Do You Like Hitchcock? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Do You Like Hitchcock? Reviews

October 11, 2016
Considering the quality off some of Argento's later works, I was pleasantly surprised at how watchable "Do You Like Hitchcock?" turned out. There are some brief flashes of the stylish director of old, but for the most part this film is mostly recommended for Argento completionists. 3 stars
June 25, 2013
Dario Argento's later work is very sloppy and poor, but you can definitely see where he tried his hardest to make this film likable. The truth is: there isn't much likable about Do You Like Hitchcock? Although, a nice homage to Hitchcock thrillers, Do You Like Hitchcock? is a dull film that just exploits Hitchcock's best work. If this movie had more relatable characters and maybe didn't have a lack of pace and didn't have obvious twists, this may have been a decent movie.
½ October 9, 2012
One of the surprisingly watchable latter-day Argento films, and one that has something of a built in appeal for the movie nerd crowd. I enjoyed it pretty well, if only because you get a glimpse of an Italian video store, which was pretty cool.

Rental?
½ July 5, 2012
I would think Hitchcock would be pleased by such a stylish homage. Largely a by the numbers thriller with a fairly solid story. Beautifully shot in AH style, with a beautiful cast, it is flattery by sincere imitation.
April 13, 2012
I just love Hitchcock and this movie had an interesting storyline but I feel as it didn't come even close to the greatness it could have been. They tried and I feel in all honesty to my taste , they failed. Their could have been a better usage of all the Hitchcock movies but their were but a few.
February 29, 2012
Chessy effects,& not so brilliant script but on the other hand its got a few suspense scenes but other than that I wasn't really impressed.
Ryan M
February 22, 2012
**1/2 out of ****

As a devote fan of director Dario Argento's work in the horror genre, ranging exclusively from the 70's to the 80's into the early 90's, I have this odd, unexplainable belief that if there is no nostalgia to a modern Argento effort; there is also no effort, or style, and no entertainment value. This belief hasn't been proven invalid since I first proposed it (Argento's "Phantom of the Opera" was truly awful, and most of what followed wasn't much better either); but there's always the possibility of an exception. In this case, that exception is "Do You Like Hitchcock"; a 2005 made-for-television feature from the master of horror himself. Watching it, I recognized a few things: there was no style, but there was effort, entertainment value, and nostalgia in healthy doses. These are things that quite a few of the more recent Dario Argento movies have lacked; and as far as those go, this one isn't half bad.

Well alright, maybe it is, kind of. This un-stylish but never uninteresting thriller follows young film student Julio as he attempts to take part in the solving of what appears to be a series of brutal murders that have been committed in the apartments surrounding his own. The murders share a similar thing: they seem to be inspired, in part, by the films of Alfred Hitchcock. There's irony in the situation; given that Julio and his girlfriend constantly rent out the director's films from their local video store, with Julio closely observing every last scene. So he might be of great service when it comes to finding out who the killer really is.

That's the gist of it, anyways. The first murder is committed in the apartment across the street, where a beautiful woman and her elderly mother live - that is until the elderly mother is the victim of the sadistic killer committing the crimes. Julio is paranoid that he might be the next victim; and we believe in his claims, due to the fact that it's made a known fact that somebody is following the protagonist, just as he is closely following others. It eventually untangles and then tangles itself right back up again; with about as many unneeded complications as intriguing mysteries to be solved. The story is uneven, but the characters are surprisingly well-played by their respective actors, and the movie certainly kept me engaged, no matter how ridiculous or slightly underwhelming it became by the finale.

With a movie like this, I'm simply trying my hardest not to complain. "Do You Like Hitchcock" has its pleasures - a minimalist style that Argento manages to work around in order to deliver some genuine thrills and chills, and a hilarious character that takes the form of a homeless old lady who collects trash from the bins outside random apartments and buildings nearby Julio's - even if they can't make up for its rusty plotting. Nevertheless, here's what I've theorized: people have indulged in cinematically messy stories and overall films for much less, and Argento is simply trying to do something new. What I assume is that a great portion of his fan base will be disappointed by the lack of gore, beauty, and artistry in the final product; but there's also a chance that a few compassionate souls will forgive and forget, and allow themselves to enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Being a cinephile, the references to the works of Hitchcock scattered throughout were enjoyable; and all scenes taking place at the video store that Julio and his girl rent from are energetic and brimming with Argento's non-signature, but non-subtle cinematic fanboyism. Sure, given these plot elements, I acknowledge that Argento probably could have done something amazing; but he crafts a simple yet somehow satisfying murder mystery in the tradition of his early Giallo pictures, minus the exquisite direction that had put him on the map in the first place. Look at Argento's older films, and you'll see that this is far from his best; but look at his newer ones, and you'll notice that it's far from the worst this filmmaker can do. He was once great; and "Do You Like Hitchcock" almost signifies a sort of return-to-form, stylistically, as long as you take out the flowing of the liquid red.

Way better than I could have ever anticipated, and worth seeing if you're an avid fan; I may not particularly like "Do You Like Hitchcock", but I certainly can at least appreciate it for what it is. Argento has tried to achieve something new and fresh for years; and I'll have to say that this is probably it. The film's an uneven mess for sure, but I enjoyed the feeling that I had while watching it. Certain plot elements and visual trickeries reminded me of why I admire Argento as much as I do in the first place; and while I loathe the absence of Argento's signature grotesque artistry by way of the bizarre blood and gore, I like what took its place enough to recommend the film to the Argento-faithful. For those who see it and don't like it; I feel as if I had warned you, and if you think differently...well then, too bad.
½ December 21, 2011
Tuesday, December 20, 2011

(2005) Do You Like Hitchcock?
DUBBED
HORROR/ SUSPENSE

Directed by Dario Argento, using a similar premise to his other classic "Tenebre" except this one reuses Alfred Hitchcock movies about film student living on a dorm whose a fan of Hitchcock start to suspect and perhaps unravel a corralization that's somehow inspired by Hitchcock's "Strangers On A Train" where the other person murders the person she doesn't like and then vice versa. Another question also exists about how other actions of other people are somewhat connected. Music is good like other Agento films with in your face gore which is direct.

3 out of 4
May 27, 2011
Despite a whole lot of awkward dubbing, this manages to be a pretty entertaining homage to Hitchcock, both with overt references and quieter ones. I'm not very familiar with Argento's work, but I enjoyed this. A satisfying little thriller.
May 4, 2011
Better then I thought it would be, but predictable & generic. Not a hint of Argento's style either. At Hulu.
½ May 4, 2011
Not Argento's worst movie (ahem, Card Player) but far from his best.
January 31, 2011
So bad, it's almost good!
½ December 27, 2010
If this was his first movie we would all be saying Dario who
½ December 23, 2010
Enjoyable homage to the late great Alfred Hitchcock by one of the greatest horror directors of all times...Dario Agento.

If you haven't seen the source material, it hardly matters. But this movie heavily relies on themes and plot from Rear Window, Strangers on a Train and Dial M For Murder.

Lots of twists and turns, with some interesting characters and plot lines, however some of the illogic with the police hurt things. Why in the world would they just take the word of an admitted stalker? And them come to his beckon call? Plus the fickleness of the girlfriend was a bit much too.

Aside from that it was very enjoyable. A very different cinematic style for Argento.
November 2, 2010
Don't like Dario Argento
September 25, 2010
Argento should have been stoned for this one.
½ September 17, 2010
One of Dario Argento's lighter takes on suspenseful horror, still good enough to grab your attention and delight all his fans.
½ September 15, 2010
Dario Argento's tribute to Alfred Hitchcock is sweet and effective at times but becomes over the top and all previous effort seems to be lost. A man becomes obsessed with watching one of his neighbors in the building across the way and seems to think there is some kind of murder plot in the works. Slowly he becomes a character from a handful of Hitchcock films particularly Rear Window.