Divorce Italian Style (Divorzio all'italiana) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Divorce Italian Style (Divorzio all'italiana) Reviews

August 16, 2016
As a bizarre tribute to my mom on her 75th birthday and her 46-year-marriage to her only love, my father, who died in 2011, and to her subsequent loyalty and devotion, with stubborn refusal to even contemplate having another relationship, I decided to watch 'Divorce Italian Style'. It was hilarious and highly enjoyable. It certainly deserved its Oscar win for Best Screenplay, as well as its nominations that year both for Best Actor (Marcello Mastroianni) and Best Director (Pietro Germi).

The latter tends to get thrown under the bus and ignored altogether when it comes to mentioning pivotal Italian directors of the period. Not so. Though this is thus far the only film of his I have seen, the guy--both in terms of script writing this comedy and behind the camera--is a sheer genius. Do yourself a favour and watch it today!
August 16, 2016

August 13, 2016
One of the best comedies ever made.
½ September 12, 2015
While an international success in 1962, one can't help but feel a little uncomfortable today laughing at impoverished Sicilian customs lampooned by largely Neapolitan cast and crew. Still, a fun little romp though.
August 24, 2015
Superb Italian black comedy. Mastroianni plays a slick husband trying to trick her wife into a divorce, done like only Italian can do. Well written and brilliantly done, creating this geniune small-town atmopshere, tucking it in with fast-spreading gossip.
August 23, 2015
incredible film. period.
February 15, 2015
1962 italian filmi.. ba?rolde mastroianni, 12 y?ll?k evliyken a??k oldu?u kuzenine kavu?abilmek ugruna plan kuruour, sad?k kar?s?n? bir ressama a??k ettirior ve onunla kacmas?n? sagl?or, sonra da halk?n bütün gaz?yla kar?s?n? vuruour ve en az ceza olan 3 y?l ile kurtuluor.. sonra yat?p gelior ve güzel angela ile evlenior.. ama filmin son sahnesinde angela ve fefe teknedeler ve ikisi öpu?urken angela bir yandan genc kaptan ile ayaklar? ile oyna??orlar ve film bitior :)
November 20, 2014
Interesting dark comedy. Well photographed and directed. I've really liked Marcello Mastroianni in the few things I've seen him in.
½ November 7, 2014
Incredibly modern comedy on the antiquated Sicily of the 60s, with an impeccable and truly funny Marcello Mastroianni.
August 22, 2014
You just cannot resist Marcello Mastroianni even if he plays a villain. The blend of his wickedness and imagination, the sexy Stefania Sandrelli, the spoof of La Dolce Vita, the vivid score and the ironic plot delivers one of the best dark comedy.
January 26, 2014
Well got to admit, I fell asleep in the last half hour and only just caught the ending - but it was because it was late and I was tired, not because this was boring!
Actually it was really quite a funny movie, I was pleasantly surprised.
Full of pretty unlikable characters, it was hard to feel sorry for any of them. I think that's why it was funny when things went to hell!
Also, did they not have hair removal products in 60's Italy?! What was up with the wife's eyebrows?!
November 10, 2013
It was pretty good, no doubt I did enjoy it.
½ August 7, 2013
I didn't really laugh out loud, but the cynical part of the dialogues made me laugh inside. I see it more like a criticism, rather than a "comedy", because it's difficult to laugh when what's said is exactly true... And, of course, what a performance by M. Mastroianni...
July 30, 2013
That rascal Marcello Mastroianni is wonderful as the man who tries to orchestrate a scenario to kill off his wife to hook up some young thing that he has discovered. Delightfully devilish.
½ April 21, 2013
divertente, wicked !
½ April 20, 2013
Devilshly delicious dark comedy!
March 24, 2013
Obra maestra, Oh Marcello que grande eres.
January 15, 2013
The only way a divorce should be done. ;-)
January 13, 2013
This was really good black comedy from Italy in which a man tries to murder his wife instead of getting divorced. Well shot an has a very jazzy style that makes the comedy more goofy.