Doctor Detroit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Doctor Detroit Reviews

August 4, 2010
Check out this sweet '80s premise - a geeky but adorkable college professor (Dan Aykroyd) is tricked by a bunch of hot high-end prostitutes into becoming the city's biggest and baddest pimp, "Doctor Detroit". Only in the eighties, right? Reminds me a bit of Night Shift, where Henry Winkler ran a prostitution ring out of a morgue. Doctor Detroit may not be laugh-out-loud funny, but it is fun to watch. Dan Aykroyd was a good screen presence back in his day and without him this movie would not have been as interesting. Howard Hesseman appears in the beginning as a pimp in trouble - he owes the city's kingpin, a fat old ugly cunt named "Mom", $80,000 dollars. He spent the money on a penthouse, expensive clothes, yadda yadda yadda, and has no intention of paying her back. So, he creates a patsy - "Doctor Detroit". Picking up the oblivious, trusting and nerdy Aykroyd at an Indian restaurant, Hessman and his girls show him the time of his life. Hessman of course leaves town the next day and lets all of his troubles fall on Aykroyd's shoulders. But of course, this being a classic '80s screwball comedy - Aykroyd saves the day, makes life better for everyone, and has fun doing it. It even has one of those funny old-school endings where text appears on the bottom of the screen in front of each character - telling you about their wacky future. The foursome of girls in Doctor Detroit are pretty hot (and look great with their awesome ??80s hairstyles), and you got to love whenever Fran Drescher appears in anything from this decade. Just the SHEER IDEA of Fran Drescher is hilarious in its absurdity. I always thought her first flick was 1989's UHF, but she's apparently been around the block a few times. Also, I remember her as a slutty prostitute in 1990's Cadillac Man, with Robin Williams. OK, well, she didn't play a prostitute in that but she sure as hell looked like one. What makes everything alright about the group is that the hookers are decent people with good hearts and even their black driver, Diavolo, is a charming, yet wild, person. This 1983 film was only brought to my attention because of the killer Devo song, single, and video of the title track that I caught on one of their tapes in the late '90s. I even bought the 12?? single. I never even had heard of this film at the time; did they ever play it on TV back then? I doubt it. But, man I can imagine that the critics had a field day with this. Oh well, I liked it.
July 15, 2010
Ive watched Doctor Detroit a number of times over the years but Ive never laughed @ it. Sure it has its charms but it's not all that funny. I find Dan Aykroyd can't carry a movie on his own. He needs a side kick like John Belushi or Chevy Chase to accentuate his comedy. There is a decent supporting cast in Howard Hesseman & the girls are lovely but the script is void of good comic material. Maybe I don't find this trashy enough as Aykroyd is going to be the new pimp it town. Some nudity would have been nice. It was a big bomb @ the show & they even advertised Doctor Detroit II : The Wrath of Mom but since it tanked so badly it never came. Even though Ive never been too trilled on this entry I would have watched a sequel but I doubt that it would have been very good..I would have given it a shot anyways especially if Devo did the theme song.
June 24, 2010
Not the greatest film work but it's a classic from my childhood & it is pretty funny!
June 5, 2010
Did that just happen? It's a mess and something that could have been pretty good.....but bad writing and bad acting follow
May 13, 2010
The soundtrack is way better than the movie. Which is so awful it's great, but it's actually really awful.
½ May 6, 2010
Not Akroyd at his best. But an awesome dance seen with James Brown....but not really awesome
½ April 6, 2010
This is a comedy that was hit and miss for me. It stars Dan Aykroyd as a college professor who gets conned into pretending to be a pimp called Doctor Detroit. This movie does have some funny moments. Aykroyd is funny in this. The story is kind of silly. But I guess that is expected for the story to work. Aykroyd has made much better comedies. But if your a Aykroyd fan the check this film out.
March 6, 2010
Loopy 80s movie about turf wars and pimping. Despite the subject matter, it is SO mild it`s hilarious. I won`t recommend it to anyone but I will say it filled up my slow Saturday night. Diavalos and the girls were great characters.
February 22, 2010
An unfunny comedy that should be an embarrassment for anyone involved (except maybe James Brown; he still manages to come across cool in his climactic cameo). The acting is amaeurish, the direction non-existant, and when Aykroyd dons his pimp disguise he looks like a cross between Lon Chaney's Phantom and Truman Capote, with Elton John's wardrobe. Utterly ridiculous. Might be decent fodder for a fun bad movie night, but not much else.
February 10, 2010
See I wasn't bull shitting! NOT SAYING WATCH IT, BUT IT DOES EXIST! LMAO
February 5, 2010
Vintage, Dan Aykroyd.
½ January 3, 2010
a silly silly 80's movie... but not bad IF you are in the mood for that kind of thing.
½ October 29, 2009
Not as funny as I thought it was gonna be.Just lame
½ August 7, 2009
The transformation from professor to pimp was a little too quick, but at least the movie never took itself too seriously and had a few laughs. It was very 80's, which is both good and bad in cases.
½ April 3, 2009
Ridiculous, silly, inane...but fun at times. Howard Hesseman (aka Dr. Johnny Fever) was entertaining.
½ April 2, 2009
i so laughing when i watching that movie ,that i just would watched that any time=)))
½ March 17, 2009
I can't decide if Doctor Detroit is just another crappy early 80s slapstick comedy or a somewhat brilliant absurdist comedy ala After Hours. So I'm splitting the difference, but leaning more towards greatness because of the dance sequences.
February 8, 2009
Signature 80s laughs! It's so freaking funny...I'm still waiting for the sequel they promised me!!!
shesdownbytheriver
January 10, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested.
November 19, 2008
Fran Drescher plays "The nanny as hooker'. Akroyd goes wild.