Diary of a Mad Black Woman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Diary of a Mad Black Woman Reviews

½ October 25, 2016
This is the definition of a filmmaker trying desperately to have his cake and eat it too. Though Darren Grant competently directs this confusing piece of work; make no mistake, this movie belongs to Tyler Perry, and I'm confused as to what he was trying to do here.

DIARY OF A MAD BLACK WOMAN so clearly wants to be a melodrama about the struggles of the modern black woman (with the incredibly talented Kimberly Elise at the center of it all), but it also desperately claws at slapstick comedy that works on its own, but crowds an otherwise strong narrative. This thing is the Frankenstein's monster of drama-comedies. It's roughly assembled parts of other movies that successfully comes to life, only to meander confused and frightened.
October 24, 2016
Very funny and a surprisingly intriguing story and true interest in what the characters outcomes will be.
September 23, 2016
Outside of Madea, who often seems out of place, this is a soap opera story with soap opera quality
June 22, 2016
This is honestly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The acting is atrocious -- the entire film seems like a parody. And Tyler Perry as Madea is grating, ridiculous and all-around awful.
½ January 23, 2016
For a melodrama, "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" is actually quite pleasant, and not as predictable as you would think.
December 13, 2015
Most of the so-called critics' reviews are based on a surface level. "Stilted" dialogue is actually closer to real than a flowing perfectly fit give and take dialogue. The character development with their idiosyncrasies is genuine. Try taking the self-important mask and watch it again, only this time, get off your pedestal!
½ August 17, 2015
A very surprising and funny movie! I enjoyed this a lot!
August 16, 2015
Funny, but overly melodramatic
½ August 10, 2015
When Medea is on screen it's funny but otherwise you gotta pass.
½ April 26, 2015
Tyler Perry's A Diary of a Mad Black Woman is a bad movie that is nothing new for Tyler Perry's debut. The acting is fine, and Tyler Perry is not that bad. The characters are forgettable, except for Madea who gives off some funny moments although there were also a few jokes that fell flat. The plot is just eh, but there were some moments that are unintentionally scary, and I didn't necessarily care about what's going on. When the plot kept going, I was starting to lose a bit of respect for the characters, and it was starting to get predictable. It seem like it was more focusing on the melodrama than the comedy which felt unbalance for me and want more of the comedy, even if there's more jokes that are misfires. What kept it from being more horrible was that the movie is a bit harmless. A Diary of a Mad Women is just a forgettable movie that I didn't really know why people liked it.
January 13, 2015
Seems stupid and racist.
January 12, 2015
never...NEVER I SAY!
January 12, 2015
never...NEVER I SAY!
January 7, 2015
Diary of a Mad Black Woman is an excellent film. It is about a woman who has to learn how to love and trust men all over again. Kimberly Elise and Steve Harris give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written and funny. Darren Grant did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this movie because of the humor and romance. Diary of a Mad Black Woman is a must see.
December 18, 2014
Between what I'd expected or least expect, it's still good with the funny parts that only takes place in the last half hour and any scenes with Madea. (C+)

(Full review coming soon)
June 27, 2014
Can't believe I missed this one. Oh that Madea. She does make me laugh. Great acting throughout. Good storyline as well.
April 10, 2014
diary of a mad black woman
March 28, 2014
Best movie! Great message! Madea is a great character that makes us all think about who we are and how to behave towards others!
½ January 24, 2014
There are two movies coming together as one in this lopsided Tyler Perry venture. Odds are you will like one or the other, but probably not both. This is predominantly an overdramatized obtuse love story. A cheating husband betrays his wife, leaving her with nowhere to go but her grandmother's house. Then a new handsome suitor magically falls in her lap. This simple story would work it the characters or dialogue was worth anything, but it is poorly written, flat, and overdramatic. The needless melodrama is too serious, and it wears on you quickly. From out of nowhere are little tangents and spots of comic relief from Madea. She is a goofy and exaggerated grandma caricature played by Tyler Perry in drag. Madea brings nuggets of wisdom and simple laughs with her over-the-top reactions, but it is hardly inspired. These lost interrupts of humor are out of place and get lost amid a sea of junky soap-opera-type romance goop. The movie is incredibly uneven. Madea belongs in a playful Earnest type movie not in the middle of this drivel.
January 21, 2014
Made tolerable, by Madea and her brother.