Django - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Django Reviews

½ January 2, 2017
God, I love this movie. It's nice to settle back to the real Django. Great, now this damn song will be stuck in my head for days again...
December 22, 2016
Fun little ultra-violent western. Love the casket gag. Love how he shoots people up. I think I may like this more than I liked QT's version. Good times. Good concept, good execution.
December 2, 2016
"What cemetery spat you out?"

Gritty, violent and over the top spaghetti perfection. Avoid the English dub!
½ July 5, 2016
Finally got around to viewing this spaghetti classic. Released at the same time as Fistfull of Dollars, this was apparently much more popular in Europe. Nero is great as the tough ex-union soldier Django, playing against warring factions in a muddy, dirty town. Not as outrageous as Keoma, but good wacky western.
March 15, 2016
The phenomenal 60s inspiration for Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained. This is truly superb, filled with fantastic effects and encompasses all a thrilling Western should be with a striking comment on apartheid and struggle.
March 1, 2016
Django (1966) ???
Compelling Spaghetti Western is extremely violent as mysterious man carries coffin to town where he gets on bad sides with both Southern racists and a Mexican rebellion; at turns, both bloody and sadistic. Now-legendary title song, with a terrific finish. Franco Nero is quite effective as Django.
January 7, 2016
It may not be as grandiose a sphagetti western as The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, but it predates it, and its pulpy thrills and exaggerated gun fights certainly were vital towards creating you-know-who's aesthetic.
December 19, 2015
While it contains one of the most iconic opening scenes in cinema history, the direction and Franco Nero's performance don't make it better.
½ October 13, 2015
An amazing B-movie Spaghetti Western that has prompted countless imitations and unofficial sequels (one official only), boasting an iconic sullen anti-hero who would greatly influence the Italian sub-genre. A muddy, violent classic that should not be missed.
August 4, 2015
The music is great. Franc's face is great. The rest of it is pretty forgettable.
½ July 23, 2015
130426: I was very leery buying this $27 BluRay but desperate for some western action on a quite night. Checked my Flixter App. and made the plunge. Turned out to be a decent Spaghetti Western with all the traits that make those westerns so great. Fun film though I wasn't a big fan of the finale - broken hands do not make one shoot better.
½ July 4, 2015
Whoa. Franco Nero. Could this guy be any better-looking?
Violent, much?! Not the best voice-over.
Memorable movie, though.
June 12, 2015
Much-admired cult classic is almost on par with the Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns of the time period.
½ May 3, 2015
Cheesy but entertaining. The original Django remarks as a classic spagetti western with almost all the elements in it.
March 17, 2015
An Excellently Made Spaghetti Western. Django Is Known As One Of The Genre's Best Films After Leone's Dollars Trilogy. The Film Is Not Only Notable For Its Artistry Of It's Construction, But Also For It's Strong Political & Racial Overtones. The Film Is Also Noted For The Number Of Unofficial Sequels, So This Works. Django Only Had One Official Sequel, That Was Django Strikes Again (1987), Where The Style Is Totally Different Again. This Is High Up On My List Of Best Western's ever made
February 21, 2015
one of the best spaghetti westerns i have ever seen and it has one of the best them songs as well
February 6, 2015
THE best Spaghetti Western I've ever seen! Good pace, nice acting, and superior storyline. This is what you should gage when rating Spaghetti Westerns. See it and buy it whenever you can find it!
January 26, 2015
Django is a landmark in the western genre, although overlooked by many other Spaghetti westerns and other classic American westerns, true fans of the genre will appreciate the greatness of Django.

Django is in my opinion the greatest western of them all, Django played by the great Franco Nero, is a mysterious man who walks into town dragging a coffin behind him. Django is a man who finds himself in the middle of a war between Mexican revolutionaries and Sadists. Django fights for himself siding with neither of the parties.

Many people feel that the film is politically motivated, but I don't like to see the film in a political way, I like seeing it as a film. I see Django as the greatest western off them all (alongside The Wild Bunch) the film is so iconic, the way Django drags his coffin behind him in the mud, the close up shots of Franco Nero's face, the scene where Django shoots and kills many of Major Jackson's with his Gatling gun hidden in his coffin, and the crushing of Django's hands with the butt of a rifle. These stylish moments put together collectively make Django the masterpiece that it is, it is very easy to see how Quentin Tarantino was inspired to make the rather uninspired Django Unchained.

The use of Django's theme song in Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained is an insult to this 1966 classic masterpiece the only thing that the two movies share is the use of Django's theme song and one of the greatest cameos of all time by Franco Nero other than that, Django(1966) is an innovative memorable picture and Unchained(2012) is a far too cartoonish and over the top movie.

Overall the movie is one of the greatest films I've ever seen, the acting is masterful, the plot is simple but is backed by an atmospheric setting, there is plenty of action (needed in westerns, very anti-High Noon), the film is thought provoking and stylish, masterpiece.
½ December 31, 2014
A cliche-ridden slaughterfest set in a lawless western border town, post civil war.
Lone, tough guy gunslinger arrives in the area hell bent on revenge for the death of his wife, rescues a damsel in distress, outgunning the bad guys in the process. Damsel in distress turns out to be a whore from a town where every woman is a whore. There are no other sort of women in this film. Django escorts whore to the whore's town where, after more tough gunslinger cliches, he outguns more bad guys. And so it goes on. He places himself between two rival factions: proto-KKK racist supremos and stereo-typical Mexican bandits. Starting with the former, the slaughterfest accelerates. The film then lurches from one slaughterfest to the next interspersed with moments of sadistic brutality, and more tough guy, cliche-ridden dialogue. Django's original motive for revenge soon takes second place to another motive, stealing gold. Oh! And he also lugs around a coffin containing a deadly secret, begging the question why, as a tough, grizzled gunslinger used to getting everything he wants, he has not got a horse and cart to start with.
November 7, 2014
this movie is Tarantino at his best.