Die! Die! My Darling! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Die! Die! My Darling! Reviews

April 29, 2018
Fun little thriller. How much you enjoy it depends upon how much you enjoy seeing tallulah Bankhead play an overly moralistic religious fanatic
½ November 12, 2017
Not a bad little movie. While the music and camera angle choices can be jarring at times, it?s quite atmospheric and paranoid feeling. Bankhead has a blast as an out of her mind holy roller who has a rather untethered relationship with reality.
½ February 6, 2015
Known as Fanatic in the UK, this Hammer thriller is based on Nightmare by Anne Blaisdell, and adapted by Richard Matheson, author of I Am Legend (1954), and screenwriter of Tales of Terror (1962), The Raven (1963) and The Devil Rides Out (1968), and directed by Silvio Narizzano (Georgy Girl (1966)), this is a tense and unnerving thriller which is compelling and deadly. American woman Patricia Carroll (Stefanie Powers) comes to England to marry Alan Glentower (Maurice Kaufmann). Before she does, Patricia wants to visit Mrs. Trefoile (Tallulah Bankhead), whose son she was engaged to marry before his untimely death. Mrs. Trefoile lives in a near derelict house on the edge of a village with servants Harry (Peter Vaughn), Anna (Yootha Joyce) and Joseph (Donald Sutherland). However, Mrs. Trefoile is a religious fanatic, and she ends up blaming Patricia for her son's death. To the point where Patricia reveals that she wasn't going to marry her son, she takes Patricia prisoner, to try and cleanse her soul. It's a shocking film, and it's quite violent and heavy going for it's day. But it has a brilliant powerhouse performance by Bankhead, who wages hell upon Powers, and they make a brilliant pairing in the film. The result is one of the best thrillers made by Hammer, even though it didn't have their usual repertoire of actors on board.
½ January 19, 2014
Richard Matheson scripted this film that, on the surface, seems to be cashing in on the "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" fad of casting old, has-ben Hollywood actresses in gory horror films. Tallulah Bankhead takes on the Bette Davis/Joan Crawford has-ben role here, kidnapping and imprisoning Stefanie Powers to get revenge over the dead of her son, Powers' former fiancee. I know Tallulah has a devoted following, but I don't think I've seen her in anything else besides "Lifeboat" and "Stage Door Canteen." After seeing this film, I must say that I can certainly see why she has a following. She commands the screen in an over-the-top role as the scary matriarch (and religious zealot) of an oddball assortment of family and servants, including Donald Sutherland in his film debut as a creepy man-child. Like "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" this film has a good balance of camp and straight horror. This film is not up to that level, but it's a solid little thriller with a great final film appearance for Bankhead.
January 19, 2014
I saw this on Turner Classic Movies last night. It was surprisingly suspenseful, and Tallulah Bankhead is frightening as a religious fanatic whose idea of being a perfect hostess is to keep her late son's visiting former girlfriend with her, forever.

Bankhead, still remarkably beautiful in her 60's, was apparently suffering from emphysema at the time of filming, but that didn't stop her from vigorously chewing the scenery as Mrs. Trefoile. A wealthy widow, and former actress who claims to have been saved from her fallen state by her late husband, Mrs. Trefoile has adopted a "fire and brimstone" form of religiosity that bears little resemblance to the religion of the Jesus of the New Testament. At moments, Mrs. Trefoile comes across as a cynic masquerading as a psychotic.. Those moments when we glimpse the phony beneath the fanatic are the most intriguing in the film, unfortunately, the movie mostly eschews psychological complexity, and opts for Grand Guignol campy horror instead.

There is, as in "Psycho" a strong suggestion that there was an inappropriately close relationship between Mrs. Trefoile and her late son. Stefanie Powers, as the damsel in distress, is quite sympathetic, but the film never quite decides whether she is heroine or victim.

The film's plot bears a slight resemblance to a 1945 film noir starring Nina Foch, "My Name is Julia Ross," but the resolution is not quite as satisfying. Worth seeing, but I wanted to rewrite the ending.
½ January 18, 2014
Potentially excellent thriller done in by typically schlocky Hammer brainlessness! Richard Matheson is a very good writer, and provides a good script. But, in the usual Hammer style, it's given a goofball treatment. The result completely undercuts what could've been a very good movie. Too bad.
½ January 16, 2014
o ver the top acting makes this one go
½ September 11, 2013
Pretty paint by numbers but effective enough for the year it was made. Has some pretty good acting and was the 2nd in a collection of Hammer suspense/thriller movies I got. Unlike the first one which was a little to tame this one had some bite and a crazy jesus freak. Worth a watch.
½ October 31, 2012
A creepy/campy good time from Hammer--Tallulah Bankhead: the world's most dreaded mother-in-law!!
½ July 27, 2011
DIE! DIE! MY DARLING! (1965)
June 1, 2011
Tallulah Bankhead delivers a hilarious performance as religious, vindictive Mrs. Trefoile. Enough said...
½ February 25, 2011
So amazingly suspenseful and dramatic. Reminded me a little bit of Misery. All the acting is superb.
neffielee
January 30, 2011
I found this movie to be quite good. Bankhead playing a crazy, religious zealot imprisoning and torturing strong-willed Powers equals entertaining. They both played their roles so well, that it almost felt like watching a frightening documentary.
½ December 6, 2010
I really enjoyed this crazy thriller, it was intense, and the actors are good. I highly recommend it.
½ October 9, 2010
Slightly amusing Hammer Thriller... Donald Sutherland steals the show.
½ May 25, 2010
Hammer's answer to Strait-Jacket. Not the studio's finest hour, but good stuff.
½ March 21, 2010
I enjoyed this a lot, Tallulah Bankhead gives an over the top performance as a aging star, Ms. Powers also gives a very brilliant performance, she is also very pleasing to the eye in this. Donald Sutherland has a very small role also. Recomended.
February 21, 2010
I completely agree...Narrow-minded religious views will most definitely lead to death, darling.
January 19, 2010
Well-acted, but relentlessly lurid, unpleasant and simply no fun to watch. A sense of humor is crucially lacking. Stephanie Powers sure was a beauty, though. Donald Sutherland's "Igor"-type role is rather embarrassing, given his subsequent achievements.
January 2, 2010
full of cheese and zazz.