Diary of a Cannibal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Diary of a Cannibal Reviews

½ December 21, 2014
Brings new meaning to the man being the "head" of the table. Real low budget. No acting or dialog required
July 15, 2013
It's like one long horrible music video that never ends and contains no music. The director of this movie needs a lot of practice or a new career.
½ June 18, 2013
A horribly put film, no character build up, and a horrible, hard to follow story. This film is one of the worst I have personally seen.
½ February 2, 2013
I would start out this review with a single word such as "awful" or "horrid", but this movie is so bad it's indescribable. The plot is thoughtless, the characters are impossible to connect with or care about, the editing is total crap, and the film goes back and forth between color, black and white and that "old film" effect you get in Windows Movie Maker. It's hard to comprehend any of it, considering the fact that it goes from flashback, to story, to present, with no way to follow the already in shambles plot, not to mention the acting is dreadful and uninspired. No matter what it tries to do, it fails at it. Romance? Horror? Documentary? it doesn't work as anything. Not even as an ironic joke, whereas bad films such as 'Batman and Robin' are still bad enough to be funny. This is so bad it can't even do that. Bottom line, don't watch it. Ulli Lommel's Cannibal is the worst movie I've ever seen.
½ November 5, 2012
Lommel's horror tends to run outside genre 'norms' and that tends to make it both surprising and more inaccessible.

You can see that clearly in the execution of Cannibal, unfortunately in this case the result is just a bad, bad movie.
½ December 19, 2011
Monday, December 19, 2011

(2006) Diary Of A Cannibal
HORROR

Straight to rental, shown on via cam corder style showcasing events about how a normal teenage girl end up eating her boyfriend, full of poinless passages from the Bible etc... linking to cannibalsim. Supposed to be based on an actual incident somewhere in Virginia, Tennesse similar to "The Brown Bunny" which consist of pointless scenes of affection with one another and it wasn't until more than an hour later that viewers finally realize that it was the boyfriends request for her to do this. What do we know from this understandbly is absolutely nothing!

1/2 out of 4
April 11, 2011
horrible, acting, i don't think it mean you are a cannibal when you are forced to eat your boyfriend's heart and it all look fake!
March 26, 2011
thiis moviie was so boriin.......wat thhe hell do ppl make these days????
March 19, 2011
"Diary of a Cannibal" goes leagues below the cinematic dead zone. It doesn't even manage to justify why it exists in all of its 81 minutes, let alone accomplish the task of telling a story in any useful sense.

It's rooted in the true story of an individual who posted online, looking for someone to meet, murder and cannibalize. I won't complain about the lurid hook of the premise--any premise can be handled well or handled poorly. The Meadow Mountain Massacre is a very interesting historical event, and they made a lousy movie out of it [getting to that next]. The founding of Facebook at first seems like dry subject matter, and yet David Fincher used it for an excellent movie recently. But this story based loosely on the Armin Meiwes case might very well have made an interesting movie (we did, after all, get a great Rammstein song out of it), even if it was on a shoestring-budget. But this isn't just technical ineptitude, this is artistic ineptitude.

"Diary of a Cannibal" doesn't serve any visible purpose, as art or entertainment, besides as an endurance test, almost a dare between filmmaker and the audience to see how long we can take it. That being said, there's no reason to see this, because nothing can be gained from presenting the story in a manner that alienates and punishes the audience. Are you seriously telling me there wasn't a better way to approach this story?

There's an incompetence here with a certain malice, a certain cynicism behind it. Awkwardly worded as that may sound, I can't think of anything better to describe "Diary of a Cannibal"--it's not just incompetent, it's incompetent in a way that suggests a contempt for the audience. I tell you what, if you're looking for some 'weird' horror films, this may actually sound interesting at first, but there are also ones out there that are actually done with some care and craft, not to mention competence--this isn't. One minute of your time "Diary of a Cannibal" kills is too many.
½ March 5, 2011
worse movie that I personally have seen in years.......im with the other guy"who funded this crap"
½ December 29, 2010
About 1min into this movie and i can already tell it suck horse shit...Its like they spent all the money on the box cover and had a couple hundred left to make a movie.I would never recommend this movie to anyone.
½ October 11, 2010
If this movie is a joke, I did not find it funny.
½ September 24, 2010
I liked it though it was slow to get to the point I wish theyd just tell you what happened and not in a have you on the edge of your seat way in a Im bored get to the point way good movie needed better oganization though
½ June 10, 2010
Based on a real life event, this story will take you where I bet YOU have never gone before. The love story here is bizarre, and more than a tad disturbing! Yet all in all, I get the message the author tried to send, I believe. I am still numb! To think this could happen!
February 21, 2010
one of the worst things i've ever watched. no way i can call it a movie. an insult to human intelligence. were you drunk or high when you heard the story??
½ December 19, 2009
I could not even finish it, can I please get the last 45 minutes of my life back?
December 18, 2009
i have cannibal she dying to eat you...... i would like to see the 2nd one
½ October 31, 2009
yes ZERO stars. i would rather stare at my wall then watch this crap again
October 27, 2009
Wow!!! The concept would of worked in other hands. The movie revealed itself in the beginning with the out-of-control flashbacks. Where is the Artistry?!! I demand to know who funded this!!!