Die Mommie Die! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Die Mommie Die! Reviews

November 22, 2015
A really fun campy movie with great performances from Charles Busch, Natasha Lyonne, Stark Sands, Jason Priestly, and Frances Conroy. It's kind of a spoof of movies like Mommie Dearest about a diva mother and a messed up family and if you take it too seriously, you'll miss out on the fun. Great costumes, hair, make up, art direction/production design, and writing.
June 2, 2015
Mark Rucker's film of Charles Busch's script is one of those classic indie gems that seemed to fly under the radar. Rucker fills the screen with a committed stylistic flourish and he fully utilizes the talents of a cast who appear to not only fully understand the artful but over-the-top spoof equal to their commitment to their respective roles. While this is most definitely Charles Busch's movie, he never gets in the way of the consistently comedic performances of the supporting cast. Natasha Lyonne and Jason Priestley really shine in this unexpectedly fun send-up.
December 10, 2014
The problem with Die, Mommie, Die, a drag send-up of the genre, is that it spoils the fun by making things sooooooo obvious.
January 29, 2014
Campy/trashy farce! Charles Busch in drag! It's funny and not meant to be taken seriously!
August 29, 2013
I absolutely love it.
June 8, 2013
Enjoyable campy romp, this film sets out to parody the campy melodramas of the 50s and 60s by being one at the same time as sending them up. Charles Busch is very good as the heroine of yesteryear, and a convincing woman, but for my money, plays it a bit too straight. This is less Mommie Dearest and more well, Die Mommie Die! I suppose it's hard to pull off intentional camp, but everyone does a good job- particularly the ever-handsome Jason Priestley. Unfortunately I saw the first twist coming a mile away and that made the last third a little too silly, but not silly enough. It's good enough if you're a fan of the original genre and looking for something light and entertaining.
½ April 10, 2012
although the acting is cheezy its a different spin on sitcom life.
½ May 31, 2009
I give the actors in this movie mad props for giving themselves so completely to such silly campiness. but because of everyone's dedication to the style, the acting never came across as bad. it was deliciously over the top.
Fabulous bitchy fun.
May 18, 2009
an excellent film with an amazing performance from charles busch, it was funny, dark, ironic and had many twists that were interesting and unexpected i highly recommend this film.
May 18, 2009
A valentine to 'womens pictures' of the thirties forties and fifties Die Mommie Die is amazing. An eclectic cast toplined by Charles Busch as over the hill diva Angela Arden this movie is pitch perfect. Homages to Crawford, Davis and Stanwyck will make classic movie fans smile knowlingly. The reference to Sunset Blvd especially brought a smile to my face. Highly Recommended.
its ok, somewhat funny
March 31, 2009
The first time I watched this, I was very harsh.
After rewatching it though, I like SO much more. Camp has always been a rough sell for me, but I like it.
This is just such an odd movie in every way, that it needs a couple viewings to really grab you. And grab me, it did.
February 27, 2009
it takes a rare intelligience of camp to understand the greatness of charles busch.
January 31, 2009
On a whim I decided to give this movie a shot after a friend had recommended it some time back and it had been sitting in my GLBT movie collection for sometime. I was certainly surprised once the film started and was generally pleased with the result.

Sure, it's not the kind of film that's going to win any Oscars, but that's not why it was created. At its core it's a comedy presented dramatically, an homage to the era of Bette Davis films when women were stronger in different ways and had to be gifted with some of the best one-liners ever. It's campy beyond belief complete with hammy acting and a drag queen at the center of it all, and in that sense it does amazingly well as a film of its kind.

You're either going to love it or hate it, really. Should you decide to watch it, try to appreciate it what it is and not for what you expect it to be.
½ January 16, 2009
Not very good...you can tell this was derived from a play...

Good intentions, but it turned out to be an Indie-Dud IMO...
½ January 8, 2009
2003 Seattle Lesbian & Gay Film Festival
January 2, 2009
jag somnade hela tiden, men det jag såg var bra
½ December 22, 2008
fun & campy. little more subtle than "psycho beach party" though busch is better in this film.