Dim Sum Funeral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dim Sum Funeral Reviews

February 9, 2014
Dim Sum Funeral is a flawed, but very underrated dramedy about a family that is brought together after the death of their mother who demands a traditional Chinese funeral. While the drama and comedy aspects sometimes clash with one another, giving the film a bipolar and uneven tone sometimes, for the most part, it's a solid film about the troubled lives of each family member and how they are drawn back together through tragedy. It's not as polished as the likes of say, The Joy Luck Club, but Dim Sum Funeral is a very underrated film that is much better than its reputation would suggest.
August 21, 2013
I am going to pass on this one.
October 23, 2012
very touching and funny
October 2, 2012
The whole time I kept thinking, "No wonder the US doesn't want to hire Chinese actors."
June 19, 2012
Super-simplistic and badly acted.
January 23, 2011
It's a bad sign when you find yourself paying more attention to the interesting Chinese furniture in every room. Who is the furniture's agent? I think this movie was the furniture's big break.
December 12, 2010
I really enjoyed this movie.
½ August 26, 2010
This movie was savaged by the critics yet I really enjoyed it. Except for Bai Ling, the cast was fantastic and it was great to see Talia Shire again. Call me sentimental but I cried at the end...
July 27, 2010
I liked this movie. Through the circumstance of their mom's funeral, a Chinese-American family come together for the week-long traditional Chinese funeral. There is a lot to resolve - issues about the siblings relationships, and issues regarding their mother.
½ June 22, 2010
Jaw-droppingly misguided in its blend of mawkish sentiment and comic relief. Like a Tyler Perry movie for Asians, only worse.
May 29, 2010
A Touching Emotional Film which was a Truly well done film. By far a well acted film too. 9 outta 10 Stars!!!
½ May 23, 2010
In honor of Asian History Month...not sure how honorable it was
May 23, 2010
A look at a traditional Chinese funeral and the family dynamics surrounding it.
½ May 9, 2010
Very good! If you want to see a movie about Asian culture this is a great one to understand how insane it really can be.
½ May 9, 2010
This was artistically painful to watch. Kelly Hu alone adds an extra star.
May 9, 2010
HBO is celebrating Asian heritage this month. This was a Chinese drama but took place in Seattle and the actors spoke english. Thought it was pretty good though.
½ April 12, 2010
dysfunctional family-asian style!
great 2 see talia shire acting again!
April 12, 2010
Family Bonding, nice story plot... meaningful. Cherish before its too late.
½ April 11, 2010
this is different kind of chinese movie... no special effects, no kungfu fights, no epic adventures.... just plain contemporary chinese family with struggle, joy, secret and life... nice touching movie... i liked it...
½ April 7, 2010
I just re-watched "Chan is Missing" and loved it! This new Wayne Wang film was really, really rotten though. The characters were pop-up, cartoon like and predictable. The acting was overly melodramatic and so "look at me emote!" that I couldn't watch the ending of the movie. I walked out of a Netflix theatre and I rarely do that. A complete wast of time.