The Devil's Own - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Devil's Own Reviews

April 14, 2014
An uneven pace and storytelling compromise a promising cast and premise. It starts by building two well-established characters in unrelated parallel stories. One is a terrorist fighting the Irish government; the other is a New York cop with a strong belief in following the rules. Both characters are interesting and when the Irishman comes to America to buy weapons, things seem to take a fascinating turn when he gets housing from the police officer. Regretfully the good execution ends. Somehow, these two men form a close family-like bond. The problem is there is little explanation or development to make those genuine connections. When the action attempts to pick up, the emotional and moral conflict of the two main characters should be intense, but they are not. It loses momentum and slows down, in spite of the action picking up. It is frustrating how brutally uneven it is. To make matters worse ending is sad and unsatisfying. Harrison Ford is a very good fit for his role. Brad Pitt is not as ideal; He comes across as an American trying to act Irish. Still he has presence and holds greater potential than where this movie has. Alan Pakula is a normally a better director than this. I would expect him to tell the story with more feeling, precision, and clarity.
½ March 24, 2014
Good drama, but a couple parts that lag.
March 13, 2014
This movie had me bored out of my gourd.
December 28, 2013
It wanted to be a clever, politically driven psychological thriller, but it didn't quite manage it, instead all we got was another movie about America's claim to be the moral majority. Pity.
November 27, 2013
Wasted most of it's potential. What a shame.
November 12, 2013
Frankie (Brad Pitt) is a member of the IRA whose father was gunned down in front of his family when Frankie was just eight years old. In 1992 Frankie is forced to flee from Northern Ireland following a shootout in Belfast that leaves policemen and soldiers dead in the streets along with members of Frankie's group. Deciding he needs missiles, Frankie assumes the name of Rory, heads to New York and stays with Tom O'Meara (Harrison Ford) and his family. Rory pretends he has secured work at a building site but he and his friend, Martin (David O'Hara) are looking to procure missiles to take back to Belfast to further their cause. Tom is a police sergeant who warms to Rory as do all his family but as time goes by, Tom begins to suspect his guest has secrets to hide. This is a distinctly average thriller with often questionable Irish accents, but there are some decent shoot-outs on offer. The ending is predictable though and unfortunately quite cheesy which takes much of the gloss away.
September 30, 2013
Fine actor he may be but brad pitt ruined this movie for me with that atrocious accent
½ September 9, 2013
Firstly, people need to stop being pretentious every time an American actor puts on a foreign accent - as if any of you could do better, and surprise surprise, it does require a lot of work.
On the film itself, I found that the first half was pretty slow, and the ending pretty sloppy. Certain middle segments were enjoyable, but the action was also a tad cliché.
I wasn't sure whether to give this an overall positive or negative review, but considering the message of the film, I had to opt for negative.
½ August 17, 2013
Mediocrity and disappointment to ensue. How can a movie led by Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt not be great? Well watch The Devil's Own and you'll see. Its not that the movie is terrible or unwatchable, there just isn't anything special about it. Ford and Pitt do as much with the movie as they can but ultimately TDO is marred by a poor script. The pacing is uneven and the character interactions are nothing more than skin deep. If your a die hard Ford and Pitt fan maybe check it out, just don't expect much, everyone else you can feel free to skip this one.
July 26, 2013
Expected so much more with Ford and Pitt leading the movie. It started really well with the IRA in Ireland and you though the move to America would have kept the awesome action scenes going. I think the film was more of a drama/thriller than an action flick. Pitt was very good, Ford picked up by the end.
July 14, 2013
Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt together cannot possibly be bad, "The Devils' Own" proves that statement to be utterly wrong. The only thing worse than the movie is Pitt's Irish accent.
July 6, 2013
What a fantastic movie. I'm guessing a lot of people did not get the point of the movie are probably not Irish. As man man with Irish blood flowing through his veins I can easily understand the conflict of where your loyalties are at. Having the courage to stand up for what's right is thicker than any bond.
July 6, 2013
"The Devil's Own" is a slightly-below-average action film. The couple of action sequences are pretty cool and Brad Pitt's Irish accent is reason enough to watch this film, but the story is just kind of "eh..." and the characters just aren't that likeable, earning a shoulder shrug at the emotional conclusion. Anyways, back to Pitt's accent. If you had never seen him in anything else, you would totally believe that he is Irish. The accent is spot on and this is included in my evidence to prove that he has much more talent than he often gets credit for. Unfortunately, that's really the end of my compliments for this film. The characters just don't develop and the story does not inspire any sort of personal support or opposition for the Irish Republican Army. Realistically, I would only recommend this film to someone who is a huge Brad Pitt fan or who watches so many movies that they've already checked all of the "Great" and "Good" action films off of their list.
May 22, 2013
Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt are both excellent in this movie with an interesting storyline in the vein of IRA filmology.
May 17, 2013
This was a pretty cool film if you ask me.
May 8, 2013
Wednesday, May 8, 2013

(1997) The Devil's Own
POLITICAL DRAMA/ THRILLER

The backstory involves the Brad Pitt character as Frankie McGuire gun battling against the English squat team and then placing him as one of England's "Most wanted" IRA fugitive. After he escapes, he is then gets sent to a new mission which was to go to New York City of the United States to illegally buy arms for the IRA cause for a temporary stay with a respected unsuspected police sergeant Tom Drags(Harrison Ford) and his family and at the same time using a different alias. He then gets himself mixed up with a seedy night club owner but who's also an arms dealer on the side played by Treat Williams. Although, this guy has the weapons ready for him, the Brad Pitt character is then having second thoughts about buying the guns from Treat Williams character because of his bonding with Tom's family. For he starts to fight his own demons at the same time whether he should continue to do this arms deal or not which is why it may be called "The Devil's Own".

After my second viewing, I finally realized why this film wasn't very good at all despite staring two respected actors whereas it almost seemed that the film tried to appeal to American audiences by including a typical American family into this which is an unlikely scenario. As a matter of fact, the film drags it's viewers to this Norman Rockwell- like family before deciding to place the Ford character into an unethical situation himself. Out of all the films about the IRA I have to say this is one of the worst forgettable ones I had ever seen. See "Cal" starring Helen Mirren instead.

1 out of 4 stars
½ April 21, 2013
A disappointing entry in the IRA thriller sub-genre. Ford and Pitt try their best, but Pitt was miscast and both were betrayed by a mediocre scrpt.
March 27, 2013
Harrison Ford! and Brad Pitt! Sounds great, doesn't it? It's not. Ford started to take on increasingly bad film roles after 'The Fugitive'. What happened?
February 26, 2013
An under rated film about terrorism and what makes someone do the things they do. Harrison Ford is a cop who takes in a young Irish man (Pitt) into his family not knowing that he is a deadly IRA assassin. A film thats poses the question that we often have no choice in the paths we take in life. A great film with solid performances by Ford and Pitt.
February 22, 2013