Die Verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum oder: Wie Gewalt entstehen und wohin sie führen kann (The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Die Verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum oder: Wie Gewalt entstehen und wohin sie führen kann (The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum) Reviews

August 15, 2016
A film about a woman who is berated by the press and the police for inadvertently harboring a terrorist is powerful and thought provoking. Underneath the surface you can see parallels between her experiences and the modern experiences in a post-9/11 world, and a feminist message of how women are treated when they do not play by men's rules.
September 17, 2014
Interesting film focused on the abuses of the press. While this is the primary idea of the film there are several aspects to the story that are equaling compelling. This film is dated and requires a basic understanding of terrorism in the 1970's, it is also vitally connected to the 21st Century. Angela Winkler gives an impressively nuanced performance. Her character feels real. There is no hint of mannerism or scenery-chewing which I suspect many actors would have been inclined to add.
½ October 9, 2013
Dark glimpse into the infamy of being tried in the media. Well crafted film.
August 30, 2013
There are very few German movies I like. This is no exception. The only thing worthwhile is the justifiably negative portrayal of government/law enforcement/media.
October 22, 2012
Äärimmäisen kuumottava ja ahdistava elokuva pienestä ihmisestä yhteiskunnan kasvottomien (väkivalta)koneistojen armoilla. Yhtä ajankohtainen vuonna 2012 kuin vuonna 1975 ilmestyessään - ellei enemmänkin.

Eipä ole elokuva vanhentunut päivääkään.
September 3, 2012
Schlondorff and Trotta direct an absolute killer of a movie. I would compare this to 2012-indie hit "Compliance" in its examination of what a rigid, rule-based society can still do to the tearing down of the individual, without much exterior violence. Maybe till the early 2000s, this film would have seemed dated, even though anyone can see it is hugely effective and well-acted, especially by Angela Winkler as Katharina. But, since 2002 or so, this dated-ness doesn't hold. Just replace Springer-Verlag with News Corporation and the fear of radical leftists with the fear of Islamic terrorists, and this is just as potent today as it was in 1970s West Germany. Unmissable.
½ October 22, 2011
Katharina conoce a un hombre misterioso en una fiesta y lo lleva inmediatamente a su casa. Ellos hacen una conexion pero el hombre se marcha. Al dia siguiente el gobierno aleman aparece en su puerta y ella es interrogada, al parecer el hombre es un peligroso terrorista pero Katharina niega haberlo conocido antes de esa fiesta.
"The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum" es un ataque directo contra el gobierno y los medios de comunicacion en Alemania en 1975. Se podria decir que es un producto de su tiempo y el dificil clima politico y social sin embargo tambien podemos encontrar paralelos con la actualidad y los casos donde los periodicos acosan a los protagonistas de sus encabezados e inventan historias para vender mas copias. He aqui una cinta efectiva y provocativa.
½ October 18, 2011
Katharina Blum attends a costume party where she meets Ludwig and nice and tender man, who she ends up spending the night with. Katharina is not the type of lady to do such a thing, her friends call her "the nun" for instance, but she really feels a connection with Ludwig and begins to fall in love with him. The next morning Katharina awakes to police knocking down her door looking for Ludwig. It turns out that Ludwig is a terrorist and now Katherine is suspected of aiding and sheltering him. Katharina's life is flipped upside down, as she is blasted in the media tot he point where the media is just making things up. The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum is a social statement about the media and the standards in which they so often break to make a story. Katharina's life is in shambles because of these multiple exaggerations and blatant lies from the media that push her to the brink of madness. The film shows just how power hungry the media can be and how unforgiving they can be to anyone who can possibly help their career. Angela Winkler does a good job as the title character and its got a good cast all around. My biggest complaint would be that I have seen it done better, and was looking for the film to escalate more than it did around the midpoint. Still, this is a very important film and I am sure it was quite groundbreaking for the time.
October 13, 2011
R.i.p. Heinz Bennent.
July 27, 2011
A taut thriller that is just as relevant today as when it was produced, more than thirty five years ago. A young woman spends a night with a suspected terrorist and becomes the object of a police investigation and an intense slur campaign waged by a smarmy, unscrupulous news hound and his photographer. The very beautiful Angela Winkler plays the title character and exudes a very convincing aura of naivete and bewilderment during the interrogations. We are never sure just how much she really knows, or whether she is, as she maintains, an innocent caught up in the intrigue of others. But the thrust of the movie is the way that she is portrayed in the media of the day. One could not watch without recognizing how difficult it is to recover ones good name when all of your dirty laundry (and some that was made up out of whole cloth) has been aired. Just ask Casey Anthony. The ending, while shocking, seems almost justifiable given the events as they unfolded. Jurgen Prochnow plays the terrorist, Ludwig, quietly and darkly menacing. Mario Adorf plays the lead investigator who seems a little too cozy with the reporter, played by Dieter Laser.
½ July 25, 2011
Brilliant! Who could have foreseen how relevant reactionary right-wing conservativism and a terrorizing media would be to contemporary American politics?
½ July 2, 2011
Interesting film that is still relevant today on how the government and media controls our lives.
½ March 31, 2011
An interesting film that mixes police bullying with less-than-honorable journalistic methods to create a nightmare for Katharina Blum. She meets Ludwig and spends the night with him, falling for him in the process. As such, knowing he is on the run from the police, she helps him to escape. With that, the police on on her like glue and the press begins its sensationalist blitz--a smear campaign that drives Blum to the edge. The story unfolds in a glorious manner in which the viewer is left questioning a lot of things until the end, all while continuing to enlighten and advance the story. While a bit confusing at first, the way things pull together in the end make this a remarkable film.
March 17, 2011
If Volker Schlöndorff would have quit before the end, this would have been one of those perfect movies. It still resonates with a relevance undiminished by the last thirty-five years, and despite the flawed ending, I hope everyone watches it and thinks.
February 10, 2011
great look at yellow journalism and partisan shady politics
½ January 14, 2011
When Tabloids Attack

It happens occasionally; I must disagree with Roger. With several people, by the look of it. The fact is, I think the end of the movie has a certain mad inevitability. Yes, it's wish fulfillment of the darkest kind. How many of us dream of just getting even? And after all, it's almost certainly impossible for the legal recourse to work. We're told so several times. Freedom of the press, they say, extends to blatantly illegal actions and vicious libels. Or anyway probably does. It would be a costly legal battle which would bring all sorts of things back out of the closet--when they were only dragged out in the first place by the actions of the paper. Someone driven to the edge and possessed of that knowledge might well conclude that only one action will work, and at least it prevents getting pointed at in the streets for a while. So there's that.

One night, Katharina Blum (Angela Winkler) is at a party. She meets a handsome young man called Ludwig Götten (Jürgen Prochnow, whom I did not recognize). She falls deeply for him, and they spend the night at her place together. And the next morning, the police break down her doors and storm her apartment. It seems he is an anarchist and possibly a bank robber; what they tell her seems a little contradictory. Anyway, they take her in and investigate her in one of those lengthy sequences which makes me realize how little I know about German jurisprudence. Katharina doesn't have a lawyer, even though she works for one (Hubert Bloma, played by Heinz Bennent). What she does have is the mad and obsessive attentions of Werner Tötges (Dieter Laser), reporter for what is just called [i]The Paper[/i]. He slanders her. He sneaks into the ICU to interview her mother (I can't work out who), who is recovering from surgery. And then she doesn't. And that's just one thing which goes wrong for her because of it all.

I didn't watch the special features, but I am given to understand that it includes various of the people involved in the film declaring how relevant it still is. And heaven knows they're right. Less than twenty-five years later, it is arguably a fact that the mother of an heir to the British throne was killed by publicity. Not long at all after that, an agent for a presidential administration violated federal law by leaking certain information to the press and then had his prison sentence commuted almost as soon as the ink of the conviction was dry. (Let's not forget that officers in this story are leaking information to the unscrupulous reporter.) A free press is one of the safeguards of liberty, but there must also be safeguards for the people who appear in it. They say that they can't necessarily prosecute Tötges in the death of Maria Blum, because they can't prove his actions led to her death. It just feels as though there ought to be some recourse. It should certainly be true that any decent news outlet should be ashamed to hire someone who would use such awful tactics.

The political situation in Germany at the time was of course a complicated one. I shouldn't think there was any part of the twentieth century where it wasn't, really. One character, Konrad Beiters (Werner Eichhorn), refers to himself as a former Nazi. This may or may not be true, but it wouldn't surprise me. His lover and Katharina's aunt, Else Woltersheim (Regine Lutz), is an easy target for [i]The Paper[/i] because her father defected to the Soviet Union in '32 and then disappeared. Her father who was not married to her mother; I believe the mother is said to be living quite happily in the East. When the cops get a call from the capital, it is Bonn, not Berlin, because Berlin was the capital of the East. And at some point, we'll be getting to [i]The Baader Meinhof Complex[/i], which is also about the political complications of the era. This film's point is that political complications aren't the point. There's still a certain decency to other people. Things like courtesy should never fail to be politically expedient.

It's not an easy movie. I mean, for one, you have to have an interest in what looks like it ought to be a political thriller but is instead a scarred character piece. You must prepare to have some of your initial beliefs about Katharina proven wrong. Honestly, you must be willing to cope with the fact that you're never really going to know much about Ludwig other than that he's almost certainly guilty of something. Even if you find the ending valid, you're not really going to find it satisfying. It isn't. It's going to be clear pretty quickly that the cycle does not end with Katharina and with her actions. Then again, you knew that. You've seen it happen yourself. The last thing the movie tells us is in print. It says, "Characters and plot are purely fictitious. Similarities with journalistic practices of the newspaper "BILD" are neither intended nor coincidental, but inevitable." Obviously, [i]Bild[/i] is not responsible for what happens to the fictional Katharina. But similar tragedies do still occur, and while we lament them, neither press nor purchasers do anything to change things.
October 6, 2010
Grandious Grotueske about a Fascist Conspiration of Police, Attorney's Office and Media celebrates a Witch Hunt on Anarchists and their Helpers in 70's Colonge and turn a Harmless Girl who fell in Love with a Anarchist Bank Robber and help him to hide from the Authorities into a Murder