Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star Reviews

May 23, 2016
While Dickie Roberts isn't too bad, I have to give it such a low score because of just how lazy this movie feels. You don't get the sense that anyone cared about the movie. Spade just pumped out a script, gave it to some burnt out producer, then they filmed it in under a week with a cast and director just seeking out a quick check in the hopes of not working on another film of this caliber.What I look for in movies is passion, an actual connection with their stories. That's what makes great filmmakers, people eager to get their stories told. I may not know Spade personally, but I can say with honesty that he could care less whether or not people watched this, so long as he got paid. If you think differently Mr. Spade I must say, I think I'm right on this.
February 6, 2016
it's a David spade movie people, what did you expect?
½ July 26, 2015
spade has a way to really mix things up
½ May 11, 2015
Dickie Roberts Former Child Star had some moments to it but cant wrap you around its mediocre story and acting. There are a few jokes here and there but this shouldnt impress you.
½ February 8, 2015
David Spade ok movie.
½ December 13, 2014
Why do people still hire David Spade??????
August 26, 2014
Silly, stupid, and yet oh so adorably cute. The final song was absolutely hilarious.
August 15, 2014
(First viewing - Late teen years)
July 16, 2014
I saw this with a group of friends, it was fun and had memorable lines but it was still kind of dumb. But I don't care.
½ May 17, 2014
This is based on memory. When I watched it back then, I kinda liked the movie
½ May 4, 2014
I don't care if most people hate this movie. I love David Spade and this movie is funny. i can watch it again and again. better than some blockbusters and oscar winners
½ May 2, 2014
Funny, but nothing really special.
½ April 19, 2014
The premise is ridiculous, but this ode to former child actors is really a fun film with some pretty entertaining references. The problems lie in the fact that half way through you forget that it's even about former child stars and the issues that come with it because it starts focusing too much on the relationship between Dickie and his new family. It relies too heavily on its saccharine resolutions and doesn't have enough deserved tension beforehand to make it as worthwhile as it should be. Basically, it's too heartwarming too often--don't get me wrong, it might bring smiles to your face, but in hindsight you wish that there was more at steak.

It's also has a lot of plot holes--such as how did the mom know that Dickie used to play Candy Land with his dad? And if the Finney family doesn't have much money then how can they afford to fix the house when the water bed floods and destroys it? It also doesn't clarify Dickie's money situation and doesn't show him hitting the rock bottom that it could have. Not to mention much of the character depth is paper thin or uneven. Much of the film is completely unbelievable and caddywhompus. And David Spade plays the same pervy character that he always plays so much so that you forget that he's not playing himself.

Films like this are enjoyable still because of their novelty. It's an idea that isn't really tapped into, and it does showcase David Spade's talent decently well.

Twizard Rating: 74
½ March 20, 2014
There is a good story with a lot of heart here, however you have to dig to find it. I think I'm just missing what's bad about it. Someone may point me to that soon
January 2, 2014
Once again David Spade starts in a family comedy funny enough to keep you entertained and make you laugh throughout the film
½ September 25, 2013
A dark and unfunny Hollywood satire.
July 21, 2013
Has a lot of heart but not a lot of laughs. Smiles, not laughs. This could of worked as a sitcom for spade, more so than a ninety minute film. I read that originally this was going to be more dark and now I'm curious to see that version.
July 14, 2013
A hidden gem. Dickie Roberts is schmaltzy and has several flaws, but if you're a Spade fan like I am this is some of his best work.
July 8, 2013
Dickie Robert's is a pretty enjoyable film at least it tries to be more fun than spades precious films like Joe dirt & lost & found that don't even try & Its more laughable.
June 26, 2013
Aside from some choice cameo's from real child stars- this film has nothing going for it