Anders als die Andern (Different from the Others) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anders als die Andern (Different from the Others) Reviews

½ August 20, 2015
This 1919 German silent film has to be the earliest queer film I've seen. This, along with two other films made in Weimar Germany - 'Michael' and 'Sex in Chains' - stands as landmark in queer cinema. The movie is really ahead of its time; from the story treatment to the informed way of handling the theme of homosexuality, many countries can learn how artists of ages past (this one almost a century ago) have tried to tackle such subjects with grace and their own unique style. Many might be get annoyed by the long expository monologues, but considering the time and the intention of the film, it's completely understandable; movies have the power to enrich.

The film was adapted decades later in Britain - 'Victim', and the sad thing is that in countries like India, where such law sections are relevant even till this date, such a theme hasn't been explored properly on screen. I've always believed that informed exposure to a subject is a giant step closer to understanding and acceptance of it.

The actor Conrad Veidt who's the lead in the film becomes a star with his next year's film , 'The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari', and even has a small role in 'Casablanca' as a Nazi (funnily, he fled from the Nazis to England).

Overall, interesting story and brilliant treatment.
March 28, 2015
A film made 96 years ago... and it's still ahead of it's time.

âRespected ladies and gentlemen take heed. The time will come when such tragedies will be no more. For knowledge will conquer prejudice, truth will conquer lies, and love will triumph over hatred."
April 22, 2010
Andrea rates it 5 stars!
November 26, 2009
Judging from what little is left of the film, Anders als die Andern is an absolute milestone of cinema, and it's such a shame it isn't more well known. Veidt is utterly captivating as Kohner, and it's truly incredible that film that's 90 years old can seem more progressive than the views held by certain people still today. Outstanding.
October 18, 2009
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Ninety years may have passed, but we're still using the same language and seeing through the same lenses.
January 7, 2009
surprisingly progressive. I wish the full original version existed to see
½ January 1, 2009
This film is more progressive than most today, dealing with the subject of human rights & homosexuality. It's invention as an 'enlightenment' film ensures a fair bit of preaching, but considering the level of accepted prejudice against homosexuality today I'd say you can't be direct enough on the subject. Brilliant performance by Veidt as a man being blackmailed and tormented for his sexuality.
November 15, 2008
I am not going to say that this was a most entertaining movie, it was not. I did find it VERY enlightening.
½ October 7, 2008
An interesting film, especially due to the fact that it explored the plight of the prejudiced homosexual in the early 20th century. Of course these films were eventually banned, so it's great that at least most of the footage was saved for historical reasons. Not the best film or anything, but a great watch for...like I said...historical reasons.
½ July 13, 2008
Wow. One of the first films to ever address homosexuality - and of course Magnes Hirschfeld is involved (my favorite gay, Jewish, socialist sexologist!)
June 4, 2008
I was rather impressed with how progressive this movie was considering it was made in 1919. Sadly, parts of the movie did not age well, such as the bizarre blocking during the fist fight and the static camera work. Still, the characters were complex and compelling, and I was transfixed: I had to know what happened next. All in all, surprisingly enjoyable.
April 4, 2008
One of (or the?) first films to deal with gay rights. Very sad that so much of this film has been lost to time. Like one netflix viewer wrote, you should watch this as bit of history, not a movie (because a lot of it is explained with title cards).
½ March 3, 2008
One of the first film dealing with homosexuality. A film which was pretty innovative for its time, later destroyed and forbidden, so that only one copy survived - a film worth watching.
August 2, 2007
It's a shame that only fragments - a mere third! - of this film have survived, not only because it seems like it would've been a good film, but also because this film has probably the first homosexual character ever written for cinema (Paul Körner played by the wonderful Conrad Veidt).
½ February 14, 2007
No complete print of this film is known to exist. When the Nazis came to power, they destroyed as many copies as they could. This is why it was with considerable astonishment that I discovered that my local library has it on DVD.

This film was made, along with apparently more than a few others, to protest "Paragraph 175," mentioned elsewhere as being the paragraph that criminalized homosexuality. (Well, homosexual acts, which I suppose is a valid distinction. But since you basically commit sex acts or go celibate, and since very few of whatever orientation choose the latter, there you are. And in fact, the law could be interpreted to mean merely kissing or fondling!) These films all featured "sexologists," a term you just don't hear often enough these days, explains very patiently that there's nothing wrong with being gay, that a lot of major historical figures were gay, and that it's your own fool fault if you think there [i]is[/i] something wrong with it.

Sadly, though this film is about to turn 90, some people still don't seem to have gotten the point.

Our sexologist, whose name I don't recall, tells Drooly Wannabe-Girlfriend Girl to give it up; she's not going to "cure" Conrad Veidt's character, tortured violinist Paul Korner. He rails against the mindless prejudice represented by Paragraph 175. We actually see the blackmailer given free rein, because if Paul Korner turns him in, he gets to turn [i]him[/i] in on Paragraph 175 charges.

Which happens, naturally. But the sexologist testifies before the court, which says, in a nutshell, "You, blackmailer? You suck; four years in prison for you. You, tortured violinist? We'd like to let you off entirely, but the law won't let us; one week in prison for you!" (Judge Harry Stone would sentence him to $50 and time served.)

Of course, Korner becomes a total social outcast and ends up killing himself. But you knew that already, didn't you?