Disappearances - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Disappearances Reviews

April 29, 2008
I can't put my finger on it: Was it poor acting or poor directing or maybe even poor writing? Definitely different and odd.
March 11, 2008
This movie was hard to follow, but even worse than that was some strange plot elements that really dragged toward the end. It was hauntingly beautifully shot though.
March 7, 2008
This movie was physically made where I was raised as a child. Some good acting, but I wouldn't want to see it again.
½ January 28, 2008
Honestly, I only rented Disappearances because there were a bunch of old people on the DVD cover and the concept of a Western filled with senior citizens intrigued me. The film didn't really deliver on that, sadly, and what could have been Actual Country for Old Men instead was made into a generic spaghetti flick with a dash of magical realism for flair.

The best part of Disappearances by far is the teleporting aunt, because hell, it's a teleporting old woman who spouts off Shakespeare and shoots people. You can't miss the potential in that. Also, the film looks great; even though it was shot on the cheap (budgeted at 1.7 million dollars), the director does an admirable job using natural scenery to create atmosphere. Unfortunately, that's pretty much where the unique parts of Disappearances come to a halt. The plot is some hoary nonsense about smuggling whiskey that gets completely dropped in the last twenty minutes of the movie to make way for shit randomly disappearing and some ridiculous subplot about a curse. I guess these seemed like neat elements to include in a Western, but they just didn't fit here.

The kid gave probably one of the worst child performances I've ever seen. Every line he delivered took me straight out of the movie, which wasn't that hard in the first place because it's not particularly gripping. They should have just put teleporting lady in his place and the movie would have been ten times better. The rest of the acting isn't bad; I guess Kris Kristofferson is important or something, which is why he ends up doing movies like this, right?
½ January 24, 2008
The movie felt kind of....lacking. Almost lifeless. There were some strong parts and the way the movie is shot makes it flow very poetically...but in the end is confusing and tries too hard to be philosophical.
½ January 22, 2008
There are elements of the film that do shine, which demonstrates how Jay Craven manages to attract big names to his films with such limited resources (i.e. Kris Kristofferson). The dialogue is clever and well-written, and there are quite a few moments, mostly in the first half of the film, where you'll be pleasantly surprised by Craven's ability to tell a story and keep a plot moving seamlessly. If the entire film stayed true to the theme shown in the beginning - harsh and unforgiving realism - Disappearances might have been remembered as one of Craven's better films. Unfortunately, it tries to do more with its script than the film can manage without overwhelming the viewer, and the ending seems rushed and somewhat terse. A good concept, but proves too difficult to follow...
January 1, 2008
this movie was really hard to follow. i sisn't read the book so parts of it i couldn't understand. "wild Bill" actor wasn't very good either.
blah
December 24, 2007
WHAT.......THE.......HELL.....
October 30, 2007
Just doesn't seem like something I would want to watch.
October 24, 2007
Ugh, looks about as fun as a trip to the proctologist.
October 14, 2007
Just plain weird. So the kid's grandad is a loup garou (a French werewolf no less), his grandmum is a ghost (as far as I can tell) and his Dad seems to have a penchant for trouble. Sacre bleu! No wonder everyone is confused.
October 12, 2007
very strange movie...i watched it twice and am still not sure i got it
October 1, 2007
Felt like Craven piled too much on and the amount of "think for yourself" left at the end caused me to be frustrated with this movie. Was an honor to meet Craven at my school today though.
September 11, 2007
Kristofferson is still alive?
September 10, 2007
I honestly didn?t understand most of this movie but I thought that Kristoferson (sp?) had a lot of charisma and that it was at the very least, interesting?
August 29, 2007
Good father & son flick!
August 21, 2007
Rach: Crap. Capitol 'C'.
August 21, 2007
I would like to see this one....
½ August 20, 2007
1 1/2 stars for the artistic creation that might have been, but just did not make it. Watch this slow moving, confusing film only if you are interested in some extremely beautiful photography. The scenery is quite gorgeous.
broadwaymo
August 20, 2007
I've stated in the past that you have to kiss a lot of frogs when you venture into the realm of independent films. With that said, I must admit that we've had a good run of late and seen some truly outstanding movies. That run came to a screeching halt with this flick and I take full responsibility for having chosen this dog. One has to imagine that it was very well received in whatever art house it played in, but went over with a thud in our house. The two star rating is for the cinematography, set design and with the exception of one particular character and his henchmen, for the costuming.