Diner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Diner Reviews

January 31, 2019
The best comedy movie ever made!
December 9, 2018
Have the pleasure to watch these young ensemble of great actors in "Diner", is death, and I mean it in the best way possible, but what I enjoyed the most is the writing! The dialogs are funny, simple and most importantly they feel real, authentic. Loved the music and settings too. ps: it seems like comedy from all decades is still fun, except the 90s. The 90s sucked.
August 20, 2018
The rare movie that you wish didn't end
½ June 3, 2018
It tries to be the next American Graffiti, but just barely half succeeds. Mickey Rourke's version of John Milner is too much of a softy. We get tied up in time-wasting, non-experiential silly scenes like Billy's musical at the strip club. It's a nostalgia buddy film with a very thin plot and barely likable characters, but it somewhat glances at the heart of young men and their diner culture. This film looked a lot better ten years ago when I was a less sophisticated viewer, but it did not age well. By the time we get to our mushy end wedding scene, it feels like a regular studio chick-flick. Skip this, go to American Graffiti.
February 17, 2018
Great movie showing how one might grow up in Baltimore. What a cast, "get them while they're young!" 1001 movies to see before you die.
June 9, 2017
Genius, one of the best scripts ever. I always see something new to admire on each viewing.
½ March 23, 2017
A fun, nostalgic trip to a simpler time. Not much happens, but these guys sitting around talking is infectious and realistic.
March 14, 2017
3/5 Stars. A decent film, if pretty empty of plot. The director admitted he structured it very much like a proto-Seinfeld, where the everyday stuff that goes on is the story in and of itself. That said, it doesn't flow nearly as well and just kind of plods along without much direction. It's meant to be a Guy Film, in that it's primarily about a group of young guys doing young guy stuff: fighting, arguing, chasing girls, driving fast cars, etc.

Ironically, I found the most compelling portion of the film to be the scenes involving Mickey Rourke (who is damn near unrecognizable to the modern eye) and Ellen Barkin, as well as the prelude featuring Daniel Stern (Marv from Home Alone, wut), which covered Barkin's character's failing marriage to Stern's and her subsequent comfort found in the arms of Rourke. Barkin's acting in these scenes was superb, I should note. Rourke had been the suave playboy up to this point in the film, and seduced Barkin into having sex with him so as to pay off a debt (long spoiler story), but just as he's about to get her to the apartment, he decides it's wrong. The film does a good job of building Rourke up as fairly unscrupulous, so this comes as a bit of a surprise. A couple of other scenes troll modern cinematic expectations well earlier on (the accident and the knife scenes), which I thought was interesting and meta.

One of the highlights of the movie is the authenticity. The cars are classic 1950s, and there is a large slate of songs played mostly via radio that are rather corny by today's standards, but were current then and add to the immersion.

Overall, worth a watch if you're into guy movies or period pieces set in the '50s.
½ October 16, 2016
Not as good as I had remembered. A nice coming of age story reminiscent of "I Vitelloni", but some of the performances are pretty weak.
½ September 15, 2016
Nothing happens. There's no real plot, just some minor happenings among the different members of a group of friends. I suppose they hit what 1959 was like and there were some funny parts but the only real reason to watch it is to see an early point of several actors' careers who would become stars.
½ April 12, 2016
Fun nostalgic journey to 1959. Great early performances from Ellen Barkin, Kevin Bacon, Paul Reiser, Daniel Stern among others.
March 1, 2016
Not much of a plot here, but enjoyable nonetheless, thanks to likable characters performed by an all-star cast before they were stars! It was so fun to see these well-known actors at the start of their careers. This was a really nice period piece.
August 8, 2015
"Diner" is wonderfully funny and poignant at the same time. It is marvelously casted, extremely well written and absolutely one of the best coming-of-age movies around.
April 28, 2015
I can't remember much about this other than it was one of the list of movies serious film buffs were supposed to have seen...I recall lots of conversations and not a ton of action...also seemed to reflect a less than stellar portrayal of women...
January 22, 2015
This is one of those movies where I appreciate it and its legacy more than I actually like it. There are a couple quick good bits but those are so brief and sporadic that they kind of add to how disjointed and meandering the screenplay is. If something works, it's because of the actors, even if their characters are really annoying at times. The ending is cute, though. If only that part's themes carried through more consistently. I really hate to say it, but I was bored for a lot of it.
August 24, 2014
It's one of those films you'll find really good by its performances in characters and settings, despite trying to follow the characterizations from time to time as you're watching. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
August 18, 2014
Finally got around to checking this one out after years of hearing about it and I was pleased to say that it's a nice little slice of life drama, though I wasn't expecting it to be a period piece, so that threw me a little but at first.

Well worth a rental.
July 15, 2014
An all-star cast of who's who before they became famous. While the story is a bit slow the nostalgia of better days is enough to appeal to the viewer and the cast easily makes the movie a fun way to spend 2 hours.
½ May 23, 2014
Solid, not spectacular. Amazing cast, when you consider where they were in their careers. Solid movie.
May 22, 2014
Quite the ensemble doing such a fine job in this great comedy.