Dim Sum Funeral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dim Sum Funeral Reviews

½ January 29, 2010
me encantó esta película sobre relaciones familiares. Vale la pena verla.
½ January 24, 2010
That was acting??? Geez.
½ January 20, 2010
Matriach of a chinese-american family dies and the estranged children come together for the funeral. Potential could have been there, but unfortunately theres no real pulling at the heart strings, not enough character development, no chemistry between the characters. Although, Bai Ling makes a fun appearance as the lesbian girlfriend of one of the daughters. Julia Nickson was a nice surprise also, she guest starred in Babylon 5 as the first commander's girlfriend.
January 10, 2010
01/09/10 Couldn't make it all the way through. Very slow moving and poor acting.
January 2, 2010
Interesting... wonder if it is any good like Joy Luck Club....
½ December 30, 2009
As a Chinese born in America this movie was extremely touching to me. Its something that I can relate too. The actors were great and all the subtle touches were appreciated. I can really recommend this to people who want to learn more about the Asian experience in America.
December 29, 2009
Worst acting I've ever seen in my life.
December 13, 2009
Pretty standard story of a dysfunctional family gathering for their Mother's funeral. Some funny moments, but the dialog and acting seems forced at times.
November 29, 2009
I predicted the ending - well, at least it crossed my mind - but other than that I enjoyed this movie. Well written, with real issues and real dialogue. The characters are very distinct and the premise is good too - a mother who wants to love her children and be loved by them on last time. Good acting too. This is listed as a comedy and there are funny bits but it's really a drama. Mostly Asian-American cast too! We need more films like this and in the mainstream.
November 28, 2009
hillarious yet touching presentation of the chinese-american family and their dillemmas. the passing of a beloved mother turned out to tighten the family ties closer. it reminded me of blue mansion's glen goei, without the murder mystery & intrigue fiesta of course. this came out first, though.
November 8, 2009
Didn't particularly like the ending, but enjoyable until then
November 7, 2009
Good intentions, but terrible, terrible acting.
½ October 6, 2009
I enjoyed this movie. It was interesting to see the traditions of Chinese funerals and the whole process. I thought the "lesson learned" was a little immature for the adult characters but most of the characters acted like children anyways.
September 26, 2009
It's an interesting movie set in the backdrop of Americanized Chinese culture. It's humourous in spots, touching in others. Ultimately, it's...okay.

It's funny how many Asian actors they managed to find for this film. Seems like all of them.
September 20, 2009
very good movie, showing the truth on chinese born overseas , especially in western country
September 15, 2009
An ok drama about an estranged family coming together after the death of their mother.

The sisters and brothers learn somethings about themselves, and their mother that they never knew, and through the funeral procession, come together.

Then the twist ending...oooh the mother faked it, and she was alive all along. They get mad, they forgive...boom its crap and its over.
½ September 5, 2009
I expected this to be a very good Chinese film. In general I enjoy Chinese movies, because they show us such an opposite rhythm of life from our western society and also a very different way of thinking. But this movie was none of that. There was bad acting, bad dialogue, and bad everything. From the beginning I felt like I was watching an U.S soup opera. Just an awful movie.
½ September 5, 2009
½ September 1, 2009
I was really shocked by all the bad reviews on here. Really shocked! I will say that I am not Chinese myself, so if part of the bad reviews are due to somehow being offended by the material (though I personally don't see why) then I cannot speak to that. However, I personally love movies which are able to blend drama with lots of humor. It isn't a dark comedy, no, but a light hearted drama, something I find much easier to swallow than the heavy handed stuff. So what is Dim Sum Funeral? To me, it comes across as a light hearted look at death and an affirmation of life. You have four siblings reuniting (we get the sense this has not happened in ages) upon the death of their mother. Each sibling has his or her own problems--one has lost a son and now struggles with her marriage, another is cheating on his wife and is struggling with his marriage too, another is a lesbian who wants to have a child, and the fourth, well, she seemed less visible to me. I know a critic on here said it was too 'melodramatic' and 'soap opera-ish.' Since when did it become a crime to have some melodrama? I find it a terrible cop-out to just say something is melodramatic as if that is a synonym for 'bad' without giving real reasons for either personally not liking a movie or finding it objectively bad. As for soap-opera-ish, maybe it is a tad bit, but again in a good way. But the acting is good, something most soaps can't claim, and the biggest resemblance to soaps is in the plot lines. This movie could easily be a long, detailed novel, exploring all the ins and outs of the family dynamics. But it is probably much more palatable and accessible in the format we have--a much shorter cinematic representation of a family coming together at long last. For what it is and what it tried to accomplish, I think it did quite well. Worth a watch if you are in the mood for good humor and only a mild dose of drama, all of which will leave you feeling a bit lighter and cheerier at the end.
August 31, 2009
If you're even a teeny bit Chinese, part-Chinese, Chinese in your past life or simply having "yellow fever" (heh, heh), you will recognise yourself in at least some of it, and snigger at some parts of the movie. Family feuds, dark secrets, personal scandals, black sheep.... A refreshing twist at the end. A light, enjoyable movie - seems like every family has their matriach. Long live Kapitan!