Die Tür (The Door) Reviews

• Aug 19, 2017

Surprisingly interesting movie. At first it seems to be a pretty obvious melodrama about a man suffering the loss of his daughter and the chance he has to remedy the mistakes of the past. But then unexpected twists take place and without noticing it you are caught in pretty suspenseful and riveting situations. Good movie. P.S. I wonder if behind the film's not being famous in the West is the fact that the film draws parallels with the influx of immigrants and the fear of European population to be replaced by them.

• Mar 04, 2016

A dramatic sci-fi flick where we follow Mads Mikkelsen as David. His little daughter dies in a horrible accident and he want's to take everyting back to that exact day and make it different. Well, it turns out that he can. A pretty simple timetravel film, but it gets more complicated by the minute. OK plot, OK excecution. I saw a version where I believe Mads was dubbed, it did not sound like his voice at least. It was very fluent German, though. It's not a big film in any matter, but never a poor one either. It's not really exciting and I don't feel gripped. Mikkelsen deserve better. 4.5 out of 10 pools.

• Aug 15, 2015

The story has a lot of potentials that unfortunately have not been used.

The story has a lot of potentials that unfortunately have not been used.

• Jun 22, 2014

Great film. I wasn't fond of English voice-overs in lieu of the actors' own voices in another language with English subtitles....but still a really good film.

• Apr 03, 2014

Reminded me of Butterfly Effect and Looper. The idea of time traveling is not new and I first thought this was like those kinds of movies and didn't expect much from it. But if you add much disturbing and serious elements (losing a child because of your mistake and the idea that everyone can travel in time, like David does in the movie) can be horrifying. The ending leaves you thinking (it's definitely not a happy ending), and it's amazing to see how Mikkelsen can act using his eye gaze and body to bring David character into life.

• Feb 08, 2014

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Nov 16, 2013

Die Tür sounds better than it actually is. Nevertheless, it raises an interesting philosophical question regarding our conceptions of self. There are a number of coincidences and discrepancies about the time travel in the film, but one may ignore these should one look from a strictly academic and theoretical perspective. Despite relatively good acting, however, I cannot say that the dystopian horror-thriller style is too my taste.

• Jul 16, 2013

Mads is a feat in any language. This was an awesome little time travel sci-fi feature with a heap of sadness and a few what if's. Definitely stylized and different and definitely another good one for sure.

• Jun 15, 2013

A unique concept that starts to wear thin half way through. A parents worse nightmare and the door that can change everything! 16/6/2013

• Mar 02, 2013

Though a bit rushed in the final act...this is more so a tale of guilt in the guise of a slightly fantastical thriller. A father tries to assimilate into a second chance at life with his daughter, who died accidentally five years earlier, once he discovers a door that leads him to the day of the tragic event,allowing him to save his daughter. The thriller aspect comes when he runs into his previous self, gets caught up in murder and must struggle with harboring the secret about himself. At times touching and at others quite nail biting, it contains some wonderful character moments and Mads Mikkelsen is amazing with all the subtlety and passion in his eyes...he emotes the perfect mix of desperation and love. Though the element of the whole town being involved is somewhat hamhanded, the film manages to tap into the desperation of the human heart. Paired with a tender hand at the camera, beautiful score and subtle performance by Mads, I enjoyed this wondrous, suspenseful story. A mix of Somewhere in Time, Timecrimes and Outer Limits.