Dinner with Friends - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dinner with Friends Reviews

August 4, 2015
I loved it. It's such an intense drama about relationships and marriage and what happens over the years. Completely realistic. This movie is probably fairly obscure to find, but I randomly own it and finally watched it. It's a rough watch, solely based on the dialogue. Nothing else really. The points made in the conversation are hard hitting and can affect anybody's relationship, it doesn't matter who it is. An amazing film for anyone to watch.
January 30, 2015
it was okay, very different. about family
½ September 24, 2014
The worst film I have ever seen. As one other person posted... over-dramatic.
November 5, 2012
TV may be mostly a wasteland these days, but every once in a while, a fine original film shows up on the tube. `Dinner With Friends' is certainly in that category. It takes the viewer deeply into the relationship between two couples and within each. An original Playwright brought to HBO is clever, entertaining and simplistic. The ending is a great twist- just when you think your know your friends... everything is an illusion.
April 27, 2012
A character and dialogue-driven gem backed by an all-star cast.
December 10, 2011
Not all marriages are heaven-made. Karen and Gabe's marriage was peer-pressured. They weren't in love from the start. I wonder about how many relationships are truly in love, and why they end up doing horrible things to eachother. Is it that folks don't know what love is, because true love never dies?
December 27, 2010
I really didn't get this movie at all and maybe it's because I'm not married but I found it boring and there was way to much foul language in it.
November 28, 2010
Perhaps I am not enough of an intellectual, but I had difficulties with this movie. I find the discussion of what keeps a marriage fresh an interesting topic, but I did not find the behaviour of the four main characters useful as a learning exercise, nor super entertaining as entertainment.
June 19, 2010
A very boring, odd, cold, unemotional movie about love and friendship. It was so boring we didn't watch the ending. Skip this one.
½ June 5, 2010
I thought this was gonna be another typical lovestory, but it turned out that it was a lot deeper than I had expected.
½ June 1, 2010
A sort of simple story about life, love and friendships. I enjoy all four actors in this film and thought they all did a very good job in their roles. I like how this sort of doesn't even feel like a movie half of the time and feels more like actual friendships and relationships in a sort of documentary type feel. Greg and Toni's characters were both, virtually, a mess and probably should've never gotten married to one another in the first place. I like how, even through some rocky times and having to witness the falling apart of their best friends marriage, Andie and Dennis' characters stay married and happy and work through their problems. I liked the ending and I adore Dennis Quaid's character when he does that "it's time to scare you" bit. So absolutely adorable and sweet and it's little things like that in a relationship that make it intimate and special, I think. I always enjoy watching this and it's just an HBO film but certainly holds it's own.
April 17, 2010
Toni Collette and Greg Kinnear are so much better than this script.
½ December 17, 2009
What a nightmare of disgusting overindulgent a**holes this entire group of characters were. This film was utterly terrible. Whiny, complaining yuppie jerkfaces they all were. Uneventful and boring.
August 7, 2009
Filme bem interessante. Recomendado.
March 27, 2009
Excellent script, performances, and concept, but despite all the deep emotions and intellectual rationalizations, I still found the story a little reductive. Normally I put no stock in how "likeable" a character is, but for realistic relationship dramas like this, I need to see what the lovers and friends see in each other. How do these people all wind up with happy endings?
½ March 14, 2009
Overdramatic and boring. Doesn't really bring anything new to relationship movies.
February 4, 2009
This is probably supposed to be a very analytical examination of relationships, middle age and the conflict between conformity and independance. The goals are admirable, and the film tries very hard to be very deep and influential. Unfortunately it all seems very clich�©d and the story doesn't really bring anything new to the table.

Donald Marqulies has adapted a screenplay from his own Pulizer Award winning play. The dialogue is simply awful at times, and doesn't feel genuine at all. On top of that the four actors, who have done some good stuff in the past, are quite lost with their roles. The fact that the film is directed in an old fashioned, Lifetime TV-movie sort of way and coated with awful soap opera music doesn't help one bit.
½ January 26, 2009
Not that good, but it is jolly good fun that Collette and Kinnear is a couple here as well as in "Little Miss Sunshine". Which is a much better film, by the way.