Reviews

• Jan 10, 2021

This is a great horror film all about a scientist that is sacked from his job in Paris for going too far with his experiments, so he goes back to his small town and starts kidnapping villagers one by one. He builds a laboratory in the abandoned mines. The horrific thing about the film is that he tries to remove the heart from his drugged victims whilst they are still alive and that part is really disturbing. He also transports a new heart into the corpse of his girlfriend's ex-husband that was killed in a car crash two years ago, it is a hidden gem not to be missed.

• Jun 10, 2017

Before directing more respectable of films like "The Ipcress File" and "Lady Sings the Blues," Sidney J. Furie directed this campy dated British horror film. The titular doctor has been run out of Vienna, so he returns to the English countryside where he continues his radical heart transplant experiments to raise the dead, ALA Dr. Frankenstein. Locals begin disappearing and our bloody doctor comes under suspicion. From a technical standpoint, it's a competently made film, but the story is slow and not all that interesting or horrific, at least until the film's climax. Stick with Hammer Film Productions if you're in the mood for 1960s British horror.

• Nov 04, 2015

Another film in the essence of Frankenstein or other killing people and reviving or graverobbing type of films. This one is just really slow and really boring. Didn't care for thus one much. Seemed boring straight from the jump.

• Sep 12, 2015

Some decent make-up jobs aside, this one was largely boring, with more time than I'd care to mention spent watching our characters walk around a village the surrounding countryside, which is some really dynamic viewing, let me tellya. Pass, unless you're a completist for someone involved in this one.

• Mar 15, 2014

Here, have some curare with your coffee--Good but unsung little horror film in the Frankenstein vein!!

• Jan 16, 2012

As many other movies shot in the 50's and 60's, this one's title and cover are somewhat misleading (lose the coffin). The storyline is about a doctor coming back to his hometown and doing illegal research in order to overcome death. It is not a particularly great or interesting exemplar of such movies, feeling at times like a cheap version of others, although it may be a more or less involuntary pioneer in the zombie movie genre. For instance, I couldn't help but think about Re-Animator (Gordon 1985), which share some basic premises, although the focus of both movie is quite different.

• Dec 01, 2010

Possibly one of the worst films of this genre that I've watched. There was so much potential, and it just dragged on. A lot could've been cut out, and the only reason I sat through it was because I knew the end would redeem itself. And it barely did.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 05, 2010

Another low budget mad scientist movie that's not well made, but has a couple of good actors. I really was disappointed with it, it has such a cool title.

• Aug 10, 2010

Blandly directed horror quickie apes the visual traits of Hammer Studios with varying degrees of success. Nicholas Roeg was a journeyman camera operator on this lurid project, which peaks with a gruesome heart transplant and falls downhill for the remaining 45 minutes. Hazel Court classes up the joint as a sexy, moralistic nurse with a heart of gold.

• Aug 08, 2010

It was perhaps ill-served by an overly salacious title that had virtually nothing to DO with the movie (the titular coffin only makes one appearance), Doctor Blood's Coffin is at its heart a moral struggle with the dawn of human organ transplant and the often bitter battle over whether only God has the power to imbue life or if our understanding is his divine permission to go forward. And in this it succeeds surprisingly well.