Divorce American Style - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Divorce American Style Reviews

August 25, 2015
It's cute, but really dated and doesn't hold up well at all.
July 15, 2015
While firmly imbedded in 60 style and culture, the film nevertheless humorously touches on many of the difficult timeless realities created by long term relationships and divorce. A very fun cast. I especially enjoyed the insanity of Debbie Reynolds character being on a date with another divorced man (Tom Bosley later of Happy Days) and attempting to pick up the kids. The convoluted mess of broken families each trying to get their kids results in one child inevitably being left behind--poignant.
August 5, 2014
(First and only viewing - 10/13/2013)
August 18, 2013
Painful comedy that touches on all aspects of Americans and their struggles with marriage and divorce. Good cast with Simmons, dyke, Robards, Reynolds as well as others. There was an interesting insight into the swingers culture in California, and a cute scene with a hypnotist. The whole thing was conducted by a man overlooking the valley, random.
April 8, 2013
its supposed to be a comedy but it wasn't even funny,and the storyline was dull. It's just an American remake (even though it is a different storyline, which isn't as good as the Italian one) of a highly rated foreign film, Divorce Italian Style,
March 13, 2013
Great to see so many post-marital situations get covered here. Several excellent actors/actresses combined with good direction and editing get all these loose threads to flow relatively smoothly through-out. Moral: Advice from friends is really just their revealing fantasies - so judge them by their words but don't do it yourself!
½ February 19, 2013
Badly dated, but Robards and Jean Simmons are both quite good.
½ June 26, 2012
Pretty racey for a Dick Van Dyke/Debbie Reynolds 60's movie. Quirky, original movie which dramatizes and plays with divorce and what happens to families in the wake of it. Great cast, enjoyable story.
½ May 22, 2012
I was all excited to see this movie especially because of its cast. Instead I found myself fast forwarding it a lot and not into it. There were 1 or 2 scenes in this movie that seemed like exact scenes between Steve Carell & Ryan Gosling's characters in the 2011 movie "Crazy, Stupid, Love" . I wonder if Crazy, Stupid, Love took scenes and inspiration from this movie?
December 28, 2011
This is a funny case. It's clearly dated. It's got a few good chuckles but never laugh out loud funny. It's kind of a shallow little trifle that tries to say something important but never really takes flight. Despite of that, I still liked it because this is the case where the actors really take flight with the material. Dick Van Dyke, Debbie Reynolds, Jason Robards, Jean Simmons, etc. give it their all and I really had fun watching them.
xxdebxx
August 23, 2011
Yep, I know divorce is no laughing matter but this one sounds awfully funny. Recommended by ~PinkMinkPrincess~ I am willing to chance it.
August 23, 2011
Divorce should be No Laughing Matter, but with Debbie Reynolds & Dick Van Dyke as the couple in Comedic Marital Turmoil, it certainly is!!! The film amplifies the little things that annoy spouses about one another in such a hilarious way, then the Process & Irony of Divorce , that it really gives Chuckle to how silly it all is & that it'd be Cheaper to Keep Her.
One of my favorite Scenes in Cinema is in this: Barbara(Debbie) goes under hypnosis in a Cabaret Act on Stage with the New Boyfriend(Van Johnson) & Soon to be Ex(Van Dyke) at the stroke of midnight, watching as she gets Camp, Vamp, & quite Burlesque Tramp, it's Hysterical. Only Debbie Reynolds could be Sexy & Funny at the same time & go above & beyond what the Script intended.Magic, Mayhem, Marriage, American Style.
½ August 13, 2011
A really fantastic cast manages to producer a really okay movie. DAS is not with out it's moments, but it pales in comparison to the Italian original.
July 10, 2011
Funny, Dick Van Dyke is such a cutie, and I just love Joe Flynn.
December 11, 2010
A good cast, but you can tell from the title and plot that this is supposed to be the American take on the film Divorce Italian Style, which was a much better movie. This movie isn't all that funny, but it has a good cast.
½ September 1, 2010
It says that it is a comedy but I didn't even want to finish it when I was watching it today because I think it's a boring movie. Boring boring boring!
½ February 16, 2010
A rather biting comic satire, very well written and fine stylish direction. All the performances are fine, one of Debbie Reynolds and Van Johnson's best performances. Nice camerawork. Very well done in all areas.
December 21, 2009
Fantastic little comedy about a couple (Van Dyke, Reynolds) who decide to end their 17-year marriage. Look for appearences by Tom Bosley (Happy Days) and Tim Matheson (Animal House)
½ December 15, 2009
Divorce American Style is a surprisingly intelligent film. Dick van Dyke and Debbie Reynolds worked well together. The movie was smartly directed by Bud Yorkin. Norman Lear did a good job co-writing this script. This biting satire died at the box office at the time of release but was well-made. The film was quite a revealing comedy about the ins and outs of marriage and divorce. Divorce American Style is a must see if you're a fan of comedies.