Dirty Pretty Things - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dirty Pretty Things Reviews

June 24, 2014
3.75/5 --- A dark movie about two peoples lives intertwined so, and both desperate to get out of the bad place they are in. Survival is not enough. Sometimes you gotta do things you cannot imagine...

"How come I've never seen you people before?"
"Because we are the people you do not see. We are the ones who drive your cabs. We clean your rooms. And suck your cocks."

A real character/environment study on people and how was deal with what we're dealt in life. Great acting by Audrey Tautou and Chiwetel Ejiofor, and gritty setting and realistic seedy underworld of illegals and illegal things. Actually near a hotel I stayed at in London in Shoreditch, yeah creepy side of town.

"Ooh, it is in there...I can hear it. Your heart."

Touching and romantic in a sad way, again, very sympathetic characters and struggles.
½ June 14, 2014
Remember Chiwetel Ejiofor, star of 2013 Top 40er 12 Years A Slave? His first major critical success was a murder mystery on the Top 40 Films of '002, Dirty Pretty Things. The central plot element is among the most disturbing homicides in film history. Ejiofor's character juggles many jobs, including taxis, room service, and medicine, and the homicide investigation begins when a prostitute sends him to Room 510. The toilet is overflowing, and he has to reach down the toilet to extricate something that the killer tried to flush down. It was clogged with the victim's heart! Okwe has two objectives: To save himself and a fellow hotel worker from deportation and/or prison, and to solve the murder and neutralize the threat.
½ May 24, 2014
Loved it. Chiwetel was great. Am a big fan of Frears...
½ May 21, 2014
The use of lighting is brilliant. Ejiofor's acting is impressive.
½ May 19, 2014
Or Immigrants Have All the Fun...

So, I didn't know what to expect from this film. At first, I thought it was a thriller about a mysterious murder, than I thought it was an insightful drama about the perilous lives of undocumented immigrants, and then I thought it was just a romantic drama. In the end, it was probably all of those things, but the second was the most intriguing and rewarding.

Director Stephen Frears once again manages to put the characters at the forefront of this tense, and often uncomfortable drama. Instead of just allowing his stylish imagery to set the tone or hoping the screenwriter can punish the characters enough for the audience to care, Frears allows enough soft, small character moments to help you fall in love with the characters as people. Frears has the benefit of fantastic performers in Ejiofor and Tautou to lead his film. Both are incredibly interesting and sympathetic, and you want to root for both of them. These characters feel like real human beings with wants and desires that make total sense.

So when Frears begins his condemnation of how immigrants are treated in society, it doesn't just feel like sensational, or mere topical, storytelling. It feels like the natural continuation of these characters stories. It's a great film that will keep you on the edge of your seat, not always in tension, but in genuine concern for these characters.
May 16, 2014
Functions as a smart and thrilling urban thriller, and a dark, nuanced drama about the lives and exploitation of illegal immigrants in the UK, with a pair of fantastic performances from Chiwetel Ejiofor and Audrey Tautou in her English language debut, proving as capable in a serious role as in endearingly quirky ones (such as she played in Amelie).
May 15, 2014
Stephen Frears looks at the topic of immigrants in such a gritty and fascinating way.
May 14, 2014
Solid thriller finds illegal immigrants mixed up in black market organ dealing.
½ May 6, 2014
Good thriller that successfully avoids the foreseeable formulas of the genre and gives us a compelling story with fine performances.
March 27, 2014
It's very well acted and the writing is solid, but overall I just found the film to be a bit too dry; and none of the characters were quite and likeable or interesting to follow as the writer probably intended them to be. Overall it's a good film about the hardship of illegal immigrants but it's nothing extraordinarily superb or memorable.
½ March 1, 2014
This flicks a better sleep aid than Ambien!
½ January 16, 2014
An emotional and gritty look at immigration in Britain, still spookily resonant over 10 years from its release. Audrey Tatu is a joy to watch, a brilliant indie flick
December 29, 2013
An excellent film about a very unusual subjet , Immigrants & organ traffic in London. Interesting, well written, well directed & marvelously acted this is a high class drama shot like a thriller. Very good.
October 23, 2013
Ejiofor is brilliant in this gem of a film.......so many layers to this masterpiece.
½ October 15, 2013
This was a good story, very well written and acted, very real...
October 12, 2013
loved the acting and the story!
July 18, 2013
A poignant portrayal of the woes of illegal immigrants, who steadfastly contend with the ill-fated odds that seem to be their normalcy. Though they routinely toil in isolation and desolation amid the inhospitable streets of London, their luck is about to change as they muster every strength within to engage the odds this one last time.
I am - however - compelled to say that: Ejiofor's performance was a tour de force!
July 14, 2013
A gorgeous film with a very intense and strong social commentary about the treatment of illegal immigrants. Just an overall great film, well acted and well shot. Ejiofor was really good in the lead role and completely believable. The only problem I had with it might be its music, sometimes I think it did not fit the mood for me. However its other strong areas manage to make me forget. I found it also to be a little melodramatic at times but not enough for it to take away the stronger sections of the film for me. So minus the sound design, overall a very powerful film.
July 2, 2013
A great movie about illegal immigrants in London and what they have to do in order to live.
½ June 20, 2013
Not bad but a bit slow!!!