such a bad piece of hokum, notable for a few famous names such as John Laurie, Hazel Court and Adrienne Corri in the cast. Edwin Astley (The Saint, Dangerman, Department S) provides the music, while a certain Gerry Anderson acts as sound editor.
B movie bliss...