Division 19 Reviews

• Apr 11, 2019

Unlike Dog's Way Home or Pet Sematary or many films for that matter, Division 19 doesn't try to hit any film beats. In fact it throws those out the window and instead casts a critical eye on the world of mass surveillance and State control. Fitting on a day when Julian Assange is finally arrested, Division 19 - a very good looking film on a limited budget - suggests the only way to fight the State is to stick together. Not so much as anarchists, but through the power of the Internet. It's not for the popcorn crowd. But it will make you think next time you happily hand over your personal data. Worrying.

• Apr 11, 2019

Would give zero stars if i could...they couldnt decide who was going to the central character and the story just wandered in too many directions..

• Apr 09, 2019

Felt kinda like the highest budget student film of all time. I was really hoping that the critics were wrong...but they are not. It's pretty bad. It's really not clear what is happening most of the time. Got about an hour in of the 90 minutes. Writing - 1.5/5 Directing - 1.5/5 Editing - 1.5/5 Acting - 2.5/5 Cinematography - 3/5 Audio - 2/5 Effects - 2/5

• Apr 09, 2019

For the few that gave this film student movie high ratings.. stick with your career and hope it's never in film business. The movie has only 3 great attributes: The cinematography, the tech visual effects, and the known actors' decent acting. Everything else, including direction, script concept, logic, and cheesy stereotypes are just crap. I could only tolerate about half an hour of it and called it a night.

• Apr 07, 2019

I assume from the diversity of critics vs audience that there are some fans associated with the film. Though the other problem with RT is the 60% rule, so if you're 50-50 on a film, it'll be 'rotten' which seems a rather negative take - maybe why so many reviewers are now refusing to have their page associated with RT. I quite liked Division 19. I certainly very much liked the themes which are timely - corporate take-over, erosion of liberties, an end to anonymity and ultimately a question of how much we - as citizens - are willing to do to change our futures. The film looks at the various sides to this choosing to use the characters as ciphers for the themes: Neilsen as the abuser of our date, Lyndon as the dinosaur of the past (with an element of hope that the democratic process hasn't been lost to the wishes of the elite), Barca as the future - wherein a world can be hacked into shape - and Hardin (Jamie Draven in a a subtle turn as the drugged confused and lost ex-con fighter) representing the ultimate end to the citizen who fails to act: In jail, watched, controlled and with no dignity remaining. It would be fair to say that while the one-size-all review grid will not be kind to Division 19 - judging characters within a standard format (we now seem to accept heroes who become suddenly and inexplicably consummate with guns, explosives and miraculous escapes. Not an action piece, DIVISION 19 is more a nuanced study of the dangers of social networking, data mining, erosion of all liberties and atrophy of individuality and identity. Had this been a pilot for a TV series I would watch the series. In a film, there is maybe too much going on - the themes being all important and not enough time within 90 minutes to explore all the characters. That said, it always a breath of fresh air to find yourself in the world of something unformulaic and which asks something of the audience. Namely are you a follower or a pioneer/visionary. As Clarke Peters says in the film (fabulous as Perelman the Oracle): Society forgives the criminal, never the dreamer. The followers who wish to ignore the uncomfortable truth will not like this take on a society drifting - very slowly - towards atrophy, like the frog in heating water, unwittingly boiling to death.

• Apr 06, 2019

I feel like the guys who made this movie really liked Fight Club and wanted to update it to 2017 with human chipping, increasingly brazen global banks, the federal reserve, and corporate culture in general. This is the recipe for a movie that I'd watch more than once, so I hung in there and kept hoping it would grab me. The most interesting parts of the movie were the factoids shared by various characters about their 'dystopian world'. The characters and the story.felt secondary to the delivery of these factoids. In the end, I can't say I really got into the story or cared much about the characters. Couldn't see why 40 million people would watch this Harden guy...who rarely talks and spends most of his time staring at things for long periods of time. It was still an interesting film and I hope other filmmakers will pick up on these 'outsider' topics, but I can't say I enjoyed this film in particular. I'm adding a star because I applaud the intent, even though I didn't really like the movie..

• Apr 06, 2019

Real weak, plot was bad, acting was just Ok, kept using the same footage over and over. I would rate it a solid 30%.

• Apr 06, 2019

This was a uneventful, drawn out, low budget, boring film.

This was a uneventful, drawn out, low budget, boring film.

• Apr 05, 2019

The excellent cast brings Suzie Halewood's vision to life beautifully. With it's brisk pace and Orwellian undertones, "Division 19" cautions against the erosion of privacy & civil liberties in the modern world. Full review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFLV-dOkz5A

• Mar 30, 2019

I saw this film at The Science Fiction Film Festival in London and it was by far the best fit that I saw there. It manages to be both atmospheric and dynamic and is also great to look at. I'm not normally a fan of the ''dystopian theme, but this film is really original and keeps you thinking about it long after the credits have rolled.