Dirty Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dirty Girl Reviews

½ May 8, 2013
Such a funny and good movie about family and parenting.
I love Jeremy Dozier. He's so cute and funny. I want to see him in more movies.
Juno Temple was really good in this. She's so beautiful and she really played her role well.
This movie did also make me cry. The ending was also very sweet.
I want a friend like Danielle.
½ May 7, 2013
So, I see the trailer for this and I think that it seems like a weird little indie movie...which it is. But I mean that in a good way. The story is actually an interesting one about parents, kids, and how and how children are raised. Not going to lie, the plot is sloppy. The story is a little all over the place with no discernible time line and really odd character motivations and shifts, which come way too easily. Also, I hated all but two of the male characters, which I don't know if that was on purpose, but I really did not like them. However, what saves it is the acting. This cast somehow makes this disjointed movie work. Juno Temple is fantastic as Danielle. Her character is the one that makes the way too easy character shift, and she somehow makes it work. Jeremy Dozier is really good in his debut as Clarke. For me personally, Milla Jovovich and Mary Steenburgen almost stole the movie as Danielle and Clarke's mothers, respectively. The two of them were the most interesting characters and I really felt for the two of them.They both just wanted what's best for their children, but they didn't know how to do it. Overall, this is a decent indie with a fun 80s soundtrack, but it's not a must see.
May 1, 2013
aside from the title, its a girl finding her father. nothing special.
LWOODS04
April 30, 2013
Dirty Girl was a fun small Indie flick. I really enjoyed myself watching this movie. The characters are loud and vulgar and I liked it. I'm a sucker for a road-trip flick. The film does deal with some heavy situations and the film makes no light of it, even if it is considered a comedy. Juno Temple is great in this movie. I loved her character Danielle. Her side-kick on this road trip, Clarke, played by newbie Jeremy Dozier, was just as great in this film. I really loved both of their characters. They definitely have to be two of my favorite characters I've seen on screen lately. The film also had a great supporting cast with the likes of Mary Steenburgen, who plays the yes wife. In other words does whatever her husband tells her to right down to how she should act and feel. Milla Jovovich plays Sue-Anne, another yes mother who lets her daughter run all over her. William H. Macy does well in his role as the new Morman boyfriend of Sue-Ann. Last but not least, Dwight Yoakam plays Clarkes overbearing, small minded, abusive, douche of a father. Great performanes by all. I really loved the movie. It's got a great mix of comedy and drama. Best of all, besides the performances and the film itself, was the music. The film has one of THE best soundtracks. I really enjoyed the movie, and I can't wait to see it again.
½ April 28, 2013
This is a cool comedy, the cast is great, i enjoyed the music, the pace, the colors, the vibe , i just thought the gay guy was a little over the top, kinda super queer. Juno Temple is gorgeous as a peach & gives another very interesting performance. she's definitely an actress to look out for..
April 24, 2013
"This turned out to be a different movie than I expected to be honest, I thought this was going to be a nice comedy with Juno Temple echoing Rachel McAdams' Regina George in Mean Girls throughout going on some road trip with a homosexual guy from school but I guess not. It was ok, started it off well but dragged on from the middle parts. Juno Temple however, gives a great lead performance though not her best but helps this movie get through for me. Milla Jovovich is decent while William H. Macy & Mary Steenburgen are badly wasted here. It's an ok an 1 hr and 20 minutes vehicle to pass time soley on Temple's performance."
April 21, 2013
This movie is both raunchy and sentimental at the same time. At times it's hilarious and also heartbreaking. I didn't really know Juno Temple before I saw this one, and it totally puts her on my map. The girl is good in this role. HIghly recommend.
April 21, 2013
It is completely out of character for me to like a movie such as this. However, I checked my disbelief at the door and simply enjoyed this movie. I think critics become so impressed with themselves, that they feel they can't ever be as impressed with anything else. Now, I need to watch this movie again and see if I can find any real reason the critics should hate it so much. One thing is certain, Republicans will hate this movie.
½ April 20, 2013
Interesting movie - quirky characters and good acting. But don't be fooled - not really a comedy, but actually pretty sad!
April 18, 2013
This movie offered a bit of everything.....humor, emotions, feel-good and even some awkward moments....Temple's performance is impressive... I would recommend this movie to anyone who has a good sense of humor and anyone who enjoys a good story line with a great lesson.....
MANUGINO
April 15, 2013
Let them talk.

Good movie! This movie offered a bit of everything. Humor, emotions, feel-good and even some awkward moments. In many ways Dirty Girl is funny, charming, delightful, and satisfying. In many ways it's dark, sad, depressing, and begging to be loved. We have two insecure characters that go about their insecurity in totally different ways. One, giving herself up to anyone and everyone, and the other just sitting by idly in high school taking the hatred from his peers and probably his classmates. It's a sad world after all. Eventually it is a true feel-good movie with a nice but somewhat cliché plot. To end all this, I'm really taking my hat off for the acting.

A comedic story of the search for identity and the redemptive power of unexpected friendship. Danielle is the dirty girl of Norman High School. When Danielle's misbehavior gets her banished to special ed, she teams up with an innocent closet-case and together they head out on a road trip to discover each other and themselves through a funny and serendipitous friendship.
April 9, 2013
Really the only thing that bothered me was the use of the Le Tigre song in the beginning. It's supposed to be set in 1987 and that song didn't come out until 1999 so yeah it wouldn't make sense. They kind of played it too many times too. But other than that, it's cute.
April 9, 2013
Clearly these reviewers must have no sense what a great film is. I love this!
Harlequin68
½ March 31, 2013
In "Dirty Girl," it is not sleeping through the student body of a high school in Norman, Oklahoma in 1987 that gets Danielle(Juno Temple) demoted to special education, but her unusual opinions in sex education. She is even less thrilled to be partnered with Clarke(Jeremy Dozier) in a class project, meant to represent them raising a baby, who she would not otherwise even give the time of day to. As bad as that sounds, it is better than his abusive father(Dwight Yoakam) bullying him over his being gay. At least, Danielle starts to take Clarke and the project seriously when failing looks like a distinct possibility which leads Danielle to think about her own missing father.

As amiable as it is with a surprisingly neat cast that includes an almost unrecognizable Mary Steenburgen, there is also nothing in "Dirty Girl" in its story about two small town misfits going on a road trip to find themselves that we have not seen before. As a period piece, this generic movie feels more like a movie made in 1987, not one set there, hence the lack of mentions of AIDS. That's not to mention the odd double standard on display.
½ March 8, 2013
I had never heard of this... but I gave it a go, and I'm not sorry. I liked the story alot, and there are quite a few awesome people in it - you should check it out!!
½ March 4, 2013
I like their adventure with purely simple mind, and the 80s music surrounding!
March 2, 2013
A fun and quirky film... perfect for the open minded
½ February 5, 2013
Fun movie. Super cute and on point. I grew up in the southern states in a conservative Christian family and this film is bang on with the stereotypes. The dotting mothers and psychotic fathers who are so straight edge it's scary is real in the south in the 80's..
January 31, 2013
A fun coming of age story, and one that cemented my interest in little Juno Temple, who has a great role here as the school tramp who runs away with a closeted teen that she's forced to work with for a school project, in an effort to track down her biological father.

Fun stuff, and a bit more touching than I expected it to be.
½ January 29, 2013
The beginning could use some improvements as the heavy accents and cliches hint this could be painful... but, no, it was fun and wonderful!