Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star Reviews

½ January 11, 2010
I thought Dickie Roberts was enjoyable! david Spade brings some pretty good talent to the table here!
August 6, 2009
its just the same man-nanny becomes friends with the kids movie but it has David Spade and hes funny
½ July 7, 2007
I turned it off 3/4 of the way through. David Spade was better back in the early 90's.
July 31, 2006
Definately unfunny. Why does it look like David Spade is wearing mascara??? This movie's plot is terrible, and, through the course of the movie, the use every cliche in the book. David Spade should stick to talking llamas.
iLeo
December 12, 2007
Crazy funny!
½ November 13, 2011
Dickie Roberts Former Child Star had some moments to it but cant wrap you around its mediocre story and acting. There are a few jokes here and there but this shouldnt impress you.
September 9, 2011
I saw this with a group of friends, it was fun and had memorable lines but it was still kind of dumb. But I don't care.
½ April 19, 2014
The premise is ridiculous, but this ode to former child actors is really a fun film with some pretty entertaining references. The problems lie in the fact that half way through you forget that it's even about former child stars and the issues that come with it because it starts focusing too much on the relationship between Dickie and his new family. It relies too heavily on its saccharine resolutions and doesn't have enough deserved tension beforehand to make it as worthwhile as it should be. Basically, it's too heartwarming too often--don't get me wrong, it might bring smiles to your face, but in hindsight you wish that there was more at steak.

It's also has a lot of plot holes--such as how did the mom know that Dickie used to play Candy Land with his dad? And if the Finney family doesn't have much money then how can they afford to fix the house when the water bed floods and destroys it? It also doesn't clarify Dickie's money situation and doesn't show him hitting the rock bottom that it could have. Not to mention much of the character depth is paper thin or uneven. Much of the film is completely unbelievable and caddywhompus. And David Spade plays the same pervy character that he always plays so much so that you forget that he's not playing himself.

Films like this are enjoyable still because of their novelty. It's an idea that isn't really tapped into, and it does showcase David Spade's talent decently well.

Twizard Rating: 74
½ May 20, 2013
There is a good story with a lot of heart here, however you have to dig to find it. I think I'm just missing what's bad about it. Someone may point me to that soon
October 6, 2011
A hidden gem. Dickie Roberts is schmaltzy and has several flaws, but if you're a Spade fan like I am this is some of his best work.
January 31, 2013
David Spade is in a movie where he displays his comedic talent with the great idea of a child star relive the childhood he never had. However, there is a bit too much sentiment.
February 11, 2013
I don't know why so many people didn't like this movie, I thought it was hilarious. The fact this got such poor reviews is nucken futts.
½ January 22, 2013
Not as bad as the rest of David Spade's movies have been, this one is actually funny and charming and carries a solid message. "NUCKIN' FUTS!"
½ April 8, 2012
Great movie. Very funny, very predictable, led by great performance from Spade and filled with amazing cameos.
November 20, 2007
It is not the funniest movie world, but it is not as bad as a lot of the reviews say it is. David Spade has moments where his sarcastic and crass attitude work nicely and do get a laugh, but the characters of the family around him do not work very well at all and it feels scripted and processed. It does not blow you away as a super funny movie and it is a bit of a disappointment for a Davis Spade movie, but this one is lighthearted and has some smiles and a few mild laughs.
½ September 1, 2007
Falling in neither great nor horrible it's kind of just there. I don't know if I could call it decent per se either. It's got some points particularly as parody with some satirical jabs at Hollywood, but not sure if these really were able to carry it.
April 21, 2011
This movie has a decent and funny like premise, but for the most part is poorly executed and simply lacking laughs. The movie doesn't even really have it moments, but it doesn't really drag either, but is just simply sub par.
November 25, 2009
There are few sadder experiences than watching David Spade try to be funny on his own. If there was ever a reason to mourn Chris Farley, its films like this.
June 27, 2010
One of my true guilty pleasures. David Spade, as usual, is crude and hilarious. But this film is also surprisingly touching. Great idea and execution to bring the seventies back make this film worth your view.

Great music video of Former Childs during the credits.
August 25, 2010
Yes, a film inwhich david Spade wasn't overshadowed by the big Chris Farely(not that that was ever a bad thing, Tommy Boy is great, even still today)

While Dickie Roberts has it's really funny moments, some moments are best unsaid, or forgotten.

The Music Video on the dvd, and at the end of the film is hilarious though. I liked that more than most of the film actually.

"Dickie roberts is well intentioned, and harmless fun, but even as hilarious as the story seems, it still felt like it could've, should've been funnier."