Devil Girl from Mars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Devil Girl from Mars Reviews

July 16, 2016
What did I just watch? Well, it reminded me of a case of Clue, with all of the lost travellers (getting stuck in a Hotel/Bar) and arguing over who leaves our planet with the Devil Woman from Mars. Like most have noticed, "men" are supposed to be from Mars, why didn't she come from Venus? Anyway, I give it credit for the creative and bizarre costume/props. Even though her outfit kind of reminded me of a garbage bag. Her eyes are wicked weird, so are her eyebrows. The hypnotic feeling really worked - or it's the slow paced walking back and forth to her space ship during a repetitive drum roll. My favorite part was Robot Johnny! He was absolutely hilarious. In his $2.00 cardboard box, with holes drilled out for Christmas lights, and an old school cop car light stuck on the top of his head. This movie redeemed itself, from him alone.
August 23, 2013
Charming British sci-fi from 1954 sees small Scottish pub visited by a leather clad woman from Mars. Hugh McDermott is the square jawed token American, while the rest of the cast includes Hazel Court, Adrienne Corri and John Laurie who is marvellous as the landlord. The effects are really quite good, although laughable by today's standards and the sets are impressive. Great fun!!
March 31, 2012
What's great about the 50's sci-fi era is that there's an overabundance of movies made of this type and you're likely never to run out of things to watch - if that's your thing. It's not really mine, but I try to be fair and give everything a shot. Basically everything that came out after The Day the Earth Stood Still is either a rip-off or an echo of it, and Devil Girl From Mars is no different. Despite that, it actually manages to be at least a mediocre effort. Things are set up early on and paid off later, the characters all actually have something to do in the story and the effects are decent without really being amazing. The biggest draw to the movie, in my opinion, is Patricia Laffan as Nyah the female alien. Intentionally or not, she comes off as a dominatrix who in the story is looking for men to bring back to her planet for procreation. Now that sounds very juvenile, but the characters don't care for the idea of going back with this lady, even though she is kind of sexy if you ask me. The movie doesn't really go anywhere and they made the alien way too menacing and indestructible for the story, but whatever. It's not a bad movie and it's pretty well-made so check it out.
FilmFanatik
March 4, 2012
½ May 1, 2011
This is very theatrical. It's mainly dialogue. I can't imagine that it would appeal to many people. However for an evocation of a dominant female, this film must have been very subversive when it was released. The value is in the peculiar mind set that produced it. You couldn't find that today. If you liked Irina Spalko, this film is bound to be dangerous for you.
November 7, 2010
This is a strange movie storywise, but otherwise it's a formulaic 50s sci-fi movie. I don't think it's worth taking the time to watch really.
½ July 2, 2010
Not bad Brit 50s sci fi - typified by the line "nothing like a good cup of tea in a crisis" - you can't get more British than that!
October 31, 2009
An art-deco Martian diner lands near a Scottish inn and discharges Servalan's mother, the owner-operator, who happens to have the biggest nose in the solar system. Apparently all Martian women are ovulating and need Earth men to fulfill the job.After impressing her hostages with a huge walking toaster, she kidnaps a male and proceeds to get blown up attempting to leave our atmosphere.
½ September 30, 2009
Invasion from Outer Space!...Sights too weird to imagine! Destruction too monstrous to escape!

An uptight, leather-clad female alien, armed with a raygun and accompanied by a menacing robot, comes to Earth to collect Earth's men as breeding stock.

Och ja den �R lika dÄlig som den lÄter! :D
½ August 21, 2009
Come on, you know you love bad b-movies as much as I do. And this is one of the worst. It has it all, cheesy spaceship, even cheesier robot, bad raygun effects, etc. You'll love it.
½ July 26, 2009
I really need to start watching more 50s sci-fi. This is an interesting view on the women's movement of the 50s as well as biased scientific views in regards to the fear of devastating war and the loss of all humanity.

On a side note, people need to get a hold of themselves and use their head. I have seen complaints calling this Z-grade cinema as well as saying it does not suck enough to be good.

For the time, I think the cinematic effects and the quality of both film and script are amazing.
½ July 23, 2009
Fun movie to watch with friends or an audience in a theater and just make fun of.
February 5, 2009
I gave one star for Hazel Court. Otherwise, this doesn't deserve any rating at all. Let's hear it for women empowerment! Too bad it was such a bad movie to try it with.
January 4, 2009
En kvinnlig föregÄngare till Darth Vader kommer till jorden med sin fyrkantiga robot för att hitta mÀn till att befrukta kvinnorna pÄ planeten Mars. Att döda resten av vÄr befolkning finns ocksÄ med pÄ agendan. Slutet Àr helt ok. Resten sover man sig igenom.
September 11, 2008
Hilarious! The eponymous "devil girl" character reminds of the Mooninites from ATHF. All her lines can be reduced to, "Yes, but I don't think you fully comprehend how awesomely cool everything is on Mars and how puny and helpless you earth people are in the shadow of how coolness."
September 2, 2008
Saw it at Attack of the B-Movies. It was pretty good.
August 23, 2008
Apparently the womens' lib movement on Mars turned into a full scale war of the sexes from which women emerged as the victors and rulers of the planet. But the war resulted in a low supply of male Martians so one female is sent to Earth to get more. As interesting as that sounds, the story moves slowly and ultimately goes nowhere. Some fairly good visual effects (especially an explosion at the end). Based off a play!
April 28, 2008
I know the effects are 53 years old but that didn't take away from the story at any rate! Somebody should do a remake of this classic!
April 28, 2008
British atomic age B fodder - notable for a static script, appalling acting and some almost acceptable special effects (poor robot design aside).
Tremble in fear as Nyah arrives to steal away the men of Earth! Boggle in disbelief as she blinds the natives with her nonsense techno-babble! Fall to the floor drunk after matching the cast whiskey for whiskey! Sleep through the last reel as the action fails to climax!
Actually its not such a bad piece of hokum, notable for a few famous names such as John Laurie, Hazel Court and Adrienne Corri in the cast. Edwin Astley (The Saint, Dangerman, Department S) provides the music, while a certain Gerry Anderson acts as sound editor.
B movie bliss...