Doctor Detroit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Doctor Detroit Reviews

June 24, 2010
Not the greatest film work but it's a classic from my childhood & it is pretty funny!
June 5, 2010
Did that just happen? It's a mess and something that could have been pretty good.....but bad writing and bad acting follow
May 13, 2010
The soundtrack is way better than the movie. Which is so awful it's great, but it's actually really awful.
½ May 6, 2010
Not Akroyd at his best. But an awesome dance seen with James Brown....but not really awesome
½ April 6, 2010
This is a comedy that was hit and miss for me. It stars Dan Aykroyd as a college professor who gets conned into pretending to be a pimp called Doctor Detroit. This movie does have some funny moments. Aykroyd is funny in this. The story is kind of silly. But I guess that is expected for the story to work. Aykroyd has made much better comedies. But if your a Aykroyd fan the check this film out.
March 6, 2010
Loopy 80s movie about turf wars and pimping. Despite the subject matter, it is SO mild it`s hilarious. I won`t recommend it to anyone but I will say it filled up my slow Saturday night. Diavalos and the girls were great characters.
February 22, 2010
An unfunny comedy that should be an embarrassment for anyone involved (except maybe James Brown; he still manages to come across cool in his climactic cameo). The acting is amaeurish, the direction non-existant, and when Aykroyd dons his pimp disguise he looks like a cross between Lon Chaney's Phantom and Truman Capote, with Elton John's wardrobe. Utterly ridiculous. Might be decent fodder for a fun bad movie night, but not much else.
February 10, 2010
See I wasn't bull shitting! NOT SAYING WATCH IT, BUT IT DOES EXIST! LMAO
February 5, 2010
Vintage, Dan Aykroyd.
½ January 3, 2010
a silly silly 80's movie... but not bad IF you are in the mood for that kind of thing.
½ October 29, 2009
Not as funny as I thought it was gonna be.Just lame
½ August 7, 2009
The transformation from professor to pimp was a little too quick, but at least the movie never took itself too seriously and had a few laughs. It was very 80's, which is both good and bad in cases.
½ April 3, 2009
Ridiculous, silly, inane...but fun at times. Howard Hesseman (aka Dr. Johnny Fever) was entertaining.
½ April 2, 2009
i so laughing when i watching that movie ,that i just would watched that any time=)))
½ March 17, 2009
I can't decide if Doctor Detroit is just another crappy early 80s slapstick comedy or a somewhat brilliant absurdist comedy ala After Hours. So I'm splitting the difference, but leaning more towards greatness because of the dance sequences.
February 8, 2009
Signature 80s laughs! It's so freaking funny...I'm still waiting for the sequel they promised me!!!
January 10, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested.
November 19, 2008
Fran Drescher plays "The nanny as hooker'. Akroyd goes wild.
October 28, 2008
One of the greatest bad movies of all time, can you go wrong with Dan Aykroyd, the Nanny, Johnny Fever, Donna Dixon and the Godfather of Soul, with sone kind of plot about the legions of Mom fighting a nerdy college professor who did some lines and got a new personality, Dr. Detroit, for the rights to the underbelly of Chicago and the Pimp of the Year contest, possibly some early rendition of the Playa's Ball or at least inspired by it, so very entertaining movie, but very cheesey.
September 26, 2008
It's not one of Dan Ackroyd's best film but it still managed to keep me entertained for the laughs and jokes.