Dinosaurus! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dinosaurus! Reviews

October 11, 2014
I have to be honest here and say that I don't remember a whole lot about Dinosaurus because it was so dull, so my memory of it is very dim. I remember the beginning mostly and I think I tuned out for the rest. I remember the character of Dumpy and the annoying kid running around, and that they found a prehistoric monster in the ocean that, of course, came to life. That's about it. I hate to give movies like this such low marks because of the work that went into them, particularly with the stop-motion puppets, but it's a tedious bore. There's nothing that spectacular or engaging about it. I'm sure it thrilled people in 1960 when it was released, but I just couldn't get through it properly. So I'd just say that it's a boring film, and one that even a comedy troupe like Rifftrax can't even make enjoyable. It's definitely not the best of the genre or anything like that, that's for sure.
June 3, 2013
watched this when i was a kid and still do today. even if its effects are low tech.
November 30, 2012
of course i loved it. more so as a kid, because that was MY daddy on the dinosar.
½ May 13, 2012
This is one of those movies you can't take seriously.
½ March 18, 2012
I loved this movie a lot as a kid and I still do. The dinosaurs looks nice despite their inaccuracies. The are many flaws in the movie, and the caveman felt unneeded yet essential to the story. Interesting characters and a great climax.
½ January 28, 2012
This is one of those movies you can't take seriously.
May 29, 2011
Ha ha ha, there are worse ways to waste an hour and a half of your time. Logan will love this in a couple years.
March 3, 2011
If you love to laugh at old time classics, then this is a Must watch for you, it's not a particularly serious film, but it does have it's serious moments, which frankly are some of the funniest scenes to me.

Maybe I'm just weird but to me it's worth an hr and twenty minutes of your time. (It starts a little slow, so be warned)
February 27, 2010
It was worth it just for the shot of the caveman trying on a dress, alone. And that sentence right there should give you an idea of the caliber of movie you're in for with "Dinosaurus!" However, this is one of those films that's so damn goofy that you can't help but enjoy it on some level if you give it half a chance. The plot is a ridiculous flight of fancy, barely approaching the level of pseudo-science, the jokes flow like water, and you could practically make a drinking game out of how many times someone says the word/name "Hacker." In a nutshell, if you liked MST3K, you'll have a lot of fun with "Dinosaurus!" It's the kind of film that show was made for.
January 19, 2010
Fun and silly. It is like most of the '60s sci-fi films; damsel in distress, curious and witty little boy, hunky and manly lead... all of whom are on a tropical island that has been hiding centuries old creatures. I love movies from this era because they were funny, didn't take themselves too seriously and the men were masculine. 60's films are kind of the anti-Twilight because the men took charge instead of getting into dumb slap fights with eachother. Ah, the women's liberation has destroyed our culture. We must find the fun again.
½ December 26, 2009
This is one of those movies you can't take seriously. The stop motion animation is amateur, yet, this becomes a silly/cute quirk especially when the T-Rex finally gets ahold of the leading lady. The actor's take themselves way to seriously. The little boy, Julio, is exactly like Beaver Cleaver. If you're ready to laugh at old school B-Movies, this is the film you're looking for!
December 22, 2009
Bless the wonders of Netflix Instant Queue! I would have never even heard of this delightful slice of almost 50 year old chesse any other way! No, it's not good. But it's entertaining! An insanely ridiculous premise teamed up with some silly stop motion animation and you get DINOSAURUS! Any movie with an '!' at the end of it, deserves a look! Besides, where else would you get a character named 'Dumpy'?!
½ November 23, 2009
This is one of those movies you can't take seriously. The stop motion animation is amature, yet, this becomes a silly/cute quirk especially when the T-Rex finally gets ahold of the leading lady. The actor's take themsevlsves way to seriously. The little boy, Julio, is exactly like Beaver Cleaver. If you're ready to laugh at old school B-Movies, this is the film you're looking for!
½ November 16, 2009
Can't wait for the sequel!
September 4, 2009
Many an hour of my childhood was spent rewatching Dinosaurus on an old VHS, taped from the telly. To me it was a thrilling adventure with an endless stream of memorable moments. The deaths of the Brontosaurus and the caveman held genuine sorrow, the awakening of the dinosaurs after being struck by lightning true menace, and the final battle between the Tyrannosaurus and the crane real exhilaration.

Growing up can be a terrible thing.

Though these moments still ring true, the faults are clearer now. The effects aren't quite as seamless as I remember (some of the stop motion is terrible) and the story has turned more cheesy than engaging. But this will always be a defining film of my childhood, up there with The Goonies man. Incidentally, it's desperately crying out to be remade as a big budget, tongue in cheek creature feature! Maybe I can make it happen.
½ July 14, 2009
Revisited this childhood favorite and it still is a lot of fun and now with added nostalgic charm. The FX may be cheezy by today's standards but they still work on a camp level and the fact that the director and actors approached this with just the right level of seriousness really made it work. This was my Jurrasic Park when I was a little kid and they played it on channel 9. Fun stuff.
½ May 4, 2009
Movies don't get much campier than Dinosaurus!, which is about a construction crew working to build a harbor on a tropical island (made up of poorly written Spanglish speaking stereotypes) who uncover frozen dinosaurs and cave people. From this very moment, I started laughing hysterically once the movie tried to convince us that dinos and cavemen co-existed together. With that, I took this to be a live action Flintstones film and enjoyed the cartoony ride of this wacky little Science Fiction comedy. Things get interesting when the dinosaurs unfreeze then become reanimated thanks to bolts of lightning. Naturally, the brontosaurus is peaceful and lets children ride on its back, while the Tyrannosaurus eats people and causes destruction. Meanwhile, a lovable little native boy with perfect "Leave it to Beaver" one-liners befriends the highly confused caveman and teaches him how to do things properly. If you don't see any of the humor I see in this film, then your brain is probably no bigger than that of the toy dinosaurs in this film. I really didn't expect this from the same creators of the 4D Man or the original Blob. I will say the Dinosaurs and caveman are the best parts of this film, though I will say I highly enjoyed the character Dumpy, as well as the HORRIBLY stereotyped drunken Irishman. Recommended for kids only, followed by a serious lesson on the films high inaccuracy towards history and evolution.
½ December 22, 2008
Wonderful piece of childhood. The dinosaurs are still pretty fun, but great cinema this most certainly is not.
½ July 17, 2008
After The Blob, I expected better from these filmmakers. Although the film is entertaining on some levels, it suffers from a very low budget and a seemingly lazy approach to things like cinematography and special effects. They shot on location in the Bahamas, yet the beautiful scenery is never adequately captured. Most of the daylight shots are washed out and the night-time scenes in the jungles look like they were filmed on a back lot at the studio. The animation of the dinosaurs is very rickety and the models are cheaply made. The caveman, though, is the most pointless addition the movie, serving only as unneeded comic relief. The film's highlight: a battle between the T-Rex and a construction crane.