Disco Dancer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Disco Dancer Reviews

January 20, 2012
A classic in Hindi cinema...not in the conservative sense but comes to everyone's memory for being the entertainer it was when released and Mithun was superb
April 11, 2010
Pure insanity! I've shitted Triceratops afterwards. Drama, Music Geto Gangs, Superdiscodancers, Mother-Son affections. A quote goes like this: "He's got guitar phobia. A guitar killed his mother." Krishna, Krishna, adja!
February 21, 2010
I've never seen a movie encapsule everything that was awful and stupid about the 70's and disco, but my god, is it hilarious.
July 13, 2009
OMG!
Too awesome for words.
Disco revenge love dancing super supreme! Hahaha.

Bollywood classic.
January 18, 2009
The funniest disco flick yet. I looooove this film.
November 30, 2008
Inadvertent hilarity aside, the music and kung-faux in this is still very entertaining. I bet Chakraborty and Om Puri would like to take this off their resumes!
½ September 10, 2008
CLASSIC 80 s .. i jUST Love it .. i am disco dancer .. tat tat ta naaa...
½ August 24, 2008
Disco was already all about excess and poor taste, so when Bollywood does disco you'd better be prepared for a double-barreled blast of dance inferno madness.

It would be easy to dismiss Disco Dancer as pure junk if you haven't seen it. Fortunately (like many Bollywood movies) it possesses such infectious enthusiasm that the movie is enjoyable even though the pieces it's crafted from are so patently ridiculous. Mixing sappy melodrama, kung fu fights with gangsters straight out of an of Indian West Side Story, Bollywood-style disco song and dance numbers (some of which have bizarre adaptions of American tunes like Video Killed the Radio Star), romance, and borderline cartoon-esque villains; it shouldn't work.

Somehow it kind of does. The movie is off in its own weird, alternate world where disco was and always will be cool, the villains are vile, and for some reason people who are really good at disco are also experts at poorly choreographed kung fu. The film is rife with sparkling candy-colored scenes, some of which look like they were shot through a kaleidecope. Some of the dance numbers are pretty cool and a some of the bizarre tunes are catchy. The fight scenes are pretty damn funny, too. For the right kind of viewer it's a small piece of glittering disco gold.
August 21, 2008
Not only is Jimmy a Disco Dancer, a drama queen and a sexual dynamo, his fighting skills put Bruce Lee to shame. And his mother died by guitar, we should all be so lucky.
I‚??m pretty sure that my boyfriend will never forgive me for making him watch Disco Dancer with me although we both had quite a few laughs in between the tears of course.
At two hours and fourteen minutes the film is a saga of betrayal, love, death, and disco dancing.
The scene with the ‚??dance off‚?? includes the only two African people in the whole world who can‚??t dance. Great attempt by the film makers to make Jimmy look like a better dancer than he actually is. I saw through that trick right away.
My biggest problem with Disco Dancer is that, with few exceptions, the costumes were a HUGE disappointment. I know- I‚??m so shallow.
So remember people, it‚??s neither about the gold nor the silver; it‚??s about the song‚?¶
June 17, 2008
luv dis movie my fav
April 12, 2008
everybody live their life
everybody die their life
February 19, 2008
DOnt expect brilliant film making love it for what it is, and you can't go wrong. Mithun and Bappi Lahri cant go wrong
January 21, 2008
God, I used to watch this movie over and over when I was a kid. We had it on VHS. STAR was on the vhs tape too. I am a DISCO DANCER!
January 17, 2008
this is classic of bollywood. Beautiful music, unique and original plot and trully 100% idian real movie.
January 6, 2008
Mithunda one of the best movies. Good music which strom whole india.
December 18, 2007
ere comes mithun da!
December 18, 2007
Classic ... stupid but nice !!
November 29, 2007
More cheese than the entire nation of France but too much fun. It's so bad its good.