Diana - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Diana Reviews

½ May 27, 2017
I, like many was genuinely shaken by the untimely death of Princess Diana in 1997. This is the sole reason I wanted to watch this movie. Sadly what should have been a promising psychological study of her last few months became a paltry experience which told me little about Diana or the circumstances surrounding her death (The Queen is a more enlightening film in that respect). This had the enlightenment and profundity of a Woman's Day magazine, which, judging by the look of it, should have been it's distribution format.
March 16, 2017
I am really struggling through this movie. The script is corny, shallow and cheap - the acting in my opinion is overrated. Naomi Watts is a great actress and at times she is almost exactly Diana... but the entire rest of the time she is a mix between an awkward caricature and someone impersonating Marilyn Monroe. Don't waste your time - this movie will not tell or show you anything about Diana, nor will you feel like you are even watching her.
½ February 12, 2017
Tositapahtumiin perustuva elokuva prinsessa Dianan viimeisistš elinvuosista...
½ February 10, 2017
I, like many was genuinly shaken by the untimely death of Princess Diana in 1997. This is the reason I wanted to watch this movie. Sadly it was a paltry experience which told me little about Diana or the circumstances surrounding her death (The Queen is a more enlightening film in that respect). This had the enlightenment and profundity of a Woman's Day magazine, which, judging by the look of it, should have been it's distribution format.
½ January 19, 2017
The movie isn't really bad but it portrays the Princess not very gracefully. I guess this is why it receives quite negative feedback.
January 10, 2017
I'm surprised by all the negative reviews on this film. Watts delivered a great performance showing Princess Diana as a woman in love - the naivete, innocence, passion, and ultimately the fall. As a reviewer who had no interest in the real Diana, nor any deeper knowledge of her public and private life except for the fact that she was covered by the paparazzi, I enjoyed this portrayal of a woman who was struggling to "find a way" to make love work in the midst of many different social, racial, and political challenges. Though the film does not necessarily go deep into those areas since it is a narrative, dramatic film, the barriers were high, and Diana's struggle to simply be a woman who wanted to be with a man she loved was portrayed in an emotionally rich manner by Watts (and likely due to the direction of Oliver Hirschbiegel). I've seen Naomi Watts take emotion over the edge, but her portrayal here showed abandon, playfulness and vulnerability at just the right pitch. I think the euphoria of love, as well as the hopeless disappointment involved in romantic relationships are shown in just the right tone - not too melodramatic, but with a good amount of naturalism - like a Balzac or Dreiser novel.

I guess I'm part of the minority who watched this film, not because I had any interest in Princess Diana, but rather because I wanted to see a decent romantic film/dramatic film, starring a great actress whose films I can bet with some certainty will deliver a good performance.
If you're expecting anything more - like an accurate, historical biopic on Diana; or some kind of social-agenda-driven film about Princess Diana's accomplishments, this film may disappoint you.
But if you were not a Princess Diana groupie in real life, but want to see good acting, a good story, and the rise and fall of two characters in love, then I think this film will be thoroughly satisfying. It certainly produced a few tears in me, though, again, I had no interest in Princess Diana.

And it's worth seeing the BBC interview the real Princess Diana did which is available on youtube. Watts did a great exterior representation of Diana; though, honestly, I was more impressed by the internal heartbreak as portrayed by Watts through the film.

Good songs on the soundtrack as well - Bach, among others.
December 30, 2016
It should be better than this
½ December 18, 2016
This was so cringe-worthy and uncomfortable to watch that it doesn't even deserve the half star I gave it!
½ July 15, 2016
Naomi Watts does a good job as Diana, even in the way she walks and looks, but there is not much that she can do to save a soapy script (full of horribly corny lines) that has no real insight into her character and only shows her as immature, caricatural and not very bright.
½ July 9, 2016
It is a story of a princess who wanted to marry someone........a beautiful love
May 28, 2016
Diana is emotionless, scattered, and inconsistent. The story is uninteresting and takes no valuable perspectives. Naomi Watts's performance is either spot and dry or absent and bland, yet her performance (along with others) is overshadowed by the terrible, aimless exchanges of dialogue.
March 6, 2016
Had forgotten this a while back. Naomi Watts, brilliant, as she always is but for the rest, the film is sad and.... sad.
½ February 29, 2016
Not as bad as I thought it would be considering the awful reviews it has received. Yes, it's terribly acted and the script makes you cringe but it is strangely gripping and left me wanting more.
January 21, 2016
I've been eyeballing this movie for a bit because 1) it looked good and 2) I've been wanting to watch a movie about the lovely Princess Diana since I've watched the movie about Elizabeth II. The only reason why I was worried was because I wasn't sure about the actress (I've seen her in other things) and I am a big fan of the Princess - who isn't really?

I loved the connection between the beginning and the ending. I love when movies and books do that. It was an odd way to start the film, but that makes me intrigued by what, why, and etc. So kudos with connecting the ending and the beginning like that.

My biggest issue about the film would have to be the main actress and how they presented the love affair. I did like how they showed that the Princess was human and a woman and had her weak moments - especially around finding/losing love. However, the actress didn't fit the role. She wasn't BAD, but she didn't it. She didn't present the confidence and mystery. She had the hair and the eyes, but that was where the resemblance ended. The real Princess was tall and lanky, but the actress was short and pretty curvy....so that through me off a bit. Even though Nicole Kidman isn't my favorite actress, I think she would have been a better Princess, she has the allure and she shares key features of the real Princess.

I love the man who played Hasnet!! But I am biased, because he played Sayid in LOST, so yeah....I love him in everything he plays in. He did gain some weight in this film, so I was taken aback and I wasn't sure it was him at first. 0_o

I wish I could have said I LOVED this film, but it was just okay; I had no issue turning it off and returning back to it a couple days later. The actress was meh, the cast was also meh (except Naveen Andrews :3 even being a chunkier then I am used to), the layout of the story was meh, BUT I did like how the laid out the ending/beginning.

Overall, this was just OKAY. Nothing special about it. Do I recommend it? Sure, but don't have high expectations. I shall stamp this with 3 stars.

Re-watch?: No.
December 28, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....
½ December 26, 2015
Too often too many film critics live in their smeared celluloid world dishing out distorted opinions based on their malfunctioning lives and preconceived predjudices. Don't believe me? Then read the reviews of 'Diana', a viscious evisceration of what actually is a very fine film. Its not a masterpiece but what it does brilliantly is open up Princess Diana, so we the public can see her as a real person (damaged or not, accurate or not) instead of the image fed to us by the media of an icon on the verge of a breakdown. Naomi Watts does a spookily good job of recreating a a rather sad and lonely woman who maybe had good reason to resent her treatment at the hands of the royal family. Mercifully ignoring crowns, cloaks and lookalikes, this rather an intimate portrait of a life in crisis. Diana had many critics in her life, people who'd digested hook line and sinker, her media image and never thought of her a real person and in many ways a rather nice person, well this film succeeds in putting the record somewhat straighter and acts as a smack in the face to those who would have us think otherwise. Interesting, revealing and ultimately a mission successfully accomplished. You have to have lived through the 'Diana' days to fully appreciate the film. It seems that too many critics were too busy sneering at some other celluloid disaster to pay any real attention to her at the time.
½ December 20, 2015
I was a big Princess Diana fan. This movie lacked in so many areas that I just felt empty afterwards. Yes, some of the issues portrayed were historically accurate but I didn't feel the movie did her any justice. I wish they had found an actress that even remotely matched Diana's beauty.
November 3, 2015
A bigger car crash than the one she died in.
½ September 27, 2015
I must be feeling REALLY ill to have watched this pile of kak. I promised myself I would never watch it. I still can't forgive Naomi Watts for making it.
July 6, 2015
Well acted and a sad, sad story