Devil Times Five (Peopletoys) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Devil Times Five (Peopletoys) Reviews

½ August 25, 2009
interesting film with some disturbing scenes worth a try id you like the unusual.
½ July 23, 2009
Insolent youths from child's ward of State Mental Hospital terrorize adults in remote winter home. The children effectively cut off lines of communication and transportation and hunt the adults with rifles and beartraps, even adding piranha to the bath water. Far-fetched and at times appalling but memorable.
June 9, 2009
After seeing Eden Lake a while back, I got interested in seeing more films that featured youths terrorizing adults. After some of the ratings I did on Netflix, Sean MacGregor's Devil Times Five came recommended to me. It's a little horror film from the mid-70's, a time period where a lot of great hidden horror gems have emerged from. So I checked it out to see what it was like.

The movie takes a twist on the old cliche of a bunch of mental institute patients breaking free by making the characters children, rather than adults. Unfortunately the movie poorly balances these five characters, and doesn't dig deep into their mental illnesses. The movie has a few moments that made me think these kids were off their rocker, like when David (Leif Garrett) is dressed up in woman's clothing and looking at himself in the mirror. But the film never explains what that was all about, or any other moments where the kids got a little weird, so I imagine it was in the film simply because it was weird and would convince us this kid was crazy.

When the children start to kill the adults, the deaths are among the most brutal to get through. No, I don't mean brutal as in so shocking it is hard to watch, but rather that they are just so aggravating that it was hard to care about the scenes. And all of them are done in slow motion, which is a filming technique I hate. The very first murder in the film probably would have taken about 15-20 seconds in actual time, but it felt like it dragged on forever because of the slow motion.

The adults in the film aren't very interesting either. So it was hard to care for these people as they were getting picked off by this group of children. And if the film didn't have such an awkward hurried pace to it, maybe it could have developed them a little better, and I might have felt bad for them when each met their demise.

Devil Times Five is just a silly movie that isn't well thought out. I have the feeling that the filmmakers behind this movie came up with the film's story, and put it into production too quickly. It is a decent premise, and one that could have had more promise to it than it ends up having. This could have been one of the most shocking horror films to emerge out of the 70's. But, alas, it is one of the more forgettable.
½ June 2, 2009
Not one of the better killer kid flicks, this is often literally in slow-motion. The adults are stupid, but not in a manner that lends sympathy to their tormentors. Boring, with a couple of mildly creative kills that Leif Garrett completists may enjoy.
May 8, 2009
Psycho kids killing jerky adults? Not much win.

Unworthy
March 29, 2009
Goofy but extremely entertaining killer children flick.
½ March 10, 2009
Lil' Leif Garrett and four other demon-spawn fuck up some yuppies in a secluded cabin. The highlight is the piranha scene. Youtube that shit. Everything else I could do without.
½ March 6, 2009
As seen at the first Weird Wednesday at the Drafthouse in San Antonio. The kids are psychopaths and the adults are all jerks. Victory?
½ February 14, 2009
Proof that grown-ups suck and kids rule!
½ October 11, 2008
I was going to make a joke about the real equation of this movie involving catfights and gratuitous filler, but I just realized that I hate maths. The movie seems to recognize that we don't actually care about the adult characters at times, then decides OH WELL YOU TOTALLY WANT FIFTEEN MINUTES OF BORING TURDS DRINKING WINE AND TALKING RIGHT. Baffling, though some fun deaths when they aren't moving in sepia-slow-motion. Seriously, what the fuck was that about?
½ September 13, 2008
Pretty cool old school 70's horror starring Sorrell "Boss Hogg" Booke, and Leif Garrett. Not extremely gory but more psychotic and demented.
September 5, 2008
this movie is just crazy enough to be pretty good....
August 21, 2008
The central conceit of this horror film is that five young psychopathic kids can kill off a group of seven adults. Given its absurdity it takes the edge off quite a bit. The fact that the film is SLOWLY paced and that the adults are defined entirely by their "types" (alcoholic wife and her henpecked husband; sexually frustrated wife and her workaholic materialistic husband; good-earthed good-looking blond boyfriend and girlfriend; Lennie Small-type guy) makes the film even less compelling and more of a chore to get through. It just felt awfully tired and worn and gimmicky.
½ July 25, 2008
Vintage 70's Grindhouse flick about successful white collar types gathering at a winter home fun leisure, only to be interrupted by an adorable gang of escaped mentally unstable children who viciously dispatch each and every adult in the house in variously gory and humorous ways. The story is rushed, leaving one to immediately feel as though it was underdeveloped, but if you watch it closely, you'll see that each character is played well by every actor and you get a sense of what they are trying to pull off, be it the white collar adults or the apple dumping murderin' rascals. All in all, the movie was amusing, and the deaths were pretty fun to watch. This films serves as a great guide to not having children.
July 25, 2008
Rather interesting low budget horror film, interesting characters, a bit ahead of its time. A bit provocative at times, some smart dialogue and interesting character interaction.
½ July 18, 2008
Well made 70's chiller with yet another bunch of killer tykes murdering a handful of uptight men and women at a secluding, snowy mountain retreat after their mental hospital bus crashes.

Despite tales of producer/director/writer fueds on the set, a 38 minute director's cut, re-shoots, re-writes, etc. the film comes off surprisingly well with a few really stand out moments and much better acting than one would expect from such a low budget film.

It's a pretty creepy oddity that one will probably not forget soon after. This is one worth looking for.
July 8, 2008
A lost gem... check it out if you can
its old school
Kids are fuckin scary...
July 6, 2008
oooh...a movie about some very disturbed sociopathic kiddies murdering a house full of people. some of the deaths are neat...one in particular involves a bubble bath and a bucket full of piranhas. but anyway, this movie is very disturbing...especially with the little kid-like music playing during all of their murdering. it's pretty demented...but it's definitely worth a watch.
½ June 24, 2008
Very low budget 70's horror about five twisted psycho little kids on a killing spree. Smart little bastards they were...
Some interesting scenes in this... don't want to spoil anything, but well worth a watch.

*spoiler*

Did they just throw piranhas in a bathtub with that chick?.... why, yes they did.
May 24, 2008
If you've always wanted to see Leif Garrett play a crossdresser, this is your chance.