Dolly Dearest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dolly Dearest Reviews

August 12, 2016
Pitiful Chucky wannabe.
May 21, 2016
Dolly Dearest is the perfect selection for a bad movie night. It is unintentionally hilarious due to the fact that the movie is played straight throughout. Rip Torn's terrible Spanish accent is great and the terrible acting is hypnotic in a strange way. It does have a positive buried in the dreck which is the actual dolls used in the movie are kind of cool. The animatronics used for the doll's facial movements are neat especially for the time. It was actually strangely convincing.
½ March 3, 2016
the best part of this movie is this little nugget of dialogue...

12 year old boy: "play with this bitch"
*boy proceeds to shotgun the heck out of dolly dearest*
January 27, 2016
It was never going to be scary, so they should have spend some more time on the gore/humour. Unfortunately, the comedy moments are fleeting and the gore is non-existent. Stick to Child's play, the first two anyway!
½ October 2, 2015
It's basically The Omen meets Child's Play. In fact, key moments from The Omen are practically ripped off of completely. The doll is laughable, it's a little slow and boring, and it wraps up instantly. In fact, the credits roll at the oddest possible moment. Intense music is playing, the dolls have been destroyed, but are they REALLY dead?! Oh no, intense music, close up on the fire, and!... oh, it's over. Strange little ending there, but okay.

The acting isn't too bad. In fact, it's actually a pretty good cast, they just have absolutely nothing to work with. The doll just isn't scary, there aren't enough kills, there's no real payoff (or even build up for that matter). If you're scared of dolls, perhaps you'll find this scary, but once she starts talking, I really find it hard to believe that anyone would be scared.
½ September 19, 2015
Slow,stupid and boring with bad performences and chessy effects.Stay away!!!
½ August 30, 2015
The dictionary definition of an average Horror B Movie.
½ May 1, 2014
A copy-cat of Chucky
March 3, 2014
Ah, the early 1990's when creepy dolls were making an appearance. I enjoy watch something close to a Cabbage Patch kid stalk and terrify a 6-year-old boy, nothing beats watching that same psycho toy stabbing someone a hundred and still leave me on the edge of my seat thinking one of my Barbies will hop off the shelf and slit my throat open. That is what Dolly Dearest did for me. I have been a fan of creepy doll films since I discovered Chucky and have made it my mission to watch all of them and collect the one that made my skin crawl and left me checking my toys for signs of homicidal tendencies before going to bed. Dolly Dearest, though clearly a bit older than Chucky, was one of those creepy doll films I enjoy watching anytime I get the urge to watch possessed toys kill without the perverted humor of Chucky.

Dolly Dearest takes everything we know about evil dolls and throws it at you throughout the movie, obviously showing you how this adorable toy became the psychotic, sadistic monster that we see go on a rampage throughout the movie. The fact we are not sure where this demon came from or what it wants until the movie decides to clue us in on it all is sure to keep the attention of the audience but the few cliches thrown in do make it seem like a typical killer doll.

So while Dolly Dearest does have its drawbacks in character, its plot and special effects are certainly decent given the year and quality of the movie in general. Its a decent movie but don't expect many jump scares from it. Just enjoy the gore and excitement of killer demonic dolls on the loose.
January 18, 2014
please can watch this movie
½ January 5, 2014
Beautiful, hand-manufactured ... little bitches--A creepy piece of work!!
½ January 2, 2014
Awful Child's Play ripoff.
March 13, 2013
This was'nt even funny. Boring as hell.
March 5, 2013
use too scare me soooo bad
March 4, 2013
Some creative minds say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but I bet those people are inwardly seething... grinding their teeth, wishing misfortune upon those perps who capitalise on their success. When a film like Jaws came along it was followed by a string of creature features riding it's coat tails... from Piranha and Alligator to Razorback and Devil Fish... but these were tongue in cheek and paid homage to their inspiration.

in 1975 Trilogy of Terror featured a killer voodoo doll and then it wasn't until 1985 that Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator) made a modest little horror movie called Dolls. Few people saw it until years later when Child's Play came along and terrified audiences... both were inventive and well crafted interpretations of the creature feature and Child's Play affectively played with film noir. What followed was an onslaught of copycat flicks. Puppetmaster and Pin were two popular examples and of course, Dolly Dearest. This is perhaps the most blatant of the Child's Play clones and while its similarities are shameless, the movie still has a charm of it's own. A family moves to Mexico to take over an abandoned doll factory where one of the toys is possessed with an ancient Mayan curse. A pretty little doll comes to life and channels evil through the family's young daughter. Denise Corsby and Rip Torn add a touch of genre cred and the script moves at a steady pace, making for an easy watch. The death scenes are well staged and creative and the doll is wisely kept in the shadows, avoiding lots of tacky puppet crap. Mark Snow of X-Files fame provides an affective and eerie score to help bring together a nice little genre pic that manages to shake the rip-off stigma and stand on it's own. It might have been poorly received at the time but 20 years later I think it offers a guilty flashback with fonder perceptions. But hey, that's just me.
February 10, 2013
scary for a little girl named jessica. its a female chucky
January 11, 2013
I LOVE SCARY DOLL MOVIES!
½ January 7, 2013
A film with some wonderful B-moments (any time the little girl has to act evil are priceless and the times the little boy trying to be an archeologist) and a lot of squandered potential. The plot and set up left room for some fun ideas, but by the end of the film it forgot to be about the story and instead followed the routine of generic horror. The fx were great though and its attempt to be the Omen with a doll was strange to say the least.
December 7, 2012
May watch...
October 27, 2012
Archeological dig uncovers the tomb of the Sanzia devil child whose spirit is unleashed and enters a doll factory in Mexico. Decent effort but really just an attempt to make some cash of the successful Child's Play films.