Dirt! The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dirt! The Movie Reviews

½ January 28, 2014
A cautionary yet incredibly optimistic look at the importance of conserving soil and other natural resources for the betterment of mankind. The interviews are intelligent and informative with plenty of poignant points.
January 11, 2014
The expression "common as dirt" wouldn't exist if there weren't an awful lot of dirt in this world. But is there as much as we think -- or even as much as we need? And what's been happening to it? Dirt is the outer layer of the Earth and the place where nearly all the world's vegetation comes to life, but the 20th Century was a bad time for dirt -- the rise of corporate farming practices have led to reliance of fertilizers with negative long-term effects on the soil, while clear-cutting of rainforests and global warming are making it harder to grow the food the world needs, making workable soil an increasingly scarce commodity. Filmmakers Bill Benenson and Gene Rosow offer a witty but incisive look at dirt, what's in it, how it's used and how we must protect it in the documentary Dirt! The Movie. Adapted in part from the book Dirt!
½ October 6, 2013
I would probably have rated this higher if it hadn't been so cheesy at times in that hippie spiritual earth worshiping kind of way, but overall, it was a good watch even though it made me lose all hope for our majestic spirit mother, earth. If you love dirt like I do, this one's for you.
June 22, 2012
Interesting, but a little dry...there seriously was no pun intended there. I promise.
½ June 11, 2011
a must-see documentary! Kids can watch and understand this as well. Where does dirt come from, how essential is "good" dirt to your life, and where to find "good" dirt... It's amazing how much we take the little things for granted...like..dirt.
May 7, 2011
Very cute, informative & fun documentary on dirt/soil and how alive it truly is. It's definitely worth checking out if you're into documentaries/green/being eco friendly, which I'd hope everyone would be by now.
May 4, 2011
Want to watch a dirty movie? This one may do it for you if you're interested in the future of our planet. Lots of inspiring stories as well as horrifying stories of how disconnected we are from the nitty gritty of life.
February 23, 2011
Dirt is the matrix of life, without it we die. Yet, we are systematically destroying our soil using with pesticides, fertilizers, mountain-top strip mining, asphalt and too many other ways to mention in this brief review. Can we grow enough food to feed all 8 billion of us if we run out of healthy land? Check out this film and find out...
July 11, 2010
Well I didn't knew Dirt could be so interesting, its an interesting look at dirt and how different cultures either respect and uses it, or they don't.
½ May 12, 2010
I am convinced that EVERY school needs a garden program!
½ April 13, 2010
I was hoping for something more scientific. Instead of science, it's more a mouthpiece for part of the green movement. I tend to agree with the movement so that's fine, but the documentary definitely could have been helped out with more people explaining why dirt does what it does. The experts in the movie typically lack a scientific credibility and instead approach soil with a sort of spirituality. Again, fine, but I think we miss a large message. Beyond that, anyone not into the hippie thing will probably be turned off from the message in pretty short order. All I'm saying is you can make an interesting, pro-dirt, pro-environment movie that includes lots of science. Anything microbiology can be pretty interesting. This docu and it's "soil is holy" approach definitely misses that mark.
March 15, 2009
Brian and I saw this movie at the Springs Preserve here in Vegas. We had a chance to meet the director and sit for a good discussion afterwards. It's a great movie and I am excited to see the plans for it evolve. Everyone should see this movie!