Doctor Who - The Pirate Planet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Doctor Who - The Pirate Planet Reviews

½ August 27, 2014
Even Adams himself hated this episode, and it's not hard to see why.
September 24, 2013
Tom Baker awesomeness! Written by Douglas Adams! Killer robot attack parrots! Battle of the robot pets!
August 15, 2012
The Second Story In The Key To Time Is The Pirate Planet, Written By Douglas Adams, When He Was Writing His Own Sci-Fi Classic, The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy. The Pirate Planet See's A Spacecraft, That Just So Happens To Be A Planet, That Transports Over Other Planets, Sucks The Life Out Of Them & Then Compresses The Entire Planets Surface, Into A Small Ball. I Admit It Doesn't Sound To Good, But The Performances From Both The Main Cast & Guest Cast Is Great.
½ August 12, 2011
One of my personal favorite stories and highly underrated. Perhaps the best story from the "Key To Time" season.
June 20, 2011
Filled with absurd and subversive humor, which comes as no surprise seeing as how it was written by Douglas Adams.
October 11, 2010
I was so dissillutioned after seeing The Ribos Operation, that I was probably over-negative about this serial too. In the first 2 episodes of this serial the same problems remain - the acting is embarrassing, the Doctor doesn't seem to care anymore and the assistant is irritatingly smug and obnoxious.

But either my standards dropped or the serial improved (I like to think the latter) and by the end of the serial it wasn't too bad at all. Still not a patch of other Tom Baker stories like The Hand of Fear or Genesis of the Daleks; but the captain himself is a well designed and interesting character, as are the telepathic natives of the planet.

The production has a real pantomime feel to it, and fans of Doctor Who at it's most camp and over-blown (such as Happiness Patrol from the Sylvester McCoy days) will no doubt enjoy this, and I'm sure it is also much more enjoyable to young kids; which, let's face it, is who Doctor Who is really aimed at after all ha!

A huge improvement on the Ribos Operation, but still not up to Doctor Who at it's best.
May 12, 2010
This is one of the best! The second installment of the famous Key to Time series finds the Doctor and Romana on a plant that literally envelopes other celestrial bodies and compacts them down to paperweights. Written by the master of Sci-Fi comedy, Douglas Adams. If you're a Dr. Who fan, check this one out.