D.I.Y. or Die: How to Survive as an Independent Artist Reviews

• Jason S Super Reviewer
    Jan 03, 2011

This is filled with artists who talk about how singular and unique they are but they all dress the same, live the same, and say the same thing through the whole flick. While it touted as having a wide variety of folks that made up the interviews they weren't. The quality of the filming and audio were all over the place and a lot of the time became distracting.

• Oct 10, 2010

Do yourself and skip to the last 15 minutes of this for some condensed motivational words and advice. Otherwise, spend the time being creative, not a spectator. 10,000 hours to mastery...

• Sep 16, 2010

This was a watchable and mildly inspiring look at a few independent artists and their coping mechanisms for starvation. What is disappointing is that it didn't go beyond providing clips of a dozen interviews. A few, very brief tastes of artworks were displayed, but mostly we got philosophy from artists. Why not next interview an economist about physics, or a gardener about interior design? Fortunately, it is an even-handed perspective, but, unfortunately, the even-handedness clearly results from a lack of selectivity. Some of the artists were clearly hacks. A sampling: a punk rocker who sang out of tune, and a photographer who couldn't make money selling pictures of naked women. On the other hand, a few of them were quite good. Sadly, for most there was no sense of their artwork at all. The doc also suffered from a schizophrenic motivation. Was the point to inspire starving artists? To survey a few indies trying to make it? To compile a list of competing philosophies and attitudes regarding the creation of art? Or was it, as I suspect, to produce an hour of footage in the budget of the film's meager grant? This last would excuse its unexceptional quality somewhat.

• Oct 27, 2009

Kinda started on the right foot, and then wanders off into D.I.Y. preach'n'dome... I felt like it would have helpted to get some reaction on the scene from outside of the scene. Some of the people in the independant world are independent because they are kinda crazy.

• Feb 09, 2009

This is very d.i.y. and if you're already an artist you may get bored but check out what Steve Albini has to say in the extras and ask yourself why Ian MacKaye doesn't age? Also, it's amazing how many women are represented here.

• Dec 13, 2008

The movie has good intentions but is rather on the dull side. There are interviews with fascinating people, some who have unfortunately already passed on (RIP). I think Ian Mckaye and Richard Kern have good amounts of screen time.

• Jun 25, 2008

This is such a wonderful film, especially the interviews with Ian MacKaye. I love seeing the punk shine through the newly domesticated men, showing that punks don't die when they get married. Great doc to explore the whys and hows of independent media production. Look for Lydia Lunch too.

• Dec 09, 2006

Weak movie. VERY WEAK

Weak movie. VERY WEAK

• Sep 27, 2006

Great film about the DIY culture. Mike Watt is in this one.

Great film about the DIY culture. Mike Watt is in this one.

• Sep 22, 2006