Doctor X - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Doctor X Reviews

April 24, 2016
Such a good goddamn movie. One of the best old horror movies I've ever seen. Real snappy and eerie and strange and great. I love it.
November 10, 2014
In an attempt to differentiate the new property from the horror films of other studios, the producers of the film made the decision to produce their creep-fest in the relatively new two-color Technicolor system and persuaded Natalie Kalmus, the color director at Technicolor, to work with them on developing a color scheme that would enhance the mysterious atmosphere they wished to create for the film. The entire look of the film is unforgettably odd.

Doctor X is not the most frightening or memorable horror film to come out of the 1930s, but it is inventive in its early and idiosyncratic use of color and in its remarkable set design. A sequel was made a few years later starring a very uncomfortable-looking Humphrey Bogart, but it is now best forgotten.
½ November 8, 2014
Pretty wild pre-code and early color film that features murder, bordellos, cannibalism, rape and other assorted nastiness that would remain unseen in films until the late 1960s. Michael Curtiz stylishly directed this film (more so than in his later big studio films) about a reporter's attempt to track down "The Moon Killer." The film features Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray and Lee Tracy. Not a classic, but a fun example of what films cold be like in the pre-code era of Hollywood.
August 12, 2013
Super weird, super cool early 1930s colour sci-fi, horror, comedy. I'd love to see a nice clean print of this on the big screen.
½ December 22, 2012
It has its moments. Interesting early use of color and a host of campy mad scientists make this grisly pre-code horror melodrama a tasty treat.
October 25, 2012
This is cannibalism

A serial killer is on the loose and a local physician, Doctor Xavier, believes he can solve the mystery but he doesn't want his efforts getting out to the public. A local news reporter discovers the physician's involvement in the case and sneaks around his house trying to uncover clues. Will the killer take out the reporter and doctor before they can stop him?

"I want to show you a new type of brain cell."

Michael Curtiz, director of White Christmas, Casablanca, Mildred Pierce, The Adventures of Robin Hood, We're No Angels, The Vagabond King, and Yankee Doodle Dandee, delivers Doctor X. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and contains an element of who done it, comedy, and horror all mixed together. The script is fairly clever and the acting is very good. The cast includes Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray, Lee Tracy, and George Rosener.

"What do you think about the incision at the base of the brain?"

Doctor X is a movie I DVR'd off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) during a Lionel Atwill marathon. It seemed like a great movie for this holiday season and it lived up to my expectations. The make up at the end was awesome and the use of the cadavers was a fresh and innovative manner for a villain. I strongly recommend catching this movie at least once.

"Synthetic flesh!"

Grade: B
October 4, 2012
Not high grade horror, but a good spook fest none the less. Would have liked to see more of the make up effects through out the movie as a whole very much wasted in the short time they are used. The nice mix of spooky and mystery based with the that one comic relief and romantic formula that was expected of the time. The two strip color gives a nice touch to the lab equipment.
½ October 4, 2012
early 2 strip technicolor used
June 30, 2012
There were a lot of characters in this film, so it was kind of hard to go back and forth.
October 30, 2011
This Pre-Code film featured a masturbation joke early-on. This film is listed as the first color horror. There is a series of murders that lead the police to investigate a local medical research institute. A journalist is also secretly following this story, and learns that the police let the head of the academy do his own investigation before the officials are let to do their own investigation. The Dr is a able to deduce at least one of his colleagues is guilty, so he uses his super lie-detector machiney thing. There are some cool graphics with the creepy synthetic flesh which at part looks like the Grandpa in Texas Chainsaw Massacre. There is also a clitoris joke (or at least thats how I took it!).
October 29, 2011
An unusually macabre entry in the career of director Curtiz, I found this to be good fun. The set design is tremendous, and the plot is over-the-top in the best way possible. The restored two-color Technicolor cinematography adds a neat aspect to the proceedings, making the laboratory sequences quite eerie and appropriately mad scientist-ish.
½ July 30, 2011
Fay Wray is the rather cute damsel in distress in this silly, but extremely fun squeaky-door/bump in the night murder mystery of Science! If there had never been another movie like it, this could probably have single-handedly inspired Scooby-Doo. The supposed hero is a bumbling prankster of a reporter. The rogues gallery of potential villains are all wonderful caricatures (the entire science department is staffed by freaks!). Very campy fun.
March 17, 2011
Highly rated by the public after its release in 1932, this movie is a real thriller to watch.
½ January 29, 2011
Odd early film from Michael Curtiz about a reporter who is trying to solve the case of the "Moon Killer" and finds his way into a mansion where several scientists (all suspects) are conducting experiments. Well, the idea is clever, and for 1932 it's got some fun moments, mainly from the different types of scientists. The gags are too over the top and dated, but oh well. It's nice to see Fay Wray outside of King Kong. Nothing amazing but it's pretty fun.
October 29, 2010
Creepy, but the problem is it has too many annoying characters. I thought the movie does get a bit creepy in atmosphere but the comic relief is annoying and the characters are a bit bland. But it's not particularialy a bad movie. I gave it a shot and thought it was pretty good.
½ September 16, 2010
Doctor X was an early OK horror flick thats still good but seemed like it couldve been better then what it was.I enjoyed the humor that was thrown in but it seemed to take away some of the creepiness of the film.
September 6, 2010
This movie combines mad scientists and mystery movies, which makes for a very interesting movie.
July 18, 2010
Nothing very much happens in this early Warner sound effort, but a creepy two-strip technicolor process and Fay Wray make it a film worth visiting. When Doctor X finally makes his way onto the screen, he is a terrifying creature- one who predicts the trend of monsters that would blossom in decades to come. But there just isn't enough of him or the interesting characters (the doctor, his colleagues and his daughter). The character that does soak up most of the camera's attention is the one played by the awkward and generally uninteresting Lee Tracy, an actor who takes on both the hero and comic relief roles and presents a hybrid of the two that just doesn't work.
July 16, 2010
This movie actually sent chills down my spine, and not many 30s horror films can do that. I was really amazed at this movie, it had good actors like Fay Wray and Lionel Atwill, it was in colour (I want to find out if it was originally in color or if it was colorized later), and it's got one of the scariest monsters of the 30s. I wasn't expecting much from a movie called doctor X, but this film delivers. I highly recommend checking this movie out if you love old horror pictures.
½ July 6, 2010
A masterpiece of the early talkie horror films by MGM, directed by the great Michael Curtiz. The brilliant two-strip technicolor process and the sophisticated interplay of light and shadow create a genuinely eerie atmosphere which really gets a hold of you.