Dog Pound - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dog Pound Reviews

½ August 8, 2016
Congratulations to all who put this together and made it the compelling film that it is. Not a weak link here. Better than The Stanford Prison Experiment which has the same tense confined atmosphere throughout. Interesting to compare and contrast the experiences of the characters in these two movies.
(Wondered as I was watching where did America get its fine young actors from - then saw it's a Canadian movie!)
July 23, 2016
This survival tale in correction center is very dark and intense , that will leave you shaken
May 31, 2016
Despite the numerous prison cliches, this film fully engaged me as a viewer. It provides a gritty snapshot of life inside a correctional institution for boys and the director sufficiently built the story's suspense to a dramatic conclusion. Clearly the director is making the point about how incarcerated youth get caught in a cycle of recidivism due in no small part to the institution's culture. And yet the film's storyline, themes, and purpose don't seem sufficiently addressed by the conclusion of the film, leaving the viewer feeling hopeless and unsatisfied.
½ February 3, 2016
Not a bad adaptation from the film Scum, gripping and powerful and very much in line with the original version but in a more 21st century tone.
½ September 13, 2015
Similar in its premise to the 70's British film 'Scum'. This is almost as brutal, but not quite as hard-hitting.
August 18, 2015
Hot bowl of shit coming right up.

Three very different young men, with different background, and different crimes committed are the new guys in a juvenile hall correctional facility. There is a strange hierarchy when kids can earn their way to a better life and groups police themselves. Life is made very hard for the new inmates.

"We have a system here."
"Fuck your system."

Kim Chapiron, director of Smart Ass and Sheitan, delivers Dog Pound. The storyline for this picture is just okay and a bit cliché. The characters were not particularly interesting but the settings and execution was unique. The acting was mediocre and the cast includes Adam Butcher, Shane Kippel, and Dewshane Willaims.

"I need to talk to my mother."

This was recommended to me by Netflix so I added it to my queue. This was fairly cliché with your expected male bonding, fighting, and rape sequences. I felt this was kind of blah and not really worth your time.

"Make your stay pleasant here."

Grade: C-
½ July 21, 2015
A viscerally frightening and depressingly unnerving prison drama, Dog Pound sheds a plentiful conglomerate of light among its terrifically talented young cast while exposing the unflinchingly brutal horrors of prison life with intelligence, queasily realistic violence and uncompromising storytelling.
July 4, 2015
Ultra realistic acting, it makes you feel like you're really there. Some of the acting was a little forced, however. It felt unrealistic that all of these terrible events happened in only a month. Nonetheless, the film was highly entertaining, and at many times very uncomfortable to watch. The ending was unexpected, which is good for a movie to have because it makes a film more watch-able and removes cliché.
April 7, 2015
Despite corny, average.
½ March 24, 2015
More like puppy pound but the story is fast paced and interesting even if cliche .
March 17, 2015
Great movie very intense...small indy with great performances...that ending though just made wish it didnt finish...great film
½ February 5, 2015
An interesting film about three boys and their journey through the prison system.
January 23, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH
½ January 22, 2015
Dog Pound is violent and gritty in its harsh realities but with out a plot, conclusion, or purpose beyond its passable shock value, all its melodrama feels like nothing more than ?every prison movie but with teens this time.?
½ December 29, 2014
Although this movie raised more questions than it answered it was still a great experiance.
½ December 2, 2014
My favorite aspects of the way Kim Chapirion directed this movie is his refusal to shy away from the more shocking violence. He isn't being overly indulgent, he's telling it like it is. Its extremely shocking in it's unsparing violence, and incredibly compelling in it's sincere and beautiful characterizations. It was absolutely fantastic. A powerful coming-of-age story trapped inside a prison movie.
November 22, 2014
this wasn't bad, Butch was a monster it made me wonder what his life was like to make him that way, the ending really sucked
November 7, 2014
This is basically scum based in Montana. Brutal in parts and worth a watch if you enjoy prison flicks.
½ October 26, 2014
Tough, visceral remake of 'Scum' including a particularly powerful performance from Adam Butcher
½ October 16, 2014
Dog Pound is solid through and through. While the acting and cast is average, the script is very well put together. As far as movies on Netflix goes it's a must watch. The only problem I have with this movie is the ending, it's less than dramatic but decide for yourself.