Doing Time on Maple Drive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Doing Time on Maple Drive Reviews

½ January 3, 2016
Jim Carrey doesn't believe in vaccinations. He and his movies are idiotic
April 24, 2014
one of the better made 4 tv movies
October 8, 2013
I normally like such movies where families grow or come to understand their issues. That part of this film was fine, but I found the resolution of the movie all a bit too neat. Most of the time, when you throw in a suicide attempt, a coming out, realization you are an alcoholic into a weekend, it doesn't come out tied in a nice bow.
½ November 22, 2012
Awsom movie!!! Jim Carrie @ his best!!
½ April 19, 2012
Adorable time capsule depicting a family in which EVERYONE IS TOTALLY FUCKED UP -- particularly the closeted gay son (who is dreamy). Jim Carrey is his brother, a sad drunk.
August 20, 2010
way dated, but not horrible
½ May 12, 2010
This made-for-TV drama tells the story of the supposedly apple-pie normal yet under the surface incredibly dysfunctional family Carter at a time when the youngest and perfect son Matt (William McNamara) comes home to his family with his perfect fiancée (Lori Loughlin) in order to keep up the façade of his perfect life, while his brother Tim (Jim Carrey) struggles with alcohol under the immense pressure from his father (James Sikking) and the only daughter Karen (Jayne Brook) of the family frets how the father will react to her dreams.
This only shows that everything isn?t as normal or perfect as it seems to be, it never is, but you can NEVER ignore your problems to death. All children strive to please their parents by being successfull or doing what the parents think is best to either be the dream children or differ completely from what the parents want, but sometimes you have to stay true to yourself, realise you?re your own person and not only a product of the two people who raised you at the same time that those two will have to realise that they can?t control every aspect of their precious offspring?s lives. Children aren?t copies, they?re unique creatures. Problematic.
It?s a strong and emotional film and I really loved it. Unfortunately, Jim Carrey?s character gets shuffled under the carpet a bit in favour of the complete uncovering of the ?perfect? son, which isn?t as negative as I make it sound but since I adore Carrey?s more serious roles I couldn?t help feeling a tad bit disappointed that he didn?t get the space he needed to fully develop his character.
I still can?t believe that it was never introduced to the big screen.
Total wake up call.
April 16, 2010
5 stars for realism and great acting - picked it up because I enjoy Jim Carrey in his serious roles. Really enjoyed picking apart the movie plot and guessing the secrets of the characters :D The movie reminded me somewhat of "Everybody's Fine" - if that's your type of movie, you'll like this <3
January 27, 2010
good drama but not enuf jim carrey.
½ April 26, 2009
a frank, realistic @ a dysfunctional family.
March 6, 2009
Really, really loved this movie, thought about it for years, very earnest, young Jim Carrey- and wish they made it into a weekly tv show!
½ January 25, 2009
What a wonderful movie that just pulls every heart string. Really makes you think about the perception of perfect families (that don't really exist). It is a touching story from the beginning to the end.
September 5, 2008
James B. Sikking has a knack for making unlikeable characters understood. He may have based his character on the same military drill instructor of his acquaintance on whom he based his character of Lt. Howard Hunter in Hill Street Blues.

I honestly don't even remember Jim Carrey, one of the best actors performing today, as being the son with whom the Sikking character comes into conflict; but I'm sure he was and that he performed admirably. He always does.
½ September 4, 2008
Mmmm... not an objective rating. Definitely hit home and pulled on the heartstrings a bit.
½ August 3, 2008
I swear this was one of those after school specials. First time I had seen Jim Carey in a serious role. Great gay twist.
½ July 4, 2008
So well done - always makes me cry like a baby!
June 16, 2008
I hate Jim Carrey, but I was still very impressed by this movie. He showed that he could actually act. As opposed to the the jumping and screaming idiot that he plays in every other movie he's been cast in.
June 9, 2008
I recommend this movie to anyone who is comtemplating marriage. It showed that not only two people will be married but also marrying the family, their ideas, and lifestyle. Meeting the family and living in the hometwon you can "feel" the boat you are about to get into. So, it will depend on whether you want to sail in with the boat or jump out.
Sexuality as a "homosexual" is a sensitive matter esp. when it relates to family and learning how to live in that shadow.
Overall, the acting of of William McNamara and Jim Carrey as dramatic actors (no, Jim did not play the gay guy) really shines. Jim's is better here than as a comedian.
MORAL LESSON: Get to know your fiance(e) very well before comitting to marriage...
Lesson 2: Know what you want in life, and be accepted for your decision and for who you are.
February 9, 2008
In an upscale suburban home, the "perfect" family is falling apart. Expectations placed by parents who demand perfection are forcing the 3 children into destructive decisions. The elder son drinks to block out his parents' criticisms of him. The daughter, not wanting to have a child who would have to grow up in such a demanding environment, as been keeping a secret from her husband. The younger son, engaged to the "perfect" girl is trying his best not to be gay, but can't keep his past, or his true feelings hidden. His attempted suicide brings everying to a boil.
October 10, 2007
I really want to see this! I hear it's excellent.