Doctor Detroit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Doctor Detroit Reviews

May 20, 2013
This movie was outstanding. Not just because Dan Aykroyd is in it, but also Fran Drescher and a fabulous cameo by James Brown. I wonder why it isn't on TV?
½ May 19, 2013
This film didn't age very well; then again ..I don't think it was ever any good.
½ December 10, 2012
I kind of love this movie. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's very enjoyable. Although both times I watched it it was 1A.M. and I was deathly tired.
½ December 9, 2012
Wanna see a movie that has a dance number completely comprised of Pimps and Hookers? Watch this movie.
December 1, 2012
Doctor Detroit ressemble a n'importe quelle autre comedie coquine des 80's, le sens du comique en moins. La realisation de Michael Pressman (pourtant pas manchot d'habitude) detruit methodiquement tout sens du rythme et le film ne'est reellement interessant que pour ses numeros d'acteurs, Dan Ackroyd et Fran Drescher en tete.
October 16, 2012
3 stars for having "Detroit" in the title (my hometown) other than that this movie sucked. Young Fran Dresher is kinda hot
August 18, 2012
Utterly ridiculous, but it's fun, and somewhat humorous too.
½ July 12, 2012
A comedy without much comedy, but a whole heaping helping of weird!
July 10, 2012
please I really wanna see this movie
May 27, 2012
Doctor Detroit was one of the 1st great white pimps
½ March 23, 2012
I want that man charged with impersonating a cracker.

A pimp who works for his mother's organized crime ring has lost all of his money. He doesn't want to take responsibility for his actions so he cons a college professor into working for him and then the pimp disappears. The professor finds himself running a group of prostitutes that doesn't want to work for the pimp's mother. Can the professor work all day as a professor and all night as a pimp?

"Are you a taxi?"
"No, jerk-off, I'm a person. But I drive a taxi and it's outside."

Michael Pressman, director of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, Frankie and Johnny are Married, A Season of Miracles, and Saint Maybe, delivers Doctor Detroit. The storyline for this picture is classic 80s comedy genre and is of course, ridiculous, but fun to watch unfold. The comedic content is a bit inconsistent and the cast delivers entertaining performances. The cast includes Dan Aykroyd, Howard Hesseman, Donna Dixon, Fran Drescher, Lynn Whitfield, and Hank Salas.

"No, I will not sell my own mother."

Doctor Detroit is a movie my wife remembered from her childhood and DVR'd it for our viewing. I had never seen this picture which is surprising since I love Aykroyd and Chevy Chase pictures from the 80s. While this movie isn't Aykroyd's best film, it is definitely entertaining and worth your time. There are some very funny scenes and this reminded me of Nothing But Trouble. I recommend seeing this film if you're a fan of 80s comedies.

"The doctor doesn't work and he doesn't pay."

Grade: B-
January 25, 2012
Another underrated film from the 1980s. This 1983 comedy film stars Dan Aykroyd as Clifford Skridlow, a Chicago college professor who is used as a patsy by a pimp and becomes a flamboyant pimp Doctor Detroit, protecting the ladies from a woman mobster known as Mom. A movie with lots of humor and class.
½ January 24, 2012
I must have an addiction to crappy '80s comedies because I've been watching plenty as of late. This forgotten flick has Dan Aykroyd as a nerdy college professor pretending to be a sadistic pimp to protect the interests of a group of "heart of gold" hookers. It's trash, but amusing trash.
½ January 14, 2012
This was actually pretty funny. Watching it at 3am though still proves that insomnia sucks.
August 20, 2011
Old 80's comedies with Dan Ackroyd are so much fun. You don't have to say they are great...but they are just pure fun. Watching this at home all these years later it still brings laughs and memories of days past. Thanks Dan.
August 17, 2011
watching some 80s movies nowadays, it boggles the mind that these passed for comedies back then.
June 25, 2011
For a short period of time in the early 1980s someone gave Dan aykroyd free reign to mass produce silly and idiotic comedies like this. Kind of like how Adam Sandler has it now only less funny. One good thing did come of this film. Aykroyd met his future wife Donna Dixon which STILL BOGGLES MY MIND. And oh yeah, this comedy is awful. Avoid. Seriously. Like Anthrax.
½ May 12, 2011
Yeah, it's a bad movie. But he's made worse.
½ April 13, 2011
Stupid, but strangely Dan Aykroyd appealing in a weird kinda' way.
April 6, 2011
The funniest Dan Aykroyd flick you've never heard of.