Divorce Iranian Style Reviews

• Apr 09, 2011

Divorce Iranian Style is very interesting indeed, along with Runaway, which came as part of the Second Run DVD compilation that I bought. The documentaries are a definite testament to women's agency, as we negotiate, contest, subvert and even manipulate in order to define our many places in life.

• Apr 14, 2009

Longinotto and Mir-Hosseini take the wise decision to install their camera in the corner of a Tehran courtroom and shoot the proceedings straight, so intensely revealing are those events in themselves... There are some despairing turns - nowhere is Islamic law more skewed against women than in the field of child custody - but the generally hopeful tone is set by Paniz, the adorable pre-teen daughter of one of the court clerks, who enjoys the run of the courtroom whenever the judge isn't there, and has already decided she won't be marrying "the sort of rubbish men who come through here".