Diamond Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Diamond Men Reviews

½ January 30, 2015
Warmly human character based indie whose poster here is nothing like the actual film itself--a refreshing movie for grownups.
September 26, 2012
This low-budget buddy film may lack punch or edginess, but owing to the charm of the intergenerational bonding at the warm heart of the story and the mentor-protege dynamic between its two charming leads, Diamond Men turns out to be a mildly pleasant film that means well, and is made all the more worthwhile for its fantastically satisfying ending.
½ July 16, 2012
Terrific little caper that is also a character study. Robert Forster's as good as he's ever been and Donnie Wahlberg is a surprisingly good choice in his role.
March 11, 2012
Robert Forster's subtle "nice guy" performance in "Diamond Men" is one of the main reasons to watch the film, if not the only reason. Donnie Wahlberg is likable in his supporting role and the script offers some fine twists, but there is nothing here that engages or involves viewer. Cohen's direction and script hold up for the most part, but neither is very solid.
March 6, 2012
i love donnie in this movie. I really dont think i would recomend this to anyone.
September 11, 2011
A little uneven in tone and pace, but made largely enjoyable by a well written script and Robert Forster.
January 19, 2011
Kind of reminded me of an r-rated episode of the Rockford Files or something....but not even that interesting.
February 17, 2010
An unsuspecting Surprise!

Diamond Men is rich with endearing moments and witty Humor, that gets even the hard to smile people on the floor laughing. Donnie Wahlberg toke me by surprise in a rare but wonderful Performance as the unexperienced undertaker who was hopelessly flawed but charismatic. For and indie and low budget film- this is what real Cinema is all about- Talent!
½ November 20, 2009
A road movie about diamond salesmen, well-acted and the reviews were consistently B+ or better.
½ August 31, 2009
Pretty funny! Great flick!!
March 11, 2009
I've seen this film many times now and I find it to simply be one of the most overlooked films of the decade. I had it as a top 5 film of 2001. It's a story about Eddie, a long-time traveling diamond salesman who has a heart attack. The superiors at his company feel that he's too much of an insurance risk to go it alone on the road anymore, so they give him a new partner (and eventual replacement to train). This guy is Bobby, and he's brash and young and sees this job as just weekly fun road trips through Pennsylvania. I must say that this movie is just told so simply and with just the right amount of heart. Robert Forster, who is better known in recent years for "Jackie Brown" and lastly a half a season on the hit show "Heroes", is truly magnificent here. He's just so touching and strong, that it's really an exceptional performance. It reminds me of the more recent work by Richard Jenkins in "The Visitor". And Donnie Wahlberg gives my favorite performance from him to date, adding a good dose of humor to the film. And I'll also mention fairly unknown actresses Bess Armstrong and Jasmine Guy in very sweetly-constructed supporting roles. Overall, this movie is part road movie, part comedy, part drama, and a little bit of crime as well. I really hope more people discover this flick because "Diamond Men" is an absolute gem.
½ October 7, 2008
A very small film but a sweet one, an easygoing venture of the feel-good variety. What sets it apart is something even larger pictures often lack: an excellent performance by its star.
½ June 28, 2008
Loved it - a really nice movie with a fantastic ending -
½ June 19, 2008
I was once told by a film professor that movies more more similar than they are different. I believed him at the time, and I still do to a certain extent. One of the fun parts about going to the movies is being surprised and excited for anything that's new or different. I can think of a few movies that I've recommended to people- movies like Talk to Her, The Cooler, Rocket Science, and Undertow- that are worth seeing simply because they seem to play by different rules than everyone else. Movies like this are interesting because they show us something we haven't seen before, be it a superstitious casino owner, two women in a coma, or high school debate.
Diamond Men starts out as a movie like that, and it's very tempting to recommend it on that basis alone. The movie, for example, stars Robert Forster, that excellent and underused actor, as an aging diamond salesman who has a heart attack and has to train his replacement. His replacement is played by Donnie Wahlberg, in an unlikable but very interesting performance as a hip young upstart without a clue. Forster starts out by hating the kid- for God's sakes, he's being replaced!- but soon realises that he should be taking this job seriously, since it could be his last.
The scenes at the beginning of the movie, dealing strictly with the diamond trade, are fascinating simply because we've never seen them before. Forster is perfectly cast in them as a veteran who has seemingly always known his trade. Because the movie starts in such a unique situation, we immediately wonder what will happen next. The movie does contain several surprises, and I don't want to spoil any of them by hinting at what they might be. The performances by the two leads are top notch, and play off of each other very well. The movie is paced about right, too, I think, revealing its surprises carefully.
...but...
There's a mis-step made about 2/3'rds into Diamond Men, where we meet a character who is never really defined. She's Katie, an older woman who catches Forster's eye. She's played by Bess Armstrong, an actress with whom I am not familiar, and on the basis of this film, have no strong desire to be. She's written very bizarrely- she has touches of supernatural beliefs, but they don't pan out into the story or into how Eddie (that's, Forster anyway), sees her. Armstrong's performance doesn't lift the material out of b-movie material, either. She should have been played by Frances McDormand, or any other slightly older actress able to add some weight to the role. She feels like a plot device in a movie that feels bold and original.
Is two-thirds of a good movie worth recommending? I don't know. I can't say. If you're interested in something different, I guess I'd say check Diamond Men out. It's not great, but at least it's not like everything else.
½ June 18, 2008
robert forester drives this movie, other than that its not great, some strange technical choices but an interesting story none the less
½ April 20, 2008
What a surprise. Dropped this in the DVD player with no expectations and was hit with a joy of an experience.

This is not a great film... it is not even a well made film (some editing transitions are questionable choices, B camera stuff is weak and overall exposure is off by a full stop every now and then)... but it as a really well acted and written film.

Robert Forster is a great character actor... and he finds many wonderful way to fit into the skin of the main character in this piece. He makes it look effortless and so natural.
½ April 15, 2008
Roger Ebert says this movie is a treasure, and I couldn't agree more. When a low budget film like this can come off so effortlessly and perfectly, it leaves one wondering what the Hollywood execs are thinking when they churn out the mindless tripe. It's interesting that today it seems so brave and cutting edge to develop a story about a couple of characters where very little action takes place, but guess what: our lives are stories about a couple of characters where very little action takes place.
½ April 6, 2008
A small movie but with real feel-good quality. Great performance from Forster.
February 25, 2008
Not your average cross-generation buddy picture. Better! Forster!