Dolly Dearest Reviews

February 1, 2011
Awful! ..and beyond boring. It's not scary or good. Don't waste your time, it's all too predictable.
ScoopOnline
December 11, 2009
Never underestimate those Dolls Movies. They can be very creepy. I think Movie was very under rated.
LWOODS04
½ September 10, 2009
This movie scared the crap out of my little sister. She didn't play with her dolls for months.. I thought it was funny...
RCCLBC
July 22, 2008
We DVR'd this little "gem".
It is mostly PURE CHEESE...but there are some scenes with the possesed dolls that are actually kinda creepy.
The storyline is ridiculous and the acting is mediocre, but (at times)..."dolly" is one creepy little bitch!
½ July 2, 2011
A "Child's Play" Wanna be, but it had a good story and a very scary\creepy antagonist.
iLeo
April 18, 2009
Definitely a treasure!
KevinTheMovieManiac
November 24, 2008
a very bad movie, a rip-off of Child's Play.
½ November 4, 2007
MAN this movie is just crazy! I watched this when I was little, it freaked me out a litle then, but now I just love it! : ]
½ July 10, 2007
I love killer dolls. This movie is a Child's Play knockoff that delivers on supense. Only complaint is it's a little low on gore. It's funny, suspenseful, and has a smart cast.
½ December 24, 2014
stupid,boring and very bredictable this movie false to be scary
½ May 1, 2014
A copy-cat of Chucky
March 3, 2014
Ah, the early 1990's when creepy dolls were making an appearance. I enjoy watch something close to a Cabbage Patch kid stalk and terrify a 6-year-old boy, nothing beats watching that same psycho toy stabbing someone a hundred and still leave me on the edge of my seat thinking one of my Barbies will hop off the shelf and slit my throat open. That is what Dolly Dearest did for me. I have been a fan of creepy doll films since I discovered Chucky and have made it my mission to watch all of them and collect the one that made my skin crawl and left me checking my toys for signs of homicidal tendencies before going to bed. Dolly Dearest, though clearly a bit older than Chucky, was one of those creepy doll films I enjoy watching anytime I get the urge to watch possessed toys kill without the perverted humor of Chucky.

Dolly Dearest takes everything we know about evil dolls and throws it at you throughout the movie, obviously showing you how this adorable toy became the psychotic, sadistic monster that we see go on a rampage throughout the movie. The fact we are not sure where this demon came from or what it wants until the movie decides to clue us in on it all is sure to keep the attention of the audience but the few cliches thrown in do make it seem like a typical killer doll.

So while Dolly Dearest does have its drawbacks in character, its plot and special effects are certainly decent given the year and quality of the movie in general. Its a decent movie but don't expect many jump scares from it. Just enjoy the gore and excitement of killer demonic dolls on the loose.
March 4, 2013
Some creative minds say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but I bet those people are inwardly seething... grinding their teeth, wishing misfortune upon those perps who capitalise on their success. When a film like Jaws came along it was followed by a string of creature features riding it's coat tails... from Piranha and Alligator to Razorback and Devil Fish... but these were tongue in cheek and paid homage to their inspiration.

in 1975 Trilogy of Terror featured a killer voodoo doll and then it wasn't until 1985 that Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator) made a modest little horror movie called Dolls. Few people saw it until years later when Child's Play came along and terrified audiences... both were inventive and well crafted interpretations of the creature feature and Child's Play affectively played with film noir. What followed was an onslaught of copycat flicks. Puppetmaster and Pin were two popular examples and of course, Dolly Dearest. This is perhaps the most blatant of the Child's Play clones and while its similarities are shameless, the movie still has a charm of it's own. A family moves to Mexico to take over an abandoned doll factory where one of the toys is possessed with an ancient Mayan curse. A pretty little doll comes to life and channels evil through the family's young daughter. Denise Corsby and Rip Torn add a touch of genre cred and the script moves at a steady pace, making for an easy watch. The death scenes are well staged and creative and the doll is wisely kept in the shadows, avoiding lots of tacky puppet crap. Mark Snow of X-Files fame provides an affective and eerie score to help bring together a nice little genre pic that manages to shake the rip-off stigma and stand on it's own. It might have been poorly received at the time but 20 years later I think it offers a guilty flashback with fonder perceptions. But hey, that's just me.
½ January 7, 2013
A film with some wonderful B-moments (any time the little girl has to act evil are priceless and the times the little boy trying to be an archeologist) and a lot of squandered potential. The plot and set up left room for some fun ideas, but by the end of the film it forgot to be about the story and instead followed the routine of generic horror. The fx were great though and its attempt to be the Omen with a doll was strange to say the least.
July 24, 2012
Everyone seems to hate on this movie. I thought it was great. Having said that the story pretty lame, the actors are unappealing, and the production value leaves much to be desired.

But, i thought it was fun as hell to watch and it's a great little time warp to the 90s. Any self respecting horror fan should watch it.
½ February 4, 2012
Interesting story with the results of Child's Play.
July 22, 2007
A fetid Cliche Cake of a movie, baked on an Indian burial ground and sprinkled with despair.
½ July 2, 2011
½ May 7, 2010
well I guess the acting wasn't bad but the trouble with Dolly Dearest was that everything else was.
½ October 9, 2006
[font=Arial Black][size=4][color=white]This movie is about a man and his family move 2 new mexico so he could work in a factory making dolls well his daughter wants one but the doll they picked was some how possed by evilness sorta like chucky but i think its alot scary cause when i was younger and first seen that doll sitting in that rocking chair with that evil look on her face i was scared to death.[/color][/size][/font]