Doctor Who - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Doctor Who Reviews

May 13, 2016
While it's by no means incredible, Doctor Who: The Movie can be accepted by fans as a continuation of the series after it was cancelled in 1989, and since the film's release, McGann has made himself a fan favourite, especially in his Big Finish audios. And Eric Roberts does an excellent, though frankly ridiculous, performance as The Master.
½ May 1, 2016
The horror. The horror.

Doctor Who's classic run is the greatest thing that ever happened to TV. I love the writings of Robert Holmes and Malcolm Hulke, the character acting of Michael Wisher, Patrick Troughton, Nicholas Courtney etc. And Paul McGann is a fantastic actor. He's a perfect Doctor. The team behind this was awful though. Eric Roberts as the Master was awful, down there with Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor as all-time weakest villains. The writing discarded the point of Doctor Who. The direction lacked atmosphere, there was no wit in the script. This was a travesty, a series of cliches, horrid supports, and the only reason this gets a half star is because they succeeded at finding such a great lead.
½ February 12, 2016
This movie was cheesy and generic. But still (kinda) liked it because it's part of Doctor Who canon.
½ January 30, 2016
not a bad Dr Who movie.
December 26, 2015
After Doctor Who went into the dark in 1989, an attempt to reboot it in 1996 came to this movie. Honestly, the story isn't that bad and Paul McGann gives a great performance as the Doctor. However, the supporting actors have nothing to do. The villainous Master is simply an American whose special talent is his accent, his servant is a generic street thug who changes his mind later, and the Doctor's companion is no better than Amy Pond in 2010.
But, in all things, everything else is fine. The special effects may not be that great but it is a TV movie, so we can forget about them. Overall, I felt that a lot of effort went into making this, and I was actually surprised by how far they came to making a further series of Doctor Who, even though that didn't actually happen until 2005.
Overall, even though this film didn't start anything new, it is a fun failed revamp to what Doctor Who could possibly be, and shows us exactly what Doctor Who is meant to be.
December 23, 2015
Whoever wrote the synopsis obviously knows nothing about Dr Who. Paul McGann is the 8th, not the 7th. Also, what is all this about accidentally time travelling and having to reform?
November 3, 2015
Although not the best of Doctor Who, the T.V movie is still honourable to fans of the original series. Thumbs up to Paul McGann starring as the Doctor. He did a terrific job!
October 29, 2015
I love it just because it's doctor who!!!!!!!!
½ October 24, 2015
My only real "guilty pleasure".
½ July 18, 2015
Totally unnecessary. This made for TV Doctor Who film was very cringe worthy, it was fun at times but generally predictable and filled with punchable characters and overused Jellybaby jokes.
½ June 10, 2015
It's really bad, even if you're a doctor who fanboy/girl. (D)
June 6, 2015
Pretty clear how his failed to revive the show.
April 25, 2015
Not the best, but still good. Anything with the Master in is awesome.
March 1, 2015
First off, let me start by saying that, as a Who fan, this is not a bad (TV) film. Well, I mean its saved by one thing; Paul McGann. His interpretation of the doctor was something that helped breach the gap between old and new doctor who. His doctor is perhaps the most inquisitive and as such makes for a very fine performance that manages to carry the entire film. But of course, there are some issues. Quite a bit, really. First off, the TARDIS interior seems completely wrong, going for some kind of human library/old man living room and not incorporating much, if any, science fiction element into the design like every other version. Secondly, the setting. I am not british. But, doctor who is, people. Putting him in america was the worst idea in the film. Oh no, wait, it was casting an American actor as the companion, who comes off as cheesy, ignorant, useless and frankly just eye candy. Next, Eric Roberts somehow manages to give one of the worst, most campy, most unthreatening takes on the master, and I hated every god damn minute of his screen time. Next, the very heavy American influence, especially the gag jokes, that made me want to murder the imbecile who thought them up. Again, any other acting was simply awful. Next, the script, which was a complete and utter disaster with a terrible story and that ridiculous eye of rha or something. Next, mentioning twice because it deserves it, the huge Americanisation of doctor who completely ruined it, dumbing it down for their target audience. After watching this, you'll be glad for Stephen Moffats complex story arcs and narratives. And, yet, with all its many flaws, this TV movie succeeds on the unmitigated charm and reverence Paul McGann brings to this role. At least he got his proper due in Night of the Doctor
February 27, 2015
Despite not having a memorable plot, the movie has introduced us a charismatic Doctor with an amazing personality.
½ February 18, 2015
This was actually quite good for a Doctor Who movie. It may be a bit old-fashioned, but it was good in its time.
February 15, 2015
A fan since the mid 80's I was extremely excited when this originally aired, had to make a deal with my parents to stay up late enough to watch it, and I loved it. I am glad the series finally got back up and running.
½ January 11, 2015
loved it, was not aimed at uk but US but noble effort
December 28, 2014
Really Awesome movie! I'm a Whovian myself the master was awesome and the 8th Dr. Paul so awesome I encourage u guys to watch Doctor who I love doctor who so much! Please WATCH IT!
½ December 12, 2014
Could've been better. But sorry, the Americans just can't make Doctor Who. The plot was poor and too predictable. I give it 2.5 stars.