Die Tür (The Door) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Die Tür (The Door) Reviews

½ March 4, 2016
A dramatic sci-fi flick where we follow Mads Mikkelsen as David. His little daughter dies in a horrible accident and he want's to take everyting back to that exact day and make it different. Well, it turns out that he can. A pretty simple timetravel film, but it gets more complicated by the minute.

OK plot, OK excecution. I saw a version where I believe Mads was dubbed, it did not sound like his voice at least. It was very fluent German, though. It's not a big film in any matter, but never a poor one either. It's not really exciting and I don't feel gripped. Mikkelsen deserve better.

4.5 out of 10 pools.
August 15, 2015
The story has a lot of potentials that unfortunately have not been used.
June 22, 2014
Great film. I wasn't fond of English voice-overs in lieu of the actors' own voices in another language with English subtitles....but still a really good film.
April 3, 2014
Reminded me of Butterfly Effect and Looper. The idea of time traveling is not new and I first thought this was like those kinds of movies and didn't expect much from it. But if you add much disturbing and serious elements (losing a child because of your mistake and the idea that everyone can travel in time, like David does in the movie) can be horrifying. The ending leaves you thinking (it's definitely not a happy ending), and it's amazing to see how Mikkelsen can act using his eye gaze and body to bring David character into life.
½ February 8, 2014
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
December 5, 2013
Die Tür sounds better than it actually is. Nevertheless, it raises an interesting philosophical question regarding our conceptions of self. There are a number of coincidences and discrepancies about the time travel in the film, but one may ignore these should one look from a strictly academic and theoretical perspective. Despite relatively good acting, however, I cannot say that the dystopian horror-thriller style is too my taste.
August 10, 2013
Mads is a feat in any language. This was an awesome little time travel sci-fi feature with a heap of sadness and a few what if's. Definitely stylized and different and definitely another good one for sure.
½ June 27, 2013
Though a bit rushed in the final act...this is more so a tale of guilt in the guise of a slightly fantastical thriller. A father tries to assimilate into a second chance at life with his daughter, who died accidentally five years earlier, once he discovers a door that leads him to the day of the tragic event,allowing him to save his daughter. The thriller aspect comes when he runs into his previous self, gets caught up in murder and must struggle with harboring the secret about himself. At times touching and at others quite nail biting, it contains some wonderful character moments and Mads Mikkelsen is amazing with all the subtlety and passion in his eyes...he emotes the perfect mix of desperation and love. Though the element of the whole town being involved is somewhat hamhanded, the film manages to tap into the desperation of the human heart. Paired with a tender hand at the camera, beautiful score and subtle performance by Mads, I enjoyed this wondrous, suspenseful story. A mix of Somewhere in Time, Timecrimes and Outer Limits.
½ June 15, 2013
A unique concept that starts to wear thin half way through. A parents worse nightmare and the door that can change everything!

16/6/2013
½ September 24, 2012
Que fabulosa película alemana en la cual, un hombre que lo pierde todo consigue un túnel secreto que lo lleva a un mundo paralelo idéntico pero 5 años menor, la verdad es que la trama es sorprendente y el final lo es mas aun...totalmente recomendable
September 18, 2012
interesting original idea. it started out really great, then i guess i thought it was too easy of a solution to have a back-and-forth tunnel be the gist. it feels like there should be more happening
September 8, 2012
Un drama con toques de suspenso y ciencia ficcion, bien dirigido, actuado y magistralmente escrito con multiples giros y sorpresas a lo largo de su desarrollo y un conmovedor perfecto desenlace.
½ September 2, 2012
Really cool idea and nicely directed.
July 16, 2012
"The Door" is an interesting take on time travel as a means of correcting the mistakes of one's past, something I myself occasionally dream of even though I believe time travel to the past to be metaphysically impossible.

It feels like a feature-length episode of the Twilight Zone and is reminiscent of such classics as "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

Its most important aspect in my mind is its exposure of the inherently homicidal bent of those who would rewrite the past (think of "Back to the Future" again and ask yourself: who is the Marty McFly who enters the DeLorean in the final sequence? He's not anybody you know, because the Marty McFly you've seen never existed: he's been deleted by the time travel; though how someone who never existed managed to change the past is anybody's guess.)

The film involves some unromanticised adultery and some amount of violence, all of it called for. Annoyingly though, the main character smokes.

"The Door" won the Grand Prize at the Gerardmer Film Festival in 2010 (previous winners include "Let the Right One In", "The Orphanage", "The Bothersome Man", "Isolation" and "A Tale of Two Sisters.")
March 19, 2012
Good, but ultimately disappointing. Central premise was great, and plot was kept tight for the majority of the movie. I was riveted to the screen for the first 2/3rds or so.

However, it all unravels towards the end. By trying to be too clever with the plot, holes start to appear. The movie becomes so complex it becomes hard to follow, and feels contrived. The ending is very unsatisfying.

Good performance by Mads Mikkelsen. Good support from Jessica Schwarz.
½ January 30, 2012
A magical door lets a grieving father who was at fault in his kids death, go back 5 years to the house he lived and scene of the death, but whilst saving the kid, he also kills his past self and proceeds to live the life of his former self, but there could be darker forces at work come the final credit. this is entertaining and certainly a cool concept, there are flaws and sometimes doesnt totally come together, but also handled well at times so a entertaining watch and worthy of a watch.
January 18, 2012
Starts out as a calm tragedy and turns into a crazy strange psycho mystery thriller, underlaid by a atmospheric soundtrack.
October 2, 2011
I could have found it stylish and atmospheric but i just found it sterile. the superficial emotions are slave to a fantasy plotline rather than the other way round and no real human themes are explored in an affecting way.
September 4, 2011
Solid performances and some nice twists.
July 19, 2011
Após a morte da filha, um artista bem sucedido perde o controle de sua vida. Cinco anos depois, ele descobre uma porta misteriosa que pode levá-lo a um novo recomeço.