Do You Like Hitchcock? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Do You Like Hitchcock? Reviews

May 29, 2010
Seems I had watched it somewhere before. Funny.
½ May 27, 2010
Perhaps I just haven't seen enough Hitchock films to appreciate it, though I imagine that even were that the case it'd still be a rather flimsy tribute.

I also found the dubbing annoying. I was hoping for Italian.
½ May 24, 2010
Argento's love letter to Hitchcock. It seems more of a Hitchcock movie than an Argento movie. It had more suspense than horror and gore pieces. The music and camera work was very much like Hitchcock films, which is good. I saw tributes to Rear Window, Strangers on a Train (obviously!), Psycho, Dial M for Murder, Vertigo, and probably others, but I'm not a huge Hitchcock fan. There should've been a fat bald man cameo too. It also had the made for TV feel, as if it were an episode of some anthology series. The lead character Giulio was a bit annoying with his need to involve himself in everything. During the video store scene, I enjoyed looking at the movies and posters they chose to display. This movie must've been sponsored by Torino, because it's all over the end credits.
May 23, 2010
I caught this film in the middle of the night and it ended about an hour ago. It was interesting and held my attention well enough at the start to keep me seated through the rest of it, although, I still don't get the correlation between the opening scene, the main story, and the final scene, unless they are simply to reinforce the voyeur-like curiosity that causes Giulio to be caught up in the whole ordeal next door.

The main character reminds me a lot of Ezra Godden's Paul in Dagon... kind of a clumsy, inept, nerdy type with a knack for trouble, not to mention a super cute girlfriend.

I am not familiar with director Argento, so I had no expectations for anything, perhaps that is why some others on here gave a low score, expecting more blood and action that apparently he is known for. I actually prefer the more subtle and what I consider realistic screenplay, and thought the underlying suspense quite effective.

I'm not sure if I would call Giulio a "voyeur" per se, since he makes very little effort to conceal himself when observing others. He's either a really terrible one, or it's simply that it's difficult not to notice others putting themselves on display right outside your window, as I saw the case to be.

Anyway, interesting movie, cute girls, intriguing plot, gets a thumb's up in my book and which I plan to add to my collection at some point.
April 7, 2010
funny how they never mention Rear Window... ho ho.

decent Argento doing his riff on Hitchcock, making De Palma look like an amateur in homage-ing by comparison. This is not always a good thing, especially since Argento is riffing himself off too (sound familiar - an average guy, the protahgonist, sees a murder take place, and instead of going to the police with his clues takes it upon himself to solve the crime(s), with some horrorfying results). In this case it helps that the filmmaker is making light of the guy at the start, as a child, being a voyeur, as it explains why he's such a dick in adult life. But it has its moments though, and some sexy women; the best sequence lacks the usual point-of-view approach from Argento, and is a chase scene in the rain at night that goes awry (think the scene where the car is rolling down the hill in Children of Men).
½ March 21, 2010
taking almost as many cues from Argento's own body of work visually as he does from Hitchcock's this film is a pretty good little flick but starts to fall apart a bit towards the end. Argento fans should be entertained...
½ February 13, 2010
At the moment I can't write a complete review, as I watched this drunk, and it put me to sleep.

I do remember not being impressed though. I'll have to watch this again ...
January 18, 2010
It's sad to watch one of your heroes worst pieces of art. Without the numerous Hitchcock references, it would be almost completely without any intrigue. It is shot in a very basic and unimaginative way, a sloppy effort all around. The acting is terrible and the story is just too obvious and predictable.
January 5, 2010
A nice blending of 3 infamous hitchcock films, this movie presents an interesting tribute to the greatest suspense director of all time. Overall i see it as more of a tribute to Rear Window than any other film, it tells the story of a voyeuristic college student who observes his neighbor through his appartment window and watches as a plot develops that he feels is suspiciously like the story in "Strangers on a train". on the whole it feels like a respectful tribute despite directly lifting a few things directly from the films in whose spirit this one was made.
November 26, 2009
Argento's second to last film (that I am aware of) and is probably one of his more acessible, but that does not mean it lacks his style. It still times time to build up by showing the gothic buildings and his long lensed looming camera creates an eerie feeling. A few nice twists and a smart ending make this for a fine time, but Argento seems content with just making it as need and not adding more to it, which sucks.
November 7, 2009
My second favorite Argento flick....
November 4, 2009
It just kind of looks like Argento forgot how to make a movie. This looks cheaply-shot, cheaply-acted, and seriously how else does the guy figure to keep people watching? Put some boobies in there every few minutes! There are lots, and I'm certainly not complaining (and there are lots, if I haven't mentioned) but Argento at times gracefully homages Hitchcock and then right after he shamelessly rips him off!

Seriously I would take DISTURBIA as a more fitting REAR WINDOW homage than this film. This thing is messy, rather nonsensical, and almost so obvious you start going back to figure out why you're wrong about what's going on until you finally go "oh, yeah, there it is. I was right all along. What a waste of time." Argento has done MUCH better, but if you're a fan of his it's worth a look. He is still better than most out there, especially in the realm of horror/suspense, but this is almost like someone ripping off Argento ripping off Hitchcock!
October 29, 2009
i do NOT like this's soooo.....boring............
September 27, 2009
This was a strange movie. I liked the excitement and such that was in it, but wow was it strange. I guess it just did not have the real deal horror or such I was looking for. NOT a totally bad movie, just not a great one.
September 22, 2009
Un film di merda!!! Regia rozza, vecchia di 30 anni, di stile quasi televisivo, recitazione pessima, doppiaggio orrendo, fotografia inesistente, storia ridicola. Dario Argento...mavvaffanculovà!!!
August 18, 2009
far from argento's best, this serviceable love letter to hitchcock is entertaining enough, but nothing world-changing.
July 29, 2009
Yes, Mr. Director, I do like Hitchcock, but you didn't think I would like your movie only because you had decided to build it on references and citations, did you?
½ July 29, 2009
it felt a bit like a big budget soap opera, but it wasn't that bad...
July 24, 2009
Do You Like Hitchcock? (2005) -- [6.0] -- Dario Argento pays homage to the master of suspense in a story that marries the suspicious voyeurism of Rear Window with the clandestine treachery of Strangers on a Train. It's a small-scale film that manages to muster a fair amount of suspense, but not the kind of violence and gore that Argento fans are used to. It's so much of an homage, it doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but for a tribute, it ain't bad.
½ May 28, 2009
This TV movie is a surprisingly successful and thoroughly entertaining homage to Alfred Hitchcock by the man often erroneously dubbed the Italian Hitchcock, Dario Argento. The plot, a fusion of Rear Window and Strangers on a Train, is (predictably) full of holes, but the film never aspires to be anything more than a bit of fun. It's arguably the best thing Argento's done since The Stendhal Syndrome which, admittedly, isn't that strong a recommendation.