Disorganized Crime - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Disorganized Crime Reviews

½ June 19, 2016
Bank robber gets some partners together at a remote cabin in this dark comedy.
November 27, 2014
Quite the ensemble cast in this late 80's romp. A real list of dated 80's stars, the kind of list you just don't see anymore. Corbin Bernsen, Ruben Blades, Fred Gwynne, Ed O'Neill, Lou Diamond Phillips, Daniel Roebuck and Hoyt Axton. A silly crime/heist caper comedy that is pleasing and well presented in the stunning Montana wilderness.

I liked the plot because its not just a simple throwaway idea. A small team of crooks (Gwynne, Phillips, Blades and Russ) are hired by Bernsen to meet in a cabin in the middle of nowhere to plan a bank robbery. En route to the cabin Bernsen gets nabbed by the cops (O' Neill and Roebuck) but eventually escapes into the wilds of Montana. In the meantime the four crooks carry on with the plan to rob the bank without Bernsen. What follows is a genuinely amusing little comedy where the fours crooks manage to carry out their complicated impossible looking robbery whilst all the while Bernsen is struggling to find his back to civilisation. At the same time the bumbling cop duo are desperately trying to track Bernsen down and are mistaking everything the four crooks are doing as Bernsen's actions. This eventually leads to a nice little twist at the end for the poor beleaguered Bernsen.

So the plot is fun and funny, nothing outrageously funny but it makes you smile. But its the cast that make this movie work, you'd think it might be a case of too many cooks but no it actually works well. The four crooks are a genuinely amusing odd bunch both visually and personality wise. The leader of this surprisingly skilled little team is Fred Gywnne in all of his towering glory. His huge square frame and big block-like head really allows him to perform some great physical comedy with facial expressions which we all know and loved from his Munster days. Gwynne plays it straight here as the stern sensible stoic aging leader dressed smartly in a suit and fedora, that classic attire really suits him(no pun intended) giving him both a dashing and dangerous look.

He is joined by a very rugged manly looking Bernsen who has this golden sunkist visage throughout, he really does look too good. Thing is he doesn't have many lines in the movie, he almost plays a silent comedic role with lots of slapstick tomfoolery...its a good angle actually, quite unique. Lou Diamond Phillips plays the young carjacker and mechanic, Ruben Blades has more of a stereotypical role admittedly as the Latino gangster type but damn if he doesn't do it well with those vibrant tones of his. The less known William Russ can't be overlooked here either with a solid performance as the nervous jittery safecracker who's always at odds with Blades. Some great bickering between them.

On the other hand we also get some great performances from Ed 'Al Bundy' O'Neill and Daniel Roebuck as the bumbling but persistent cops on Bernsen's trail. Not only do we get a slapstick tour de force from Bernsen we also get a showcase in slapstick from these two. I can't deny that O'Neill does tend to give us all the regular facial/physical expressions and emotions we've seen in his long running TV sitcom. Its all very familiar and does kinda make you feel you're watching Al Bundy the movie, you can see his limited range really. But I also can't deny I love his routine and it always makes me smile. Roebuck is a good foil and sidekick to O'Neill's desperation and frustration but he does feel like a poor man's John Candy...sorry but I had to say it.

Honesty this really is such a feel good comedy betwix action movie...more comedy, its like 'Planes Trains and Automobiles' for some criminals sorta. The locations are stunning as I've already said, some shots really showing the expansive mountainous panorama's whilst actually making you feel the chill of raw nature. The plot is fun with tense moments...especially whilst they rob the bank and take out the cop cars, it does feel like they've genuinely put a lot of effort in and you want them to succeed. I always find it funny with these capers how they just happen to have all this expensive looking heist gear which they then proceed to dump after the heist.

All the characters are very likable, you wanna see the bad guys ride off into the sunset but at the same time you don't wanna see the cop duo get into trouble. Its so heartwarming and charming in the end with Gwynne grinning through his teeth whilst chomping on a fat cigar just like George Peppard. Don't get why they go back for Bernsen though, that kinda overrides the clever little twist at the end but hey ho. A totally overlooked and under appreciated comedy methinks, a great selection of character actors with some good solid old fashioned wholesome entertainment for all.
½ October 2, 2014
Very funny caper comedy that'll sneak up on you.
June 5, 2013
Saw this as a screener in Burbank.... It was called Bank Heist.
½ April 5, 2012
would like to watch this movie, but I don't know how but it is very funny
December 1, 2011
Better than I thought it'd be.
½ January 5, 2011
A little known and very underrated comedy crime caper. There's a strong ensemble cast playing a bunch of likeable characters delivering ample laughs. It may be quite hard to find but it's worth it.
October 26, 2010
looks like something from the $2 bin
April 17, 2010
Mildly entertaining 80's crime caper with a fantastic cast that deserved a better script to be working from, with William Russ and Ruben Blades providing some of the most entertaining and memorable moments in the movie.
January 3, 2010
This is another one of my favorites from back in the day, great comedy that makes you laugh from beginning to end. Excellent casting on this one, I thought Ed O'Neill's role was hilarious, and I loved the bickering between the main characters. Just funny, I love old comedies!! :)
November 17, 2009
½ August 2, 2009
would like to watch this movie, but I don't know how but it is very funny
½ September 5, 2008
A perfect comedy to watch a sunday afternoon.
August 15, 2008
Great movie. Why is it's popularity so low?
August 12, 2008
One of the best half-witted, comedies i have seen in years. A perfect essemble of stars and a superbly written script. Fantastic!
August 9, 2008
One of my favorite movies from back when I was a kid.
Such a great film!! Has an amazing cast..Ed O'Neill is so funny in this!
Why can't they make movies like this anymore??
Good characters, filmed on location, funny, suspense, great actors. Has everything that a great film should have.
One of the few movies I could watch over and over.
½ July 18, 2008
Kultförklarad. För mig och mina ögon, ett måste!
½ July 8, 2008
Another not so funny comedy.
May 29, 2008
This movie gets no credit for it's awesome cast, simple believable plot and all around greatness