Dolan's Cadillac - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dolan's Cadillac Reviews

Robbanflix
January 1, 2015
For being a rather low budget production this movie was not to shabby at all. Its a thriller with Christian Slater and he keeps making these kind of average movies and they are always atleast watchable in my opinion. In the main role we have Wes Bentley and he is just barely recognizable on the screen for me so far. Anyway the story follows a murder / revenge drama and how many time haven't we seen that before.. still an enjoyable plot all together for this type of "low budget" genre. Great unusual ending aswell !
½ March 5, 2014
Dolan's Cadillac is the ultimate thrill ride with plenty of drama and a clever revenge plot with great performances by Christian Slater and Wes Bentley.
½ May 28, 2013
nothin really special. it'd be alright if there werent already a bunchh of really good revenge flicks....it'd only be alright tho
March 3, 2013
This is a poorly edited and mediocre story of a film. This shouldn`t be on anyone`s list of movies to watch.
November 25, 2012
Actually better than I expected...
½ November 11, 2012
The book is ten times better than the film, I didn't think the film was any good. it starred Christian Slater, I don't want this film on DVD
November 3, 2012
a new short story by Stephen King.. Christian slater with the usual kinda psycho-lunatic style!! You should check this out!!
½ September 2, 2012
Somewhat faithful adaption of Stephen King's short story with a welcome scene-chewing performance from Slater. Unfortunately Bentley is woefully miscast in the lead drowing out what could have been a decent thriller.
August 11, 2012
With this film, what you see is what you a get: Robinson sets out to get revenge on Dolan. A surprisingly enjoyable film, in some ways, because of its leanness, though as an adapted short story, there are still obvious bits of plumping up - no one would release a 60-minute feature. The fetishization of detail in King is always interesting: the reality of the Cadillac, and the gun, and the master plan, all coming to a gritty conclusion. I don't think it could've gotten a bigger budget, and I don't if that would have made it better, but for a straight-ahead, revenge-by-numbers story, it was a solid flick, and decently-enough acted, particularly by Slater, who almost seemed to mean to go over the top... almost.
½ April 1, 2012
Nice cinematography, dumb lines. Better watch on mute while listening to some music and running on a treadmill or something.
½ March 6, 2012
Let's make this long story slightly shorter. There's a guy. He's married. His wife is killed. He wants revenge. He spends a long time trying to get it. He either gets it or he doesn't. The end. Did I just sum up a lot of movies? Well, if you think I did, then you'll realize how easy it is to summarize Dolan's Cadillac, a film that has nothing special going for it apart from the fact that it's loosely based on a short story by Steven King.

In this case, the guy is named Tom Robinson (Wes Bentley). He and his wife, Elizabeth (Emmanuelle Vaugier), are both teachers. This means we think they're good people. I mean, teachers are supposed to be good, right? Anyway, the first day we meet them, we learn that Elizabeth rides horses, as she tells her husband she'll be out riding instead of coming home for dinner. He doesn't think this is suspicious, so I assumed it's a common occurrence. If this was a drama, she might go cheat on him instead of ride around the countryside.

While riding, she notes that there is a vehicle with a trailer pulled over on the side of the road. It's approached by a Cadillac. Those of you who pay attention will note that the title of the film also mentions a Cadillac. We conclude that a man named Dolan (Christian Slater) owns this vehicle, and since we first see him after tilting up from his shoes as he gets out of his car. He promptly shoots the people in the car ahead of him. Elizabeth is shocked by this, although instead of running away, she pulls out her phone. I'm not sure if she was going to take a picture or call the police. The back of the trailer is opened, and we see a bunch of people gasping for air. Some of them are dead. One tries to run right to where Elizabeth is. She gets shot, and Elizabeth runs off, dropping her cell phone in the process.

Eventually, after much time and a pretty stupid decision, Elizabeth is killed and Tom wants revenge on the man who did it (presumably that person is Dolan). So he buys a gun, stalks Dolan for a while, stalks him for even more time, and eventually things happen and a conclusion is reached. I won't give away whether or not he succeeds, but I will say that he takes an incredibly long time to actually attempt his revenge.

He buys a gun right away. The biggest gun he can possibly buy and still wield. We even see him shoot it at a range for the first time, and the recoil sends him on his backside. He's not a person who is ready to kill, and at one point, the two characters have a confrontation and Dolan tells Tom exactly this.

What does this mean for us? Well, it means that we spend a great deal of time waiting for something to happen, but nothing does for far too long of a time. This would work if the film itself was thrilling and kept us engaged, but I was nodding off for a large portion of it. There's even a point when Dolan gets trapped by Tom, but even after this happened, we had to wait what felt like hours for anything to come of it. (I think it was only about 30-45 minutes, but it certainly felt longer.)

For a revenge film to work, we need something apart from the revenge to hold our attention. Do we care about the main character? Can we see that his quest is tearing him apart? Is the villain interesting, and do we really want to see him die? In this film, all of those questions can be answered with an emphatic "I don't care." The main character is supposed to be Tom, although he's basically your generic good guy who wants to do right for his wife. Right after her death, he starts abusing drugs and alcohol, but soon enough, he's fine. He even gets beat up at one point, and then goes to his job the next day, functioning almost perfectly apart from pushing his papers off his desk. If this is supposed to be an intriguing guy, then I'm not seeing it.

Then there's the villain, Dolan. Apart from having a pretty nice car, which we find out is bulletproof, he has more charisma than Tom. At least he had somewhat of a personality, despite the fact that he's a sex slave trafficker. I mean, I know that he's the bad guy, but since he made me laugh a few times, I didn't really want to see him die. His interactions with his cronies were probably the highlights, simply because of the was his character was written and the way he describes the world around him.

This poses a problem when the final confrontation occurs. Do I want to see this bland, lifeless character who just happens to be a schoolteacher win? Or do I want to see the character who managed to make me laugh, even if he's not supposed to be likable? This conflict of interests was more interesting than the film that contained it, and this is not indicative of a good film. Neither character is complex, so it's not like I'm indecisive because they both contain good and bad elements. No, I know who is the good man and who's bad, but in terms of being entertained, the bad guy satisfied that desire far more often.

There's a reason that Dolan's Cadillac went direct-to-DVD. It simply isn't all that good, even if it doesn't have a completely unknown cast. It simply fails at thrilling or entertaining its audience, as it doesn't feature a lead character who we can root for. I didn't care if he got his revenge, and at times, I actually wanted to see him fail, just because the bad guy made me laugh more. This isn't a good film, and it doesn't deserve your 90 minutes.
½ February 8, 2012
I liked SLater in this, the movie itself wasn't that bad doh
January 31, 2012
Tuesday, January 31, 2012

(2009) Dolan`s Cadillac
THRILLER

Saw this film about two years ago which is nothing but straight-to-rental low budget crap which claims that it`s from a short story written by Stephen King centers on human trafficking in the desert! I really hate films when not a single person believes that person especially their spouse until her life is taken away(in this case the girlfriend) is when somebody decides to do something about it is repititve and clice and predictable to say the least! Christian Slater stars whose looking for work as the main antaogonist and unconvincing at that too!

Bomb
December 26, 2011
Cinema Fantástico - Fantas 2010
½ November 6, 2011
A Stephen King psychological thriller. Not his best but alright.
½ October 16, 2011
Fruktansvärd usel adaption av Stephen Kings novell, något han måste vara van vid med tanke på hur många dåliga adaptioner det finns utav hans böcker och noveller. Men denna är den värsta jag har sett, sövande med fruktansvärd dåliga skådespelare i huvudrollerna. Jag är glad för att jag vann filmen på Moviezine, hade jag köpt den så hade jag gråtit syndafloder..
September 25, 2011
Pretty good. A little messed up film based on a Stephen King story.
September 15, 2011
Faint revenge flick with one dimensional characters and predictable story: the little twist in the end is not enough to redeem all the previous boredom.
½ September 14, 2011