Mon seung (Diary) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mon seung (Diary) Reviews

½ January 15, 2014
"The movie is very effective as a pure genre exercise, with its highly managed look (cold, greenish-yellow colors) and visual effects for Winnie's mental crack-up interspersed with some good, straightforward shocks." Creepy performance from Choi. Captivating direction.
½ June 25, 2013
slow with laughable characters.
July 28, 2012
I don't even like horror movies, but this was good.
½ June 2, 2012
This movie had a plot that we see a lot of. It's a pyschological thriller, and it has a lot to do with with halusinations. It's not very scary, and the twists become predictable as the film goes on.

I liked the cinematography. The lighting of the apartment was done very well, and it went well with the mood. It balnced the eerie atmosphere. The camera angles worked well also. The music kinda ruined it though.

The acting from Charlene Choi was terrible, she's such a bad actor. Isabella Leong was a good supporting actress, and Shawn Yue was also good. Their characters did really matter, I found them a bit uninteresting. You don't care for them at all.

This is a decent to bad thriller. The twists are predictable, but they pack it up with these things that it starts to get confusing.
March 21, 2012
Mentally disturbed Winnie Leung (Charlene Choi) spends her days cooking, carving wooden dolls, and writing in her diary. But all her favorite hobbies can't help Winnie get over her breakup with her boyfriend Seth (Shawn Yue), until one day she see's a man who bears a striking resemblance to her ex. Starting up a conversation with him, the two start dating, but things spin out of control for Winnie when the truth comes out about what happened to her ex boyfriend Seth...and nothing is what it seems.
Being a big fan of Oxide Pang I had to check this one out, and though the storyline is pretty much a less potent version of MAY, I wasn't disappointed.
I will admit, some of the plot twists are fairly predictable for the more perspicacious minds but entertaining non the less. Oxide Pang brings his character Winnie Leung's psychosis to life through visually haunting images and a time fractured storyline that only gives you fragments of the events as they are, or as they appear to be according to Winnie's mind. Solid plot with plenty of twists, and equally solid acting. If you are a fan of Asian horror (and more specifically the Pang Brothers) then you should check this one out
October 6, 2011
June 19, 2011
Very interesting movie and the performance of Choi is remarkable.
April 3, 2011
If this isn't a movie I have to read I'll watch it.
October 14, 2010
Molto buono! Ci mette un po' ad ingranare, per il fatto che inizialmente non sembra proporre nulla di originale, ma nella seconda metà parte davvero per la tangente. Anche troppo in un certo senso, perchè la storia in realtà è molto più semplice e lineare di quello che i vari twist fanno vedere, a volte anche confondendo. Ma a mio avviso "Diary" non è un film da razionalizzare, è un film da cui bisogna farsi trascinare, godendo anche delle meravigliose trovate del regista. Se devo citarne un paio, senza dubbio alcuno la bambola gigante che cammina alle spalle della protagonista ed i titoli di testa che si ripropongono ben oltre la metà del film.
½ August 28, 2010
Although I find it nothing really new, the twist & turn at the end work for me (I was guessing something else). One of the handful movies which does quite a good job in thrilling from Hong Kong Cinema for quite a long time. Good to see Charlene Choi dares to try something other than her sweetie princess typecast.
½ August 18, 2010
Slow moving.However, the ending is a surprise.Gr8 acting,good script,just bad directing I think.Stay tuned while the credits role cuz the movie is not over yet.
March 23, 2010
There is something incredibly haunting and well crafted about Asian thrillers that is truly an unforgettable experiance. The visuals are always creative and enhancing without domaining the film, the action and story is always captivating and unique despite the horror that maybe shown, you find yourself unable to look away. However, this did not have any of those qualities. This was an over the top confusing mess, that took so many twists and turns it completely loses you. By the time everything is explained your too drained to care. The story wasn't well crafted and 20 minutes into it you know the physchology of the lead character and the ending isn't going to be pretty. It revels far too much at the beginning and tried desperately to throw you off by its enlongated explainations at the end. The plot as twisted as it was is far from original, you know exactly what the end result is. The characters were all a bit boring and didn't serve a purpose, the lead actress was a over the top, the visuals weren't really needed and about 40% of the movie could have been cut. Overall this was rather dissapointing and not very well executed.
½ December 29, 2009
Weirdly claustrophobic little film dealing with madness and the nature of what is real. Ninty minutes of thoughtful camera angles and engaging narrative. Odd, quiet but good.
½ November 28, 2009
Diary is a clausterphobic and creepy psychological thiller. The performances are excellent, and the twisting story is rather interesting.
SpunkyJamez
½ November 17, 2009

August 15, 2009
This ended up having more of a twist than I expected. And man, those dolls are creepy, too!
July 8, 2009
Charlene Choi does a decent job portraying a girl with schizophrenia, however, the pacing of the movie is just too slow to be enjoyable.
June 5, 2009
Another Isabella movie...haha!
March 13, 2009
i liked the visuals and the acting was good but it was a bit confusing and twisty