Doctor Zhivago - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Doctor Zhivago Reviews

½ November 23, 2010
never get enough of this movie..and never able to get over the romance in it!
October 24, 2010
Excellent film, but so so depressing!
½ October 4, 2010
Spent the afternoon watching this one, and it was totally worth it. Wonderful tribute to a classic film. Well done!
August 21, 2010
Why did I watch this movie, like I needed to feel more depressed, sheesh!
June 13, 2010
First thing first: Don't even try to compare it with the epic one 'cos it, by no means, can stand beside the latter one together. Nevertheless, being a TV-movie saga, it has had its scale. The 1965 movie wrapped up in quite a rush for the last 1/4, whilst this version could take all its time available. A bit too flat & passionless overall however. Hans Matheson is all right to be the titled character Doctor Zhivago; Alexandra Marie Lara is ok for Tonya. Keira Knightley tried but was rather green for Lara back then.
May 28, 2010
A darker and more detailed plot is wasted on flat direction, an insipid soundtrack and a wholly unconvincing cast of main players. Keira Knightley lacks the depth necessary for this material and Hans Matheson feels far too modern to be truly believable. Yet even with these glaring flaws, its 225-minute run time flies by, which speaks volumes for just how good it could have been had a few dubious decisions been avoided.
April 28, 2010
loved this drama.....
April 24, 2010
Hans Matheson is YUMMY. End of story. Okay, seriously not as good as the original, but pretty close.
April 18, 2010
Bloody fantastic. I didn't like Keira Knightley much before I watched this - her interviews always seemed rehearsed and she does that annoying teeth thing, but throughout this film I couldn't help loving the way she played her character - so mysterious and brilliant.
Hans Matheson is a rising star, for sure. He played his role so well it's hard to believe he's still so unknown. As for the story itself - I'm usually not into history and things but the exciting and brilliant plot draws you in. It is fantastically depicted and imaginatively filmed.
I loved it.
February 13, 2010
Excellent update to the original. I liked the slight changes to the story that made it more believable.
½ February 11, 2010
It takes a lot of balls to remake a film that is already considered part of the cannon of untouchable motion picture classics. It would be similar to remaking "The Wizard of Oz," "Gone With the Wind," "Citizen Kane," or "The Godfather." And yet, the makers of this two-part film succeeded in producing a remake that - while not as unique or enchanting as the original - stands on its own as a quality film.

Keira Knightley does a terrific job. Hans Matheson has moments of over-acting, but is still adequate. And Sam Neill is appropriately arrogant and villainous. Though this film has a greater sense of realism than the original, it lacks the original's sheer visual beauty. Nonetheless, this is a well-made, emotionally stirring remake.
½ January 31, 2010
I love this movie! although I cryed at the end of part 2 =P
January 5, 2010
A very nice remake of the classic, but sadly not as good as the origional.
January 3, 2010
I saw the older version some years ago, but this was very well done. Hans Matheson played an accurate Zhivago and Knightly brought her normal charm to the role of Lara. It was a very depressing movie, but then again what movies about Russia aren't? Highly recommend.
December 8, 2009
technically proficient
December 7, 2009
This was a well made remake of the classic drama with Omar Sharif and Julie Christie...a very sad story taking place during the Russian revolution..I enjoyed seeing this version although I think the original was better.
September 20, 2009
Cómo se atreven a hacer un remake de tan grande película?!
½ August 22, 2009
Never having seen the original film nor read the book I was totally in the dark about what was to happen. First I thought it was amazing that Sam Neill was almost sexy, then I was disappointed that the Dr Z actually was less so. And by the time the film ended I was disappointed as it somehow felt kitshy. Now I have to see the original. And the biggest minus was that the tv-film did not have the original music. Just some fake dingelidangeli, when one jsut wanted to cry over the romantic tunes. FAKE.
August 5, 2009
I watched a portion of part one and decided there was no compelling reason to continue. The original was so much better -- what were they thinking making this?